The biosphere is an important domain that supports life on earth. It is the feature that makes our Earth different from all the planets in the universe. It is the biosphere of the earth that makes life possible. All the important components that are required for the survival of species are present in the biosphere. But why is biosphere important for living organisms? What are those elements that support life and can life exist without a biosphere? These are some of the interesting questions that we are going to answer here.
1. Where would you find the Biosphere?
The biosphere can be found in the region that supports life. All the surfaces on the Earth, including land, water, and air support life, and thus, have a biosphere. All ecosystems have a biosphere. It starts from the deepest and darkest points in the ocean and extends to the sky, where the birds fly. The biosphere exists in mountaintops, lush rainforests, grasslands, deserts, and transition zones, a place where two ecosystems, like terrestrial and water, meet.
The biosphere consists of the lithosphere, hydrosphere, and atmosphere. The biosphere measures about 20 kilometers, from top to bottom and it includes almost all life forms. The biosphere starts from 500 meters below the ocean’s surface and extends up to about six kilometers above sea level. So, why is biosphere important for living organisms? Read till the end to know the answer. (See What would Happen in an Ecosystem without Herbivores?)
2. Why is the Biosphere the Most Important Domain of the Earth?
Do you know why is the biosphere the most important domain of the earth? The biosphere is that domain of the Earth that has all the characteristics needed for survival. It is a self-sustaining system that has all the elements required to survive. The biosphere contains all three major domains, land, water, and air. These three components support all forms of life on Earth.
The biosphere is a narrow zone where all three major domains of the earth exist and create an ecosystem. Air, water, and land are the basic components needed to survive and the biosphere is that domain where these all can be found together in one place. Without air, one will not be able to breathe, water is another basic necessity needed for survival, and land is the domain where most organisms live and work. The biosphere is the domain that protects all the life forms on earth. This is the reason why is the biosphere the most important domain of the earth. (Also read Where the Earth Receives Energy from?)
3. Why is Biosphere Important for Living Organisms?
Ever wondered why is biosphere important for living organisms? This is what we will answer here. The biosphere is important for living organisms because it contains components that are essential for the survival of all living entities. The biosphere is the place where all major domains of the earth interact. These domains are air, water, and soil. Without these, survival would not be possible on Earth. The biosphere is the domain that provides the necessary environmental conditions for the survival of all species. A suitable living environment can only be found where there is a biosphere.
Moreover, the Biosphere creates an ecosystem that provides the necessary conditions for survival. All different ecosystems are able to support life because they have biosphere. Because of the environment that the biosphere provides, all the living organisms of that ecosystem are able to fetch food within that ecosystem. These are the reasons why is biosphere important for living organisms. (See Which is not a Physical Factor in Ecosystem?)
4. How does the Biosphere support Life on Earth?
The biosphere has several domains which are a part of it. These domains are known as spheres. The different spheres have different elements that are necessary for the survival of species on earth. These domains or spheres together support life. Without even a single one, life would not be possible on earth. The three important spheres are the lithosphere, hydrosphere, and atmosphere.
- The lithosphere is the part of the biosphere which contains the solid upper layer of soil on the Earth. It is the land portion of the earth where the majority of species live, including humans. All the plants and vegetation grow in the soil.
- The hydrosphere is the part of the biosphere which contains water. The water that is present in all states, liquid, vapor, and ice, is included in the hydrosphere. It is another important sphere in the biosphere.
- The atmosphere is the most essential domain of the biosphere. It is made up of gases that are important for the survival of all species. Gases like oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide are present in the atmosphere which makes life easy and possible for all living species. These three major domains interact with each other and provide necessary conditions for the survival of all species.
Hence, a biosphere exists in all ecosystems, no matter how small it is. Must read What is the Thickest Layer of the Earth?
5. What will Happen if Biosphere does not Exist?
You already know why is biosphere important for living organisms, additionally note that if the biosphere does not exist on earth, then the earth will become a lifeless planet like other planets present in the universe.
