Hyundai began its journey in 1967 with a vision to provide the best for its country. With the realization of the value of cars for the roads, owner Chung Ju Yung got into the automobile manufacturing industry. With the launch of the Hyundai Pony, the company marked its first milestone in the history of the car industry. Everyone had this misconception that South Korea is solely the place where is Hyundai made. But this is not the case. South Korea is where is Hyundai from, but its assembly, production, and manufacturing are done across the globe.
1. Where is Hyundai from?
Let us begin with where is Hyundai from. It is an automobile manufacturing company based in Seoul, South Korea. Hyundai Motor Company (HMC) started as a car repair shop in 1947 by the founder Chung Ju Yung. Initially, it was a small business named Hyundai Engineering and Construction Company. Soon after that, it was recognized by the government to work in affiliation with steel mills to support the country during the war. The company then served its country with the aim of helping South Korea rebuild and industrialize after the Second World War. (Also Read Who Owns Hyundai?)
2. Where is Hyundai made?
Let us begin with where is Hyundai made. Hyundai Motor Company was founded in 1967 and began manufacturing cars at their Ulsan, South Korea assembly plant in 1968. It is one of the largest integrated automobile manufacturing facilities in the world with an annual production capacity of more than 1.6 million units. Cortina was the first model that hit the market, followed by Pony in 1975. Moreover, Hyundai later became the first mass-produced car in South Korea.
3. Are Hyundai Cars made only in South Korea?
No, its production and manufacturing take place across the globe. So, where is Hyundai made? Hyundai has the biggest car factory in the world in Ulsan which is a cluster of 5 manufacturing plants. Transportation and export of vehicles and engines take place from the docks at the site. Other factories dealing in the production, assembly, and manufacturing of Hyundai vehicles are as follows:
- Alabama (USA): Operating since 2005, it is the first assembly and manufacturing plant in the United States.
- Asan Plant (South Korea): The plant began its operation in 1996 and focuses on being eco-friendly.
- Assan Otomotiv (Turkey): Operating since 1997 and mainly producing Accent and Grace along with i10 and i20, the primarily produced models.
- Jeonju Plant (South Korea): It is the biggest production center for commercial vehicles in the world. The facility is equipped with a research and development (R&D) center, engine plant, dispatch center, materials plant, and providing ground allowing it to work independently.
- Nošovice Plant (Czech Republic): Operating since 2008, this plant is focused on vehicle production for the European market.
- Piracicaba (Brazil): It is the first Hyundai motor plant in South America mainly designed to handle the South American car market. Hyundai HB20 production originally began at the Brazil plant and was initially available only in Brazil. But now you can buy it in other South American countries too.
- Shunyi Plant (China): Another plant where is Hyundai made is based in north-east Beijing established in 2002 and comprises 3 factories out of which two manufacture vehicles and one handles engine production.
- St Petersburg (Russia): It is a full cycle production plant handling producing body panels, chassis, painting, and assembly of completed vehicles.
- Tamil Nadu Plant (India): Comprised of 2 factories, this plant is based in Chennai, India. And is currently the second-largest Hyundai manufacturing facility after the Ulsan plant.
Note: Russia also had a Hyundai manufacturing plant, but its operation was stopped after war sparks between Russia and Ukraine.
4. Who makes Hyundai Engines?
Hyundai is the parent company of KIA. Hyundai and Kia Motors make their own engines with some crossover between both companies. Some engines are used in cars from both brands like the Kappa G4LD and the Kappa G3LA/G3LC are used both in KIA and Hyundai models.
5. Where is Hyundai Tucson made?
Hundai Tucson is a compact crossover SUV produced and manufactured by Hyundai in 2004. However, if you were wondering where is Hyundai Tucson made, it is produced in different countries now, including:
- Ulsan in South Korea
- Nosovice in the Czech Republic
- Chennai in India
- Tiaret in Algeria
- Anápolis in Brazil
Now you know where is Hyundai Tucson made. (Also See Who makes Predator Engines?)
