At a time when metals were the products of the age, a man decided to change the game. He was Hamilton Carhartt. The love for shopping is not bound by gender. If women are considered shopaholics, then there are men also who just cannot keep their hands off of the latest collection in the market. Coming back to Carhartt, do you know where is Carhartt made and, where is Carhartt headquarters? Here, in this article, let’s read about Carhartt along with questions like whether is Carhartt made in Vietnam, what percentage of Carhartt is made in the USA, and many more.
1. What is Carhartt?
It is an American Apparel company that makes heavy-duty working clothes. It is a family-owned company that produces jackets, coats, jeans, dungarees, overalls, vests, and shirts. They are known for their high-quality clothes because they make fire-resistant clothes and hunting apparel too. (See Why many people choose to wear branded clothes?
2. Who is Hamilton Carhartt?
He was the son of Wylie (Lefa) Carhartt and George Carhartt. He was born on 27 August 1855 in Wayne County, New York. His early education was at the public school system in Jackson, Michigan. Later he went to Episcopal College, Racine in Wisconsin for further studies.
Hamilton began his career in 1882 with wholesale trading with his first company, Welling & Carhartt in Grand Rapids Michigan. Later, in 1884, he moved to Detroit, where he established Hamilton Carhartt & Co., a wholesale furnishing business. After years in the furnishing business, he changed the line of operations and began manufacturing working clothes for men. Then, he changed the name of the company to Hamilton Carhartt Manufacturer, Inc. In the upcoming segments, you will see where is Carhartt made and about its headquarters.
3. When was Carhartt Made?
In 1889, an American-based businessman, Hamilton Carhartt, decided to step up and make such clothing that can be worn by manual labor. He started the company Carhartt & Company, with just 2 sewing machines with a 1/2 horsepower electric motor. The first batch was prepared in a small Detroit loft which was not very successful. Must read What is Meant by Lowes Code 50?
4. What is their Motto?
After initial failure, Hamilton Carhartt focused on market research and produced the next batch for the railroad worker, as per their preferences and needs. He framed the motto of his company, honest value for an honest dollar. This became the standard of their quality work wear.
5. Where is Carhartt Made?
As the years passed, the company flourished, and its mills expanded to other states. So, where is Carhartt made? In 1910, they had their mills in Georgia and Southern California. They were followed by the sewing facilities in Detroit, Dallas, Atlanta, and San Francisco. In 1925, they were working internationally, in Liverpool, Toronto, Vancouver, and Ontario (Walkersville). A facility in Paris and then a warehouse in New York were opened after this. (See Where are Subarus Made?)
6. Where is Carhartt Headquarters?
Their business soon started spreading its wings worldwide because of the quality and durability of their products. They carry on their business from their headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan. Besides wondering where is Carhartt made, if you are looking to get a piece for yourself, you can visit a store near you by entering the location here.
7. Is Carhartt Union Made?
The term union made is often associated with premium quality products and products made in the USA. Some people considered that these clothes were sewn on a Union Special. But the label does not signify any of these. A union-made product means it was made by a group of unionized workers. So, in the case of Carhartt, there are suppliers named union house. They provide apparel from a wide range of US manufacturers, including Carhartt. In short, if anyone asks- is Carhartt union made, you can say that Carhartt is Union assembled. Check out 20 Reasons Why Students should not Wear Uniforms.
8. Is Carhartt Made in USA?
Yes, various apparels of the company are made in the United States of America. There are manufacturing units in Kentucky and Tennessee and a total of 2,000 plus US-based employees work there. Also, most of their raw materials are sourced from local American companies but some of their products are manufactured in Mexico too. Moreover, you can identify their American manufactured products in their online store as they have the Made in USA logo.
9. Is Carhartt Made in Vietnam?
No, there are only two primary locations where the apparel is manufactured. Out of them, one is in the United States and the other is in Mexico. (See Is Carhartt Publicly Traded?)
10. What Products of Carhartt are Made in The USA?
Some of the famous Carhartt products made in Kentucky and Tennessee, USA are as follows:
- Dungaree pants
- Duck jackets
- Knit hats
- Work-Dry socks
The list of Carhartt products not manufactured in the United States of America, but in Mexico, is as follows:
Here is a detailed list of Carhartt Items made in the United States of America:
- Carhartt Men’s Quilted Flannel Lined Duck Active Jacket: It is a Union-made product in the United States that is manufactured from domestic and foreign materials. This jacket is warm and durable, which makes it a favorite among those working outdoors. You can get it in different color options.
- Loose Fit Firm Duck Double-Front Utility Work Pant: These utility dungaree pants are made from imported materials and paired perfectly with products from the United States. Carhartt is producing these pants since 1939. Over the years there has been a slight change to their design with changing trends and requirements.
- Relaxed Fit Midweight Short-Sleeve Flag Graphic T-Shirt: This is one of their patriotic collections of T-shirts with the graphics of the Flag of America on the chest. It has a relaxed fit and is made out of soft cotton, giving you the freedom to move freely. It is particularly made in the USA.
- Carhartt Men’s Acrylic Knit Hat A205 | Men’s Winter Beanie Hat: This one-size beanie is another made-in-USA Carhartt product. It gives you exceptional warmth because it is made from a 100% acrylic rib-knit blend. The beanie has a Carhartt label sewn in front.
- Midweight Merino Wool Blend Boot Sock: These wool socks are made to last and stand up to your daily hectic schedule. Their merino blends are natural temperature regulators and help to keep your feet dry, cool, and comfortable all day long. The material of the sock absorbs sweat and dries quickly. But details like toe, arch, and cushioning make long shifts bearable.
So, where is Carhartt made? Now you know that it is an American-based company that manufactures most of its products domestically. They may use some imported materials, but most of their raw materials are from the United States. (Also read What do Mexican People Wear?)