- The biosphere of the earth is what makes it unique and it is the reason behind the existence of life on earth. The biosphere is important because it creates an interactive environment for all the species in the ecosystem. It creates a habitat that is important for the survival of all species.
- The biosphere contains all the elements that are important for living. It creates a balance among the other three domains or spheres. These spheres are the lithosphere, hydrosphere, and atmosphere.
- The lithosphere is the part of the earth that is made up of land. It contains the upper layer of the earth and is mostly composed of soil. It is where most of the living organisms on the earth stay.
- The hydrosphere is part of the biosphere that contains water. This domain contains water in every state i.e., liquid, vapor, and ice. Water is one of the most important elements that is needed for survival.
- The atmosphere is also one of the most important domains of the biosphere. All the important gases that are needed for survival are present in the atmosphere.
All these three domains together form the biosphere and make life possible on earth. (See What is the Interaction between Geosphere and Biosphere?)
6. Can Life exist without a Biosphere?
Since you are aware of why is biosphere important for living organisms, ever wondered, if can life exist without a biosphere? The answer to this question is no. Without a biosphere, life cannot exist. The biosphere contains all the essential elements that support life. The biosphere is made up of three important spheres or domains that complete it. Wherever these three domains interact, an ecosystem is created.
An ecosystem has many living and non-living organisms that are a part of it. All the important elements that are needed for survival in the ecosystem are present only in the biosphere. The presence of the biosphere on earth is the reason why the earth is a unique planet with life. All other planets are lifeless.
7. How does the Biosphere impact Humans?
Humans are completely dependent on the biosphere for their survival on earth. The air, water, and land, which are the basic necessities for any human being are found only in the biosphere. The biosphere not only provides the environment and ecosystem for survival but also the food needed for energy. Humans get their food either directly or indirectly from the ecosystem. The other things and conditions needed to survive are also found in biospheres, such as climate and temperature. Hence, the biosphere is of utmost importance to humans. (See What are Few Examples of Producers Consumers and Decomposers?)
8. How will any Change in Biosphere affect all Living Beings?
As you already read how and why is biosphere important for living organisms, further, note that any changes in the biosphere will have a huge impact on all living beings. It will completely alter the life cycle of all plants and animals. For example, if the temperature rises, many plants will start dying. Not just plants but animals and humans too. Birds will migrate far earlier than usual, there can be a shortage of food and water too.
Any imbalance in the ecosystem will lead to disruptions. If anything, unusual and irregular happens in the biosphere, these components will get affected which will in turn disturb normal functioning. It will lead to problems for all living organisms. (See What are the 5 Features of the Earth?)
9. What is Biosphere in Biology?
Do you know what is biosphere in biology? This is an interesting question to answer. The biosphere in biology is the parts of the earth that make life possible. The biosphere contains elements that are necessary for the survival of all species on the earth. All the life-supporting elements are present in this domain, including the three important domains or spheres that the biosphere is made up of. These three major domains are lithosphere, hydrosphere, and atmosphere. These three together interact with each other and make life possible for every living organism on earth. Without the biosphere, life wouldn’t be possible at all. Some examples of the biosphere are:
- Tropical rainforests.
- Deciduous forest
10. What is One Interesting Thing about Biosphere?
The biosphere that we live in is present only on the earth in the entire universe. It is the biosphere that makes our Earth full of life, unlike other planets. All the favorable conditions for survival are present here. The biosphere is present in every ecosystem and supports life for all. These three domains harmoniously interact with each other and provide an environment that is necessary for the survival of all species. It is such a vast environment that supports every organism on the earth. Earth is a livable place just because of the biosphere present here.
Now you know why is biosphere important for living organisms. It is the sole reason why everyone on the earth is able to survive. Without the biosphere, we will not be able to survive. Can life exist without a biosphere? This question is also successfully answered here. How amazing it is to know that some of the basic things are so important that without them life wouldn’t be possible. Check out what are the 6 layers of the Earth?