RAM stands for Random Access Memory. The data stored here is temporary because once you restart or shut down the PC, the data held will get erased. But it is essential if you want the smooth functioning of your PC. It becomes even more crucial if you are a gamer because it can enhance your gaming experience. So, in this article, we will be answering what does RAM do for gaming, is 8GB RAM good for gaming, and many other queries that you have in your curious mind. So, keep reading to know about it.
1. What does RAM do for Gaming?
The game that you have installed on your PC is entirely stored in the hard drive or solid-state drive. So, when you play the game, the data must be pulled from the hard drive, which is inefficient, so the PC stores the data that it requires in RAM. And because of this, your PC can load the game information quickly. This is what does RAM do for gaming. RAM is a volatile memory as it stores data temporarily. And if you have low RAM on your PC, it will not be able to store all the necessary information. So, as a result, you will not be able to get a smooth game experience. Read What is System Unit in Computer?
2. How Much RAM do I Need for Gaming?
The answer to this question is subjective and varies from player to player. But we have made broad categories that will help in deciding how much RAM do I need for gaming:
- If you play old games, then 4GB RAM is perfect.
- For virtual reality gaming, you will require at least 8GB RAM.
- If you are a moderate gamer, 16GB RAM will be enough.
- If you are an online media streamer, 32GB RAM will be an excellent choice.
3. Is 8GB RAM Good for Gaming?
Although 16GB is soon becoming the norm, 8GB of RAM is a solid starting point for most contemporary games. 8GB RAM is also considered the baseline for AAA titles. Additionally, it depends on how you use your computer; if all you are doing is playing games, you’ll need less RAM than if you’re also using it to stream videos or participate in Discord chats. Generally speaking, quantity over speed is more crucial when it comes to gaming. Also read Why Does Computer Hardware Fail?
4. What does more RAM do for Gaming?
To understand what does RAM do for gaming, take a look at the impacts of more RAM for gaming:
- You will be able to use other applications when you play the game. So, you cannot just be restricted to one thing and you will be able to do multiple things on a PC.
- Your game experience will get better as you will be able to avoid interruptions that were frequent when low RAM was there on your PC.
But if the game you play does not require much RAM, then this extra RAM space will be useless. Check out Why some people don’t like video games?