What are the things you need to survive? Air, water, and food are essential for human survival in this world. The survival of the human species will be in jeopardy if even one of these doesn’t exist. In this post, we will discover what you need to survive, what constitutes basic survival, what the most vital human needs are, and what are natural needs.
Table of Contents
1. What is Basic Survival?
Basic survival refers to the core abilities and resources needed to survive in an emergency or disaster situation. These abilities and resources may vary based on the unique circumstances of the disaster. But there are several basic survival concepts that are vital in practically any situation. Food, clothing, air, water, sleep space, touch, and shelter are all part of it.
2. What are Basic Human Needs?
Basic human needs are the essential physical and psychological necessities that every person requires in order to live a healthy and satisfying life. These requirements are critical for human survival, growth, and development. Here are the five categories of basic human needs:
- Physiological needs: These are the most basic human needs and include the need for food, water, air, shelter, and sleep. A person cannot survive if these needs are not met.
- Safety and security needs: These needs include physical safety, mental security, and safety from danger. People need to feel safe and secure in their surroundings in order to thrive.
- Love and belonging needs: These needs include the desire for social contact, love, affection, and a sense of belonging. People need to feel connected to others and have deep relationships in order to be fulfilled.
- Esteem needs: These needs include the need for self-respect, self-esteem, and other people’s respect. People need to feel good about themselves and believe that they are respected by others.
- Self-actualization needs: These needs pertain to the desire for personal development, self-actualization, and the realization of one’s full potential. To be fully fulfilled, people must believe that they are attaining their goals and reaching their full potential.
Before we move ahead to learn about what are the things you need to survive remember these basic human needs are interconnected and considered as top human needs. They must be addressed in a balanced manner for humans to enjoy a healthy and satisfying life. Otherwise, it can lead to physical and psychological difficulties such as disease, anxiety, and sadness.
3. What are the Things You Need to Survive?
You must have access to various important items in order to survive, including:
- Water: Having access to safe drinking water is critical for survival. To stay hydrated, it is advised that you consume at least 2–3 liters of water every day.
- Food: Food provides the nutrition and energy required by your body to function properly. A well-balanced diet including carbs, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals is essential.
- Shelter: It protects you from the weather while also keeping you safe and secure. A shelter can be a house, a tent, or any other type of structure that keeps you warm and dry.
- Clothing: It protects you from the elements and helps you manage your body temperature. Clothing should be suitable for the weather and environment.
- First-aid: Injury and illness can strike at any time, so keep a first-aid kit on hand. A first aid kit can assist you in treating minor injuries and diseases until medical assistance arrives.
- Tools and equipment: In survival scenarios, basic tools such as a knife, a saw, and a fire starter can be invaluable. Other tools, such as a compass, a map, and a torch, can be handy as well.
- Communication devices: In case of an emergency, communication devices are required. A mobile phone, a radio, or a satellite phone may be required to summon assistance or communicate with others.
I guess now you know what you should stock up for emergencies. In addition to these essential things, it is critical to have knowledge and abilities in survival procedures. This includes water purification, fire construction, and first aid. Being prepared and having a plan in place in the event of an emergency might also improve your chances of surviving. (Also read What Provides Immediate Energy?)
4. What is the Most Needed Thing to Survive?
After learning about what are the things you need to survive let’s find out what is the most important one. The key component for survival is oxygen. A person may not survive even a minute without oxygen. A lack of oxygen may result in a brain injury that can be life-threatening. As a result, oxygen is the most essential element for human survival. Do not forget to read about Which Tree Gives Oxygen?
5. What should be in a Survival Pack?
What are the things you need to survive that should be in your survival pack?. A survival pack is a collection of critical items that can assist you in surviving a disaster or evacuating rapidly. It is also known as a bug-out bag or go-bag. Here are some of the things that should be included in a bug-out bag or survival pack:
- Non-perishable food
- Clean drinking water
- Basic tools such as a knife, a saw, a fire starter, a multi-tool, and a flashlight
- Medications and first aid kit
- Sanitization and personal hygiene items.
- Emergency blankets
- Extra cash
- Cell phones with power banks or other communication devices
- Multipurpose and navigation tools
The contents of a survival kit may differ depending on the individual’s needs, the environment, and the situation. It is recommended that you examine the contents of the pack on a regular basis and update it as needed. Come discover Why is DNA Replication Critical to the Survival of Organisms?
6. What are 6 Emotional Needs?
Emotional needs are equally important as what are the things you need to survive. People have many distinct emotional requirements, but here are six of the most common ones:
- Autonomy: People also need autonomy, which includes having control over their own lives and making their own decisions.
- Competence: We must feel capable and effective in our actions and judgements, as well as having control over our skills and abilities.
- Connection: People have a natural desire to feel connected to others. The urge for social engagement, friendship, and intimacy is included.
- Enjoyment: People require opportunities for pleasure, fun, and satisfaction in their lives. This can include hobbies, interests, and activities that provide you joy and fulfillment.
- Meaning: People need to believe that their lives have value. And they are contributing to something bigger than themselves.
- Security: Everyone needs to feel safe in their surroundings and interactions with others. This comprises physical, emotional, and financial security.
7. What are Natural Needs?
Natural needs are the fundamental necessities for human life and well-being that are built into our biology and physiology. They are necessary for our physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing. Other than food, water, shelter, and air, they also include the following:
- Exercise: To keep our bodies healthy and fit, we must engage in physical exercise.
- Sleep: We must get adequate, peaceful sleep for our bodies to repair and replenish.
- Social Interaction: To fulfil our emotional needs for connection and belonging, we must engage with others.
- Mental stimulation: We need to engage in activities that challenge our thoughts and provide mental stimulation, such as learning, problem-solving, and creativity.
I hope you enjoyed learning about emotional and natural needs along with what are the things you need to survive. Having emergency supplies on hand can help you and your family be safe and comfortable through unforeseen events such as natural disasters, power outages, or health crises. (Also read about What Organelle Removes Waste?)