Education is a necessity but academic study after the basics is a choice you can make. Not many get their hands at going on for higher education but if you do it right, it’s a privilege! Starting from school, higher school, college, or university, there are different levels of exams you have to crack and get the respective degree to go further and accomplish more. So, what is the first bachelor degree? What does Bachelor mean in a degree? What is the difference between a first degree and a higher degree? Let’s begin and dive into these questions.
1. What does Bachelor mean in a Degree?
As an answer to what does Bachelor mean in a degree, one can say that it is a degree that a student pursues from a college, university, or organization which lasts from a duration of three to six years as per the subjects and field of study chosen by a person. The term bachelor comes from modern Latin called baccalaureate and this comes after high school or higher secondary and is an academic study chosen to pursue a future. A degree is quite important to get a job or work after completion. The way this function changes according to different states and countries. (See List of field of study examples)
2. What do you mean by First Degree?
A first degree is a degree that one acquires at the end of undergraduate studies. This is the academic step after completion of higher secondary schooling. The choice of first degrees to a great extent gives a shape for the future.
This again has different approaches and rules according to where you are studying. The course for this degree can take three to five years depending on the specialization and once this is done you receive the degree. Once you go for higher studies after this initial course period then the completed degree is known as the first bachelor’s degree which is the undergraduate. (See What are the benefits of studying computer science?)
3. Is a First Degree the Same as a Bachelor’s?
The answer to this is yes, a first degree is the same as a bachelor’s as this is the undergraduate degree that you receive post your higher secondary education. This degree is something that is not considered basic education and not all people go ahead to get a degree from college. The path you choose for your first degree or the bachelor’s degree guides you to a higher degree or job in that particular field. This degree is what some take as the undergraduate before their post-graduation which is the degree one does after completing the first bachelor’s degree. (See What is 78 percent grade?)
4. What is the First Bachelor Degree?
The first bachelor degree is education after higher secondary which lasts from three to six years as per the course chosen. There are multiple examples of this like economics or political science honors that take three years, fine arts and engineering take four years, whereas law takes five years for the whole course to be complete and this becomes the undergraduate or the first bachelor degree.
This is the preliminary degree that serves as the base for any resume or CV that can be an important factor in jobs and internships. A degree can be called a first bachelor degree only if you go on to pursue another degree in a different field which is also a first bachelor degree of yours. Check out What First Class with Distinction means?
5. Why is the First Degree called a Bachelor’s Degree?
The reason why is the first degree called a bachelor’s degree is that it is an immediate academic course after higher secondary education. This is considered the undergraduate degree and in many countries, this undergraduate degree is called a first degree. A person is considered to have a first degree or a bachelor’s degree once they complete an undergraduate in one field or subject and go on to get another bachelor’s degree in another field. A degree is considered as the first bachelor degree only if the next degree you take is an undergraduate and in a whole different field. (See Why studying is important?)
6. What’s a 2nd Bachelor’s Degree?
A 2nd bachelor’s degree is when you already have a degree completed from a college or university and then go on to get another degree in a completely different field but it is still a bachelor’s degree. If you have a degree in bachelor of economics or BA Hons and you go ahead to get one in bachelor of fine arts or BFA then BA Hons becomes the first bachelor’s degree and BFA becomes the second bachelor’s degree.
If you get a second bachelor’s degree this might help you to earn the qualifications required for jobs as an intern, a new employee, or a working employee looking for a shift or change of job. (See What are the benefits of studying a foreign language?)
7. What is 1st Degree at a University?
The first degree of a university which is also known as the undergraduate or a simple degree is the academic degree that one earns when they complete the three to six-year college or university according to the course chosen.
The first degree is the bachelor’s degree which can fetch you jobs and internships related to the field you have chosen. This is studied right after you finish higher secondary education which can constitute many different disciplines of knowledge including science, commerce, engineering, fine arts, and technology among many others. The more the number of bachelor’s degrees, the better you have chances at seizing a job offer as this is what employers look for. Must read why is Quantitative Research important?
8. What is the Lowest Degree in University?
The associate degree is known to be the lowest degree among other degrees at the university level which generally takes two years to complete. This comes in different names according to the country for instance in India these two-year courses are known as Diploma degrees. These are generally occupational degrees that can help to be a choice for employment or a transfer degree which are programs aiming at facilitating transfer to a four-year bachelor’s degree. This is a very useful degree as this helps students to have a reasonable level of knowledge in their chosen discipline. (See What are the Benefits of Studying Business Administration?)
9. What are the 3 Main Types of Bachelor Degrees?
The three main types of bachelor’s degrees are as follows and in ascending order of importance and stance:
- Bachelor of Arts degree: This is one of the most important and main degrees pursued by many after their higher secondary education. The duration to complete the degree ranges from three to four years and is mainly followed by students in the humanities and social studies field as it offers a variety of choices such as in economics, languages, and communication.
- Bachelor of Science degree: The second one is a B.Sc which is more focused on the aspect of theoretical knowledge as well as a research practice.
- Bachelor of Business Administration: This is the undergraduate degree for the famous degree known as MBA or Master in business administration which offers subjects related to areas of business, accounting, economics, management, and so on.
10. What is a Person with a Bachelor Degree called?
A person with a bachelor’s degree is called a college graduate. No matter the graduation course, the students who complete the whole degree are addressed by the same name. In some parts of the world, there is a term specifically used for these students who are graduates. For instance, a person who completed their undergraduate in business would be called a graduate in business administration after they receive their degree. And for someone who has completed their degree in the respective field but hasn’t received the degree is called a graduand. (See Why was school created?)
11. What is the Difference between a First Degree and a Higher Degree?
The difference between a first degree and a higher degree are as follows:
- First degree: A first degree is a degree that one acquires at the end of undergraduate studies. This is the academic step after completion of higher secondary schooling. The first degree of a university which is also known as the undergraduate or a simple degree is the academic degree that one earns when one completes a three to six-year college.
- Higher degree: A degree that is not an undergraduate course but includes a doctorate and master’s degree are known as a higher degree. This is done after you are a graduate so this is known as a post-graduation course. The highest degree is known as a PhDs which is an acronym for doctor of philosophy which gives the person holding the degree the right to teach the profession.
This was an attempt to understand a bit about academic degrees including a first bachelor degree and answering a common question such as why is the first degree called a bachelor’s degree. Education is important and lets us take a moment and be grateful to be where we are in this sense. (See What are the benefits of studying Biology?)