Different body parts perform different body functions. Many people think parts like eyebrows and eyelashes are not as useful as other parts. But this is not the case. You, too, sometimes wonder why do we need eyelashes or why do we need eyebrows. Not to worry because all these questions regarding why do we have eyebrows and eyelashes will be answered today.
1. What are Eyebrows and Eyelashes?
The area above your eyes with bow-shaped hair is known as the eyebrow. Hairs grow on the edges of eyelids are the eyelashes. The eyelashes on the upper eyelids are larger than the hairs on the lower eyelids. They are most commonly known as lashes also. In Ancient Greek, people called it blepharon which means roots. (See What are Physical Characteristics of a Person?)
2. Why do we have Eyebrows and Eyelashes?
Other than protection work, your eyebrows are the indicators of your mood too. Anger, surprise, happiness, confusion, etc., all expressions can be understood by the positioning of your eyebrows. For example, when you are asking something, you raise your eyebrows twice or thrice. The other person understands that you are asking something. Also, check out What are Typical Irish Facial Features?
Eyelashes are like human whiskers. They are also a part of your personality and expression. They indicate the movement of your eyelids so the other person can easily catch what or where you are looking. (See Why do people touch their eyebrows while speaking?)
3. Why do we need Eyelashes?
You need eyelashes for several purposes, including protection and prevention of eyes from outer harm. You must have experienced that when you are in rain, water drips from your eyelashes but not from your eyes. This happens because your eyelashes prevent any liquid from entering your eyes. They even keep sweat from entering your eyes. (See Why Do We Have Armpit Hair?)
4. In what other ways do Eyelashes protect your Eyes?
In terms of protection, eyelashes not only protect your eyes from liquid substances but also prevent all sorts of foreign materials like dust, debris, sand, etc. from entering your eyes. Eyelashes also help in retaining the moisture in your eyes by reducing evaporation. (See What Are Physical Attributes?)
5. How sensitive are Eyelashes?
While we are on this topic of why do we have eyebrows and eyelashes, understand that your eyelashes are very sensitive to touch because if you touch even the tip of them, it triggers the blinking reflex. You might have problems applying contact lenses or makeup. You cannot help but blink unintentionally. This is the defense technique of your eyelashes. (See When and How do Body Systems Work together?)
6. Do fake Eyelashes do the same?
No, false eyelashes are not the natural protector of your eyes. Instead, they affect the functioning of your eyelashes, leading to dry eyes, eye infections, etc. The glue used to fix them can be dangerous to the eyes if not removed properly. (See 23 Common Makeup Mistakes You Must Avoid)
7. Is it fine to Trim Eyelashes?
Trimming off the uneven hair is fine, but extra trimming is not a good idea. The length of everyone’s eyelashes is perfectly fine for them and their eyes. And trimming them short will affect their functioning and your eyes will be affected by dust, debris, etc. (See What makes female face attractive?)
8. Can you Dye Eyelashes?
It does not make any sense to dye your eyelashes. But still, many people prefer doing so with colorful mascara and other ways. In terms of make-up, it is a normal thing, but in terms of your lashes, it may cause damage to them. If you have to do so, make sure to use make-up remover accurately to remove all the remains of the color or make-up. (See How Long do Ear Piercings hurt?)
9. Why do we need Eyebrows?
To understand why do we have eyebrows and eyelashes, the location of your eyebrows is on the brow bone, which helps them serve their purpose. They are like an umbrella over your eyes which keeps sweat and other liquids from reaching your eyes. You can feel the sweat running down the side of your eyes, near the temples, but not inside the eye sockets. According to a study conducted on eyebrows at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), they concluded that eyebrows are a distinctive facial feature and without them, it would be hard to recognize each other. Must read about the Pubic Hair Wig Fashion.
10. Is it healthy to Pluck Eyebrows?
Plucking a couple of eyebrow hairs does not affect the functioning, but thinning them to a large extent surely alters their functioning. Having a thick eyebrow is much healthier for your eyes rather than having a line in the name of your eyebrows. (See What is the Golden Ratio face?)
11. Is it safe to dye your Eyebrows?
Dyes, artificial coloring, etc., are harmful to the eyes. But if you are planning to dye your eyebrows, make sure to keep the color away from your eyes. This may lead to some serious infections and vision problems. Also, make sure the dye is safe to be used on sensitive facial skin. (See What do eyebrow slits represent?)
12. What are the Diseases related to Eyelashes and Eyebrows?
Take a look at the following disorders and diseases to better understand why do we have eyebrows and eyelashes,
- Blepharitis irritates the margin of the eyelashes and eyelids. The skin on the margin becomes flaky and the eyelids are always itchy and red.
- Crab Louse is a condition when eyelashes become infected with parasites.
- Demodex folliculorum is a small mite that lives in eyelashes and hair follicles. These mites may lead to blepharitis.
- Distichiasis involves abnormal eyelash growth from certain eyelid areas.
- External hordeolum is the inflammation caused by the infected eyelash follicles. It is also known as Stye.
- Madarosis includes loss of eyelashes and eyebrows.
- Trichiasis involves eyelashes ingrown in the eyelids.
- Trichotillomania is a disorder in which the person pulls out their eyelashes, scalp hair, etc. (See What is a Hair Cowlick?)
13. How to take care of your Eyelashes?
As you already read why do we have eyebrows and eyelashes, note that being an essential and sensitive part of your body, eyelashes also need to be cared for.
- Moisturize them with almond oil and vitamin E. You can also use eyelash serums before applying make-up for better protection.
- Avoid applying mascara from the very root of the lashes.
- Use a gentle eye make-up remover. Dab the solution with a cotton pad on your eyes. Do not scrub, rub, or scrap.
- Collagen and Biotin improve hair health. Try to involve them in your diet for better results.
- Lastly, if you face any problems constantly, it is better to visit an optometrist or ophthalmologist. (See What makes a man’s Eyes attractive?)
14. How to take care of your Eyebrows?
Why do we have eyebrows and eyelashes, it is a good choice to keep your eyebrows thick and healthy. Take a look at the following tips.
- Use a mascara brush to comb your brows. It will improve blood circulation in the roots, stimulate hair growth and give them a neater look.
- Avoid brow make-up gel and use brow growth serum. (See What makes a Man’s face attractive?)
- To reduce irritation, use aloe vera gel.
- Massage castor oil and comb the brows for shiny and thicker brows.
- Avoid plucking the hairs. Instead, comb and shape them with a brush. Must read about the 35 interesting ways to use vaseline petroleum jelly.
I guess now you know why do we have eyebrows and eyelashes. Also, why do we need eyelashes and why do we need eyebrows. It is time to share this hairy information with your make-up lover friends and family members. (See What are typical German Facial Features?