In this vast developing world, the human race has developed a wide range of segments to improve lifestyle, communication grid systems, and much more. Media is one such communication grid system that brings different people of this world in one place by giving us the news of different regions through televisions providing all sorts of information. In simpler terms, these can be understood by the main media forms. But there are certain ground rules in the way media works, which are termed media conventions. So, what are those? Read the following article to learn more about the conventions of media and other facts related to it.
1. What are 6 Main Media Forms?
Media acts like a spectrum of information from a wide world view to an individual. This information reaches each and every person which brings the people to one place. In this modern world whenever you think about the forms of media, the first thing that hovers in your mind is the newspapers, books, magazines, televisions, and radios, and most importantly how can you forget about the internet? Here is a list of 6 main media forms:
- Traditional Media: This is a tool that has the way of communication through their local languages and cultures at its bottom line. It is a tool of communication that has been developed from the beliefs, customers, and several practices of our society. This type of media involves Folk dances, theatre drama, etc.
- Broadcasting Media: Broadcasting Media, also known as Electronic Media refers to the distribution of video and audio news and information to the audience through a broadcasting medium. These refer to Television, Radio, Traditional Telephone, Movies, Video games, Audio Recordings, etc.
- OOH: It is also known as Outdoor media or Out-Of-Media (OOH). This is nothing but primarily focuses on displaying advertisements when the public is outside their home. It refers to Billboards, Banners, Mobile Billboards, posters, wallscape, etc.
- Transit Media: This type of Media solely concentrates on delivering advertisements to the public who are on the go in public places or in transit. A few examples are Bus advertisements, taxi advertisements, and railway advertisements.
- Digital Media: This involves the different segments of the internet, websites, emails, social media, social networking sites, webcasts, podcasts, Blogging, vlogging, IPTV, E-books, Computer Animations, Digital Video Games, etc.
- Print Media: In simpler terms, Print Media refers to information and news in a printed format. Print Media includes Magazines, Newspapers, books, etc. Newspapers are considered the oldest Print Media.
2. What are Media Conventions?
The media has a wide spectrum of information and the media conventions act like the building blocks of all the media around us. Media conventions depict the meaning of Media or their connotation to their audience. There are mainly three types of media codes namely, Symbolic Codes, Technical Codes, and written codes. Conventions are the ways through which the codes are presented.
3. What are the Three Types of Media Conventions?
There are three different types of conventions. These are listed in the following:
- Form Conventions: These conventions are the ones where the audience expects the rules of media to be arranged. For example, in a movie, the title of the movie is shown at the beginning and the credits are shown at the end.
- Story Conventions: These refer to the Narrative Structures and various other techniques of portraying media products.
- Genre Conventions: These conventions solely refer to the use of characters, settings or themes, and background of a specific media product.
4. What is the Importance of Media Conventions?
Media Conventions are very important as they are used to promote, reflect or subvert value systems. The importance of media conventions lies in the combination of codes and conventions and the ways they are used and controlled. Proper use of codes and combinations would lead to a hybrid genre and it may result in emerging textual forms. This in a way boosts the media product. Must read What are Features of Blog?
5. What are the 5 Conventions?
The five types of conventions of media conventions are:
- Flashback: This is presented in a film where it describes something relatable that had happened in the past.
- Action Scene: This is where the audience is attracted to viewing the action scenes of the film
- Chase Scene: This is quite similar to an action scene, where it creates more suspense.
- Animation: These are drawings or illustrations, photographed frame by frame.
- Compilation of Photographs: This helps in depicting the theme of a film to the audience.
6. What are the 4 Components of Conventions?
The 4 components of conventions and codes in media generally involve:
7. What does Conventions Mean in Film?
Conventions in films refer to the usually occurring elements in a specific genre of film. The conventions in the film particularly refer to the characters, themes, plot lines, narrative techniques, and technical aspects such as camera work, editing, lighting, audio, photography, metaphors, and much more. (See What are Man vs Society Disney Movies Conflict Examples?)
8. What are Examples of Conventions in Film?
Here is a list of examples of conventions in films:
- Compilation of Photographs: This is a technique that is used to portray the theme of the film by using photographs. Examples are Skyfall and Memento.
- Animation: Examples of animated movies are Enchanted, and Mary Poppins.
- Chase Scene: This can be seen in Baby Driver, Bullitt.
- Action Scene: This convention can be seen in Doctor Strange 6, and The Expendables 2.
9. What are 5 Conventions of a Movie?
The 5 conventions of a movie include lighting, monologue, dialogue, set, costuming, and entrance or exits. The conventions also include split focus, flashbacks, narrations, soliloquies, themes, thoughts, etc. (See How to Use Movie Title in a Paper?)
10. What are Media Techniques?
Media techniques refer to mixed media art techniques which are a combination of different methods to make artwork in a different medium. These refer to a medium that can be used for all purposes. Generally, media techniques refer to mediums such as oil paints, pastels, watercolors, or various other things that are used to make art.
We may conclude with the fact that media conventions are a type of ground rule which helps in making the media sound to the audience in a great way. The very conventions include the structure and techniques of making media. It usually refers to films or any media product that would need to have conventions such as plots, sets, costumes, themes, narrations, etc. The examples of media conventions are most prominent in the conventions of a movie. (Also read What does Deleting Social Media do for You?)