Jaguar is now owned by Tata Motors which is an Indian company, but it was started in Blackpool, England by William Lyons and William Walmsley as the Swallow Sidecar Company in 1922 and soon it was renamed as S.S. Cars Limited. The headquarters of Jaguar are in Coventry, England. Jaguar comes under the category of a luxury car. If you are inquisitive to know more about questions like where is jaguar made, who makes jaguar engines, and more then keep reading the article.
1. Where is Jaguar Made?
The headquarters of Jaguar is located in Coventry, United Kingdom. Though most of these cars are manufactured in the United Kingdom, the company also has many production centers in India and China. (See Who Owns Jaguar?)
2. Where are Jaguar Cars Made?
The answer to where are Jaguar cars made is in the United Kingdom. So, primarily most of the Jaguar cars are manufactured in the United Kingdom, but there are other countries as well where their production centers are located. Now let’s discuss the breakdown of the manufacturer’s facilities:
- The research and development of the company happen in Coventry, Whitley, Warwickshire, and Gaydon. The National Automotive Innovation Centre at the University of Warwick in Coventry is another place where some amount of research takes place.
- The primary assembly plant of Jaguar is in Birmingham, Castle Bromwich. The models such as the XF, the XE, the F-TYPE, and the XJ are produced here.
- Jaguar XF and the Jaguar XJ models are produced in India as well at Pune.
- An engine production plant is located in Changshu, China, and models like XE, and XF is produced here.
- Jaguars’ special vehicle operations development center is in Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Warwickshire. It opened in 2016 and it makes luxurious and powerful Jaguar models.
- In Wolverhampton, West Midlands, the Jaguar engine manufacturing plant is located.
3. Who Makes Jaguar Engines?
Now let’s discuss who makes Jaguar engines, after becoming aware of where is Jaguar made in general. When Land Rover came under Tata Motors, then Jaguar decreased its dependency on Ford engines. Moreover, its engine contract with Ford ended in 2020 officially. So, now Jaguar Land Rover makes its own Ingenium engines for its use in vehicles. Must read Where is Lexus Made?
4. How to Tell Where your Jaguar was Made?
To know where your Jaguar car was made is by check the first two or three letters of your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This will most likely be SAJ for Jaguar vehicles. World Manufacturer Identifier is another name for the first three digits of a VIN. This helps people to figure out the country of origin for their car.
To locate the Vehicle Identification Number, you can check the registration documents of your car. You can also find it on the metal plate in the inner driver’s door sill or the cowl panel. After finding out your VIN, see if it starts with SAJ, because if this is the case then that means that your car was assembled in the United Kingdom by Jaguar. Now you can easily figure out where your Jaguar car was made.
5. Why did Tata Buy Jaguar?
After discussing where is Jaguar made, now let’s discuss why Tata bought Jaguar. In the year 2008, Tata Motors was manufacturing one of the top-selling cars in the market. Whereas, Ford was facing difficulty to make profits on the sale. Thus, an offer was made by Ratan Tata to Ford to buy the Jaguar and Land Rover car series, which were then the bad-selling cars for Ford. See Where is Nissan Made?
6. Is Jaguar a British Brand?
Yes, Jaguar is a British brand because Jaguar vehicles were found in Great Britain. But now it is not owned by a British company instead Jaguar Land Rover Limited is now owned by Tata Motors which is an Indian automotive manufacturing company. Its headquarters are in Coventry, England. In the 1990s Ford Motor Company purchased Jaguar and later on Tata Motors purchased both Jaguar Cars and Land Rover in 2008 from Ford. (See Adidas Made in Which Country?)
7. Why did Jaguar Sell to Ford?
To make use of the growing new market for luxury vehicles in the 1990s Ford purchased the Jaguar brand. After some time, Ford Motor Company became aware of the fact that they lacked an alternative to the likes of Mercedes-Benz and BMW, thus afterward Ford sold Jaguar in 2008 to Tata Motors.