As the temperature and humidity levels increase, the dew point rises. People often turn to air conditioning units to combat the effects of high humidity. But, did you know what state has the highest humidity? According to recent studies, this humidity averages around 77% in the states. This can make it difficult to breathe and uncomfortable to be outside. Read on to find out more about this and the US humidity map.
1. What is the most Humid State? Which State has the highest Relative Humidity?
According to the latest data, Alaska is the most humid state in the US. The annual mean humidity there is 77%. Hawaii is a close second, with an annual mean humidity of 73.3%. (See What Is Humidity?)
2. Which City is the most Humid in the US?
After knowing what state has the highest humidity, you would ask for the most humid city. It’s no surprise that the most humid city in the US is also one of the warmest cities. According to data, New Orleans ranks as the most humid city in America, with an average humidity level of 86%. While this may be uncomfortable for some, high humidity levels are beneficial for keeping the body cool and preventing dehydration. Also, check out where is it 70 Degrees year round in The United States?
3. 10 most Humid Cities in USA/America
The list of the top 10 humid cities in the USA, along with their relative humidity, is given below:
|City||Relative Humidity (%)|
|New Orleans, Louisiana||75.9|
|San Francisco, California||73.7|
|Rochester, New York||72.6|
Below is the picture of the US humidity map indicating the annual mean relative humidity:
4. Is Florida more Humid than Texas?
Yes, it’s much more humid in Florida. The humidity levels in Texas are often compared to those of Arizona because they’re both considered arid states. The humidity in Florida is caused by the warm, moist air from the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. This air mixes with the drier air over land, resulting in a higher humidity level. (See How do Mountains affect Dry Areas like Nevada?)
5. Is Houston Very Humid?
Yes, Houston is very humid. The Gulf Coast region has high humidity levels due to the warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico. In addition, Houston is located in a tropical climate zone, which means it experiences high temperatures and high humidity levels throughout the year. (See Why can’t We go to Antarctica?)
6. Is Tennessee Humid or Dry?
Tennessee is very humid. It can be hot and humid in the summer and cool in winter. Also, check out how many Tornadoes in Tennessee per year?
7. Name 5 Least Humid States in the US
Now you know what state has the highest humidity. Let’s look into the 5 least humid states in the US.
- Nevada (38.3%): The Silver State is the driest in the contiguous United States, with an arid climate.
- Arizona (39.0%): The Grand Canyon State has an arid climate and is one of the driest states in the country.
- New Mexico (42.0%): The Land of Enchantment is another dry state with a semi-arid climate.
- Utah (51.7%): The Beehive State has a semi-arid climate, making it the second-driest state in the United States.
- Colorado (54.1%): The Centennial State has a semi-arid climate, making it another driest state in the United States. Must read what states don’t get Snow?
8. 10 Most Humid Cities in the World
Below is the list of the top 10 most humid cities in the world:
- Hoi An, Vietnam
- Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- Singapore, Singapore
- Panama City, Panama
- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Montevideo, Uruguay
- Lusaka, Zambia
- N’Djamena, Chad
- Monrovia, Liberia
- Colombo, Sri Lanka. (See Hottest Desert in the World)
So, what state has the highest humidity? It turns out that Alaska is the most humid state in the country, with an average relative humidity of 77%. So, if you’re looking for a drier climate, you may consider moving to this place after checking the US humidity map. (Also read Top 10 Major Mountain Ranges of the World)