On a daily basis and for the purpose of survival, we are dependent on the spheres. But we hardly think about it. There is an interdependency between humans, the four spheres of earth, and in between the four spheres of earth themselves. The four spheres of the earth are Hydrosphere, Biosphere, Atmosphere, and Lithosphere. Even with all the interdependency we hardly think about the spheres. Let’s find out how do the hydrosphere and biosphere interact with each other, and how do humans interact with the four spheres.
1. How do Humans Interact with the Four Spheres?
All the basic necessities of a human’s life are provided by the spheres.
- The lithosphere is the land part of the earth and provides land for man to live on.
- The hydrosphere is the water sphere, as we all know water is one of the most essential elements.
- The biosphere is the sphere that man himself and all the other living things such as other animals are a part of.
- Lastly, the atmosphere provides humans with air to breathe.
However, human beings are failing to return the favor. By throwing and piling the garbage, a threat has been brought to the lithosphere. By polluting the water resources and directing all industrial wastes to the oceans, the hydrosphere is being damaged. The biosphere is damaged by overfishing, killing animals for their selfish needs, and cutting down forests that are home to many kinds of flora and fauna. The atmosphere is polluted by smoke from industries, vehicles, and the cutting down of trees. However, the threat to this sphere is a threat to the man himself. This is the way how do humans interact with the four spheres.
2. Why are the Spheres of the Earth Important for Living Beings?Photo by Elena Mozhvilo on Unsplash
Through the spheres, mother earth has given living beings everything they need for survival from land to air to water. They are also responsible for creating and maintaining the climate and weather suitable for human beings. It is also responsible for geological processes and life.
3. What is the Interaction between the 4 Spheres?
Just like how human is dependent on spheres, each of the spheres is also interdependent on the other. The animals of the biosphere consume the air and water from the atmosphere and hydrosphere. The birds of the biosphere fly through the atmosphere. The lithosphere is the sphere in which the biosphere is present. An impact in one of the spheres of the earth results in dysfunction in all the spheres.
Another popular example is the rain, part of the hydrosphere, that falls on the land or lithosphere, and gets converted into streams suitable for the usage of human beings and animals, the biosphere. (See Why is Biosphere Important for Living Organisms?)
4. What is the Importance of Studying the Interaction among the Four Subsystems?
Still, looking for the answer to how do the hydrosphere and biosphere interact with each other, before that, let’s look at the importance of studying the interaction among the four subsystems. The interference among the four subsystems is important because each sphere is dependent on another sphere and above all human is dependent on all the spheres. So, the effects and impacts done by humans on the spheres impact humans again. It is a cycle. Hence, it is important.
5. How do the Hydrosphere and Biosphere Interact with Each Other?
The hydrosphere is where the water from the ocean and seas condenses and forms clouds, resulting in rain. The water further flows as streams, fills the rivers, and recharges the groundwater. These are the final sources of water for human beings. Check out What is the Interaction between Geosphere and Biosphere?
6. How do Members of the Biosphere affect the Hydrosphere?
After finding out the answer to how do the hydrosphere and biosphere interact with each other, let us now know more about how members of the biosphere affect the hydrosphere. The members of the biosphere have affected all the spheres of the earth. The overfishing of fish in the sea, the oil spilling during the oil transportation in the sea routes, and the flow of waste from industries into the oceans are its major effects.
7. Why does the Hydrosphere need the Biosphere?
The hydrosphere and biosphere are a part of a water cycle. The hydrosphere needs a biosphere to consume its products. This is another way to answer how do the hydrosphere and biosphere interact with each other. Must see What is the Water Cycle in Order?
8. How does Hydrosphere Support Life on Earth?
The hydrosphere is the part of the earth that provides water and the most essential element for living organisms is water. So, only with the presence of a hydrosphere on earth, the living organisms can survive.
9. What are Some Ways in Which Humans are Changing Earth’s Systems?
Due to overpopulation, deforestation, mining, pollution, and the killing of other living organisms have led to changes in climate, the melting of glaciers, extreme heat, and poor quality of air and water. On the whole, this has taken a toll on the natural wealth of the earth. Must read What is Sustainability and Why is it Important?
10. What Activities of Humans Have Positive Effects on Biosphere?Photo by Noah Buscher on Unsplash
- Reducing the usage of appliances creates a negative impact such as air conditioners.
- Creating green co-living and co-working spaces.
- Planting more trees and conserving the forests and the flora and fauna living in them.
However, proper waste management by using the 4 R’s can bring some positive effects on the biosphere which are Reuse, Recycle, Reduce, and Recover. (Also read How can Individuals Contribute to bringing Change in Society?)