People who love fruits don’t care whether the fruits are seeded or seedless. However, most people do not know the varieties of fruits that have no seeds. Eating seedless fruits is comfortable and preferred by many people. They are easy to grow and provide numerous health benefits. Thus, seedless fruits are more valuable to commercial producers than seeded fruits. Read below to learn about fruits that have no seeds.
How Are Seedless Fruits Produced?
They are produced naturally as well as artificially.
- Seedless fruits belong to the category named, Parthenocarpy. It is a horticulture process that occurs naturally but is quite rare.
- Another process known as Stenospermocarpy is also responsible for the production of fruits without seeds.
All natural-occurring grapes have seeds. But scientists have developed both organic and inorganic methods to develop seedless grapes. They are grown through asexual reproduction, where GMO seeds are used to clone the parent plant. In this process, GMO seeds of fruits develop into a seedless variety. Seedless grapes can be green, black, or light green in color. (See What are Some Examples of Green Fruits?)
These fruits are not only tasty but are also rich in nutrients which are beneficial for our health. For instance,
- They help maintain blood pressure, cholesterol, & blood sugar levels.
- They also help to improve eye health, memory, mood, and attention.
- They even protect you from various infections arising from bacteria, yeasts, or viruses.
Pineapples are one of the fruits that have no seeds. The plant that produces pineapple is a tropical plant. It is ranked as the third most important tropical fruit in world production.
- Pineapples are used in various culinary dishes like desserts, pizza toppings, savory dishes, fruits salads, and roasted rings in hamburgers.
- They are even crushed for making jams, ice-creams, etc.
- The pineapple juice is used as a beverage and in cocktails too.
- Additionally, pineapple vinegar is widely produced and used.
Pineapple is a rich source of Manganese and Vitamin C.
- They contain antioxidants that reduce the risk of various chronic diseases.
- Also, they help aid digestion. People with pancreatic insufficiency can get health benefits from them.
- They suppress inflammation and acts as an immunity booster.
- Lastly, pineapples may also help in easing the symptoms of Arthritis.
Often classified as vegetables, tomatoes are botanically fruits. In fact, they are termed edible berries. Tomatoes have diverse varieties that are grown all over the world. They are eaten raw, cooked, or boiled depending upon the taste of the consumers. Although they belong to the category of fruits, tomatoes are mostly cooked with vegetable ingredients. They are used in vegetable salads, drinks, and savory dishes. They have very small edible seeds; hence they fall in the category of fruits that have no seeds. They are rich in water content and have a very small amount of carbohydrates. (Also read Is Tomato a Fruit or Vegetable?)
- The various health benefits of tomatoes include the reduced chances of blood clotting, prevention of inflammation, and reduced risk of heart-related problems.
- Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene which is helpful against sunburns.
- They are also beneficial for skin health as they contain vitamins and minerals, like Vitamin (C, K), folate (Vitamin B9), and potassium.
Another one on the list of fruits that have no seeds is Watermelon. The sweet juicy red, pink or white flesh of watermelon is usually covered in black seeds, but the seedless variety of the same also exists. We all enjoy watermelon in the summers as they are very refreshing. They are either cut in slices or cubes to be used in salads and their juice is blended with other fruit juices. They are beneficial to health as they are rich in vitamins, minerals, and other healthy plant compounds. (See What meanings and symbolism do fruits have?)
- Moreover, due to their high water content, they keep us hydrated.
- They are also a rich source of fiber and help in improving digestion.
- The calorie content in watermelon is very low, which is why they are also considered low-sugar fruit.
- Eating watermelon lessens the risk of cancer by lowering the levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF).
- It improves heart health by reducing cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- Additionally, they help in maintaining good eye health along with relieving muscle soreness.
These are cylindrical fruits that are used as vegetables. We mostly use them in salads, coleslaw or eat them raw. They are not cooked with other vegetables as ingredients. Cucumbers are also pickled and enjoyed with fast foods. Most cucumbers are thin-skinned fruits that have no seeds and mildly sweet and refreshing flavor. However, some of them may contain edible seeds.
- They are a good source of keeping hydrated as they have 96% of water content.
- They are also low in fat and calories, which is helpful in maintaining weight & blood sugar.
- Their other health benefits include the rich content of antioxidants like tannins and flavonoids which reduce the risk of chronic diseases and prevent the accumulation of free radicals.
- They even keep digestive system healthy with their high fiber content.
Bananas are long elongated edible fruits, botanically termed as berries. They are also termed as plantains in North America and Europe. They are the tastiest and easiest to eat among the fruits that have no seeds.
- They are consumed as chips or used in sauces when used unripe.
- When they ripen, they develop a sweet taste and can be used in desserts, salads, etc.
- They are eaten either deep-fried or baked in glutinous rice wrapped in banana leaf in savory dishes.
- They are also used as fruit preservatives.
- Moreover, dried banana is used as banana flour.
A banana has a good amount of fiber as well as other antioxidants. They also have Vitamin (B6C). Potassium, Copper, Manganese, Proteins, Fats, and Magnesium.
- Owing to their fiber content, they make the person feel full and also help in improving the digestive system.
- Also, they help in keeping the heart healthy along with reducing blood sugar levels.
- Eating bananas regularly may keep the kidneys healthy along with relieving muscle soreness.
- They even act as an active fuel for a workout. (See How can Creatine help my Workout?)
Oranges usually contain seeds, however, with the help of natural mutation, seedless oranges can also be produced. Hence, making them one of the fruits that have no seeds. The word Orange is based on the Sanskrit word of the orange tree called as nāraṅga, which was derived from a Dravidian root word narandam/Naranja, meaning bitter orange in Tamil and Malayalam. There are numerous varieties of oranges that are grown worldwide.
They are mainly composed of carbohydrates and water, along with fiber which helps in a healthy digestive system. Oranges are loaded with various vitamins, minerals, and nutrients like Vitamin C, Potassium, Thiamine, and Folate. They are also a good source of various plant compounds which have several health benefits, for example, phenolics comprise antioxidants qualities.
- Just like all citrus fruits, oranges also are rich in carotenoid antioxidants which not only give them their rich color but also, enhance your immune system.
- It is a source of citric acid as well as helps prevent kidney stones.
- Oranges also improve heart health and protect against anemia.
Additionally, tangerines look like oranges and are often confused with each other. However, tangerines are less round and smaller than common oranges. They are even less sour, sweeter, and stronger in taste, as compared to oranges. Since tangerines belong to the same category, they also possess the same nutritive value and health benefits as oranges. (See Why is Strawberry not a Berry?)
Lemon also is one of the fruits that have no seeds.
- Lemon juice is used to make marmalades, & cocktails that are enjoyed by all of us during the hot days of summer.
- Lemon zest is used to add flavor to desserts, puddings, and dishes.
- Lemon slices are used to decorate drinks.
- Though the juices, slices, and zest of limes are used for the same purposes, lemon-lime pickles are a popular and integral part of Indian cuisine.
They contain Vitamin C which provides about 20% of our daily needs. They also contain iron, potassium, folate, vitamins, etc., in small amounts. Limes and lemons help to improve immunity, promote healthy skin, increase iron absorption in the body, prevent kidney stones, and regulate heart health. The difference between the two is that limes have more sugar and acid content in comparison to lemons.
We hope that after reading about these fruits that have no seeds and the benefits of eating them, you will include them in your diet.