Mountain ranges are found on every continent in the world, and they come in all different shapes and sizes. Some mountain ranges are tall and imposing, while others are more gently sloping. Regardless of their size or shape, all-mountain ranges provide a variety of ecological niches and habitats that support an amazing diversity of life. In this blog post, we will take a closer look at some of the major mountain ranges of the world. We’ll explore their history, geography, ecology, and the unique creatures that call them home. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the oldest mountain range and longest mountain range.
1. What is a Mountain Range? What is a Mountain System?
A mountain range is a large grouping of mountains. They are often found near each other and typically have similar features, such as height, shape, and composition. Most mountain ranges have multiple peaks, and the highest point in a mountain range is typically its most famous peak. Check out what are physical features in Geography?
A mountain system is a group of mountains that are geographically connected. Mountain systems can be found on every continent and typically consist of several large mountains and smaller hills and plateaus. (See How do Mountains affect Dry Areas like Nevada?)
2. How are Mountain Ranges formed?
Mountain ranges are typically formed where two continental plates collide. The force of the impact creates folds in the earth’s crust, and over time, these folds form into mountains. For example, the Himalayas were created about 50 million years ago when the Indian plate collided with the Eurasian plate. Also, check out what is the difference between Oceanic Crust and Continental Crust?
3. What are some Mountain Range examples?
There are plenty of major mountain ranges of the world.
- In Australia, you have the Great Dividing Range. This stretches East to West across the continent and is home to some of the country’s highest peaks. (See What are the Names of Coldest Places on Earth?)
- In Africa, you have the Ethiopian Highlands. This plateau region contains some of Africa’s tallest mountains, including Mount Kilimanjaro.
- In South America, you have seen the Andes. This massive chain runs along the entire length of the continent and includes some of the world’s highest peaks, like Aconcagua and Chimborazo.
- And finally, in Asia, you have the Himalayas. These mountains are among the tallest in the world and include Everest, the highest peak on Earth. Also, check out 16 Snowing in the Mountains Facts.
4. List 10 Major Mountain Ranges of The World
|K2 (Mount Godwin Austen) Karakoram||Pakistan/China||28,250|
|Cho Oyu, Himalayas||Nepal/Tibet||26,906|
|Nanga Parbat, Himalayas||Pakistan||26,660|
5. Major Mountain ranges of the World Map
Here is a list of major mountain ranges on the world map:
- The Andes,
- The Rockies,
- The Great Dividing Range,
- The Transantarctic Mountains,
- The Ural Mountains,
- The Atlas Mountains,
- The Appalachian Mountains,
- The Himalayas,
- The Altai Mountains,
- The Western Ghats,
- The Alps,
- Drakensberg, and
- The Aravalli Range. (See How are Volcanoes Distributed on the Map?)
6. Which of these Mountain Ranges is the longest?
The longest mountain ranges include:
- The Andes – 7,000 km
- The Rockies – 4,830 km
- The Great Dividing Range – 3,500 km
- The Transantarctic Mountains – 3,500 km. (See What are the Seven wonders of the World?)
7. Which is the Oldest Mountain range in the World?
The oldest mountain range in the world is the Ural Mountains, which extend from north to south through central Russia. The Urals formed about 280 million years ago during the Permian Period. Check out why can’t we go to Antarctica?
8. Which is the Highest Mountain Range in the World?
The Himalayas are the world’s highest mountain range, stretching more than 2,900 kilometers (1,800 miles) across six countries: Nepal, India, Bhutan, China, Myanmar, and Pakistan. The Himalayas include Mount Everest, the world’s tallest peak. Must read why climbing Everest is dangerous?
9. Which Mountain separates Asia from Europe?
The Ural Mountains are a mountain range that stretches from the Arctic Ocean to the Caspian Sea and separates Asia from Europe. The Urals are home to many plants and animals, including brown bears, wolves, lynx, otters, and wolverines. Must read where is the Center of the Earth Located?
We hope you’ve enjoyed this tour of the major mountain ranges of the world along with the longest mountain range. Each one is unique and awe-inspiring in its way. What are your favorite mountains? (See What Country has the Longest Name?)