6. Which Hyundai Cars are made in the United States?
Hyundai entered the American car market in 1986 at a time when most automobile manufacturers had abandoned the entry-level market. In February 1986, Hyundai Excel launched in the American market. Within 7 months, 100,000 Excel cars were sold. Now, in the United States, the following Hyundai cars are produced.
- Santa Fe
- The Santa Cruz
The Company is planning to establish a new plant in Georgia and begin the production of electric vehicles by 2023.
7. Where is Hyundai Manufacturing Plant in India?
Hyundai Motor Company built its subsidiary Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL) in 1996. Hyundai manufacturing plant in India established by Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL) is based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, and comprises 2 factories. These are fully integrated state-of-the-art manufacturing plants with advanced production, testing abilities, and capabilities. So, Tamil Nadu is the state where is Hyundai made.
Export to 85 countries across Asia Pacific, Africa, Latin America, Australia, and the Middle East is handled by HMIL. Apart from the Hyundai manufacturing plant in India, to cater to the demand and to fulfill the commitment to providing cutting-edge global technology to customers, a multimillion-dollar research and development (R&D) facility in Hyderabad has been established. (See Where is Buick Made?)
8. Is Hyundai a Good Car?
Yes, you need not worry about whether is Hyundai a good car or not. Now you know where is Hyundai made so let us take a look at what makes it a good car. Basically, Hyundai cars are known for their easy-to-handle vehicles with simple controls, impressive fit, safety measures, and finish. Also, their helpful features make the vehicle’s driver-friendly interface. With each new model launched in the market, Hyundai Motor Company aims at achieving safer and more reliable cars.
Key to the quality of Hyundai cars is safety, affordability, and reliability. Also, according to surveys and studies, here are the achievements under the name of Hyundai.
- WhatCar Reliability Survey in 2019, Hyundai scored 95.7% and ranked once again as a top reliable global automaker.
- Hyundai Motor Group ranked as Highest in Initial Quality and requires the least amount of repair, according to consumer surveys conducted by J. D Power Initial Quality Study.
- As per the list of IIHS Top Safety Picks, out of 13 models sleeted for the test, 12 models were marked with the highest Top Safety Pick Plus rating.
- KBB or Kelley Blue Book has rated Hyundai as the lowest-to-own car brand. Repair costs, purchase price, overall ownership costs along with MPG were the factors considered for the award. This award recognizes Hyundai vehicles to be cost-efficient, fuel-efficient, and dependable.
9. How to Tell Where your Hyundai was Made?
To accurately identify where your Hyundai was made, check the first 2 or 3 letters of your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). These first 3 digits of a VIN number are known as a World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) which allows you to trace back the country of origin of your car.
The VIN number of your Hyundai is mentioned in the following places:
- On the title or registration documents of your car
- On the front wall of the engine room
- On the metal plate of the inner driver door pillar
- On the cowl panel
Here is the table of WIM numbers and the country of origin it represents.
|Country of Origin||WIM Number|
|Brazil||9BH and 95P|
|Czech Republic||TMA and TMC|
|Malaysia||PL8 and PP3|
|Mexico||3H3 and 3KP|
|Russia||XWE and Z94|
|South Korea||KMF, KMH, KMJ, KM8, and KND|
|Turkey||NLH and NLJ|
|United States||5NP, 5NM, 5NT, and 5XY|
Well, where is Hyundai made? The answer to this is that it is made across the globe with its top manufacturing plant at Ulsan and 2nd in India. Both plants handle exports to major parts of the world. Is Hyundai a good car? Based on global-wise surveys, Hyundai is a reliable car. As a Hyundai car owner personally, I love the car. By the way, which Hyundai car do you have, and what are your reviews for the same? (Also read How much does it Cost to Replace a Tesla Battery?)