Is Rhode Island smallest state in USA? Big things get a lot of attention, such as the world’s biggest, tallest, or longest. But have you ever considered, which would be the world’s shortest, tiniest, and smallest? The list of the smallest states in the USA includes Rhode Island, Delaware, Connecticut, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Hawaii, and Maryland.
1. Interesting Facts about United States of America
America is united together with 50 states and thus, home to a diverse population. It is number one in the global exporter of entertainment. Some facts about USA are listed below:
- It is the only country that has all five climate zones. It is dry, polar, temperate, tropical, and continental.
- It is the third most visited country in international tourism. It is home to more than 40 million immigrants which is more than any country.
- It tops the ranking in inventions like computers, Airplanes, potato chips, radiocarbon dating, hearing aids, and recreation rides like Ferris wheels.
- The present USA flag was designed by Robert Heff whose age was only 17 years old at the time. (See Know more about American flag)
- There is a city named Boring which is situated in Oregon.
- Alabama is the smallest town outside Birmingham and was founded in 1976. The smallest city is Monowi. Read below to know why is Rhode Island smallest state?
2. Why is Rhode Island Smallest State in USA?
So, why is Rhode Island smallest state? It has an area of 1,214 square miles. Rhode Island is considered as smallest state in the USA because of its land area and is often referred to as Little Rhody. The state is the seventh in terms of population with 1.1 million people. The state is also known as the southern gateway of New England. Amusing, isn’t it!
- The Island is one of the last of the thirteen islands to become a state.
- It is also nicknamed Ocean State & Plantation State. The other nicknames of the state include Little Rhody, Little Rhode, and L’il Rhody.
- The state was named after Roodyt Eylandt meaning red island, which was due to its red clay on the shore.
- It is not an island, it’s just a state surrounded by a small marine boundary.
- The Sailing capital of the world lies here.
This answers why is Rhode Island smallest state in the USA. (See How the States got their Shapes)
3. Area of Rhode Island
- Rhode Island smallest state in the USA has an area of about 1,214 square miles. The water makes up 33.1% of Rhode Island, corresponding to a total of 511 square miles.
- Rhode Island has a dimension of 48 by 37 miles viz the distance from North to South is 48 miles and the distance between East to West is 37 miles.
- When referring to the population density of Rhodes Island, it corresponds to 1006 people per square mile.
4. Elevation of Rhode Island
- Rhode Island has its 47 square miles of land lying within 4.9 vertical feet of sea level along with 24 square miles that is between 4.9 and 11.5 feet.
- The highest point in Rhode Island is Jerimoth Hill whose height is 811 feet above sea level.
- The landscape is flat and has no real mountains.
- The Island is surrounded by three bodies of water which are: Block Island South, Rhode Island Sound and Atlantic Ocean.
According to scientists, Rhode Island has been sinking 4 inches every 100 years. (See 4 Interesting Black Friday History Myths and Facts)
5. The Specialty of Rhode Island
Rhode Island is one of the most important states as it has jurisdictional ties to sea and trade.
- The Island houses various Industrial Businesses such as rubber, textile, machinery, and tourism. The major industries are cyber, data analytics, maritime products, building defense ships, and many more.
- Interestingly the state motto is Hope.
- Food-wise, this state is known for its clam cakes. These are fried dough fritters that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside stuffed with shellfish. (See Who Invented The English Alphabet?)
6. Other Miscellaneous Facts
The Island was founded by Roger William when he was expelled from Massachusetts due to his religious beliefs. He started this state to create a place for practicing religion freely, and surprisingly, this state was the first to abolish slavery. The Island was named as one of the ten nicest places in America according to Reader’s Digest.
- The island was the first state to declare its independence from the British.
- Newport even after being a part of the smallest state, has a coastline of 400 miles
- It has a total of 21 lighthouses because it is a coastal state.
- Key cities of Rhode Island are Providence, Newport, Warwick, Pawtucket, Narraganset.
- Central falls is the smallest and a highly populated city in this smallest state.
- Alcohol is not sold in supermarkets on this island.
- The Mohegan Bluffs located on Block Island has one of the most beautiful views of the Atlantic Ocean in New England.
- The movie which made chills for the people around the world, The Conjuring, was based on a house situated in Rhode Island. (See 7 Interesting Mark Wahlberg Life Facts)