Cars increased in popularity as they were more widely available and reasonably priced. There are now more cars than before, and the wealthy wanted theirs to stand out as a symbol of their status. Audi is one of the world’s best-selling luxury automotive manufacturers. It is known for its sleek designs, top-notch durable build, and unmatchable sporty cars. But do you know where is Audi made? Every automotive company has a story behind its name so what is this brief history of Audi? It might be as basic as the name of the family who created it (Audi, for example), or it can be an acronym for a phrase that no one seems to remember. The tale of Audi, on the other hand, is a little more intriguing so let’s begin.
1. All about Audi Company
Before jumping on to where is Audi made, let us first dig deeper into the history of Audi company. Audi AG can trace its roots all the way back to the nineteenth century. Learn more about the remarkable people who have contributed to the company’s success over the past century.
- First established in 1899: In 1899, August Horch established the vehicle manufacturing firm August Horch & Cie in Cologne. Soon after that, in 1910, he founded Audiwerke AG, Zwickau, a car manufacturing plant. From this moment on, the current brand’s moniker emerged.
- Four Rings, Four Brands 1932: Audi, DKW, Horch, and Wanderer, four automakers situated in the German state of Saxony, merged to form Auto Union AG, represented by four interlocking rings. A brief history of the company that would become AUDI AG is shown here.
- End and recommencement 1945: Auto Union AG’s facilities were in the zone captured by Soviet forces in 1945, therefore after the war ended, the Soviets took possession of the company’s assets, demolished the plant, and had the business removed from the Commercial Register of the city of Chemnitz in 1948. Auto Union GmbH was established in Ingolstadt in 1949/50.
- Advancement via Technology 1971: A new advertising tagline, Vorsprung Durch Technik meaning Advancement via Technology was introduced in 1971, with a focus on the NSU Ro 80, an automobile that was decades ahead of its time. But which was the first Audi car?
2. Which was the First Audi Car?
The Audi Automobilwerke GmbH was founded in 1910, and the Audi Type A 10/22hp Sport-Phaeton was the first Audi car to hit the market that year. (See Where is Kia Made?)
3. A Brief History of Audi
Now let us take a look at Audi’s history that will blow our minds before we get down to where is Audi made. It was in 1899 that August Horch founded A. Horch & Cie in Cologne, his first automobile company which later also became August Horch & Cie. In 1909, he set up another company in Zwickau, dealing with the production of automobiles. This marked the beginning of Audi.
Since the new company was not given its founder’s name, it was named by translating Horch, hark or listen in German. Therefore, this second company started trading as Audi Automobileweke GmbH. The four rings on Audi cars signify the merging of four distinct German-based manufacturers Audi, DKW, Horch, and Wanderer.
You may have noticed that all of these company names seem quite similar and since Horch was sued for trademark infringement, they were thus forced to come up with a new name for the business. So, how did he end up in Audi? Well, Horch in Latin is Audi, which means to listen. As a result, Audi was born and thus Audi Automobilwerke GmbH Zwickau was founded in April 1910.
Audiwerke AG Zwickau was founded in 1915. Zwickau, in the state of Saxony, was, of course, where the enterprise was located. So, that was a brief history of Audi. But where is Audi headquarters? Let’s find it out.
4. Where is Audi Headquarters?
It is easy for people to remember the details about their favorite cars but only a few know about the headquarters and production places. Are you aware of where is Audi made and where is Audi headquarters? If not, then here are the answers.
More than seven decades have passed at the Ingolstadt, Germany facility where Audi has produced automobiles. Here, at AUDI AG’s corporate headquarters, people are hard at work to accomplish Vorsprung Durch Technik. Audi Q2, Audi A3, Audi A4, and Audi A5 models, as well as their derivatives, are entirely manufactured in Ingolstadt, from design to finished vehicle.
Audi’s Ingolstadt facility is still evolving into a fully digital, fully networked manufacturing. Modern manufacturing is very efficient and environmentally friendly because of its advanced production methods and cutting-edge technologies. The plant is gradually preparing for electric mobility, with initiatives to boost adaptability setting the groundwork for the next generation of cars. (See Where are Subarus Made?)
5. Where is Audi Q5 Made?
Now that you know where is Audi made, let us move on to where is Audi Q5 made. Mexico’s San José Chiapa is home to Audi’s Q5 assembly line. Approximately 60 kilometers from Puebla, Mexico’s capital, this 460-hectare factory first opened to the public in 2016. Moreover, around 150,000 Audi Q5s are manufactured each year at this state-of-the-art facility, making it Audi’s busiest manufacturing facility.
6. Where is Audi A3 Made?
Now let us get down to where are Audi A3 made by Audi company. It is interesting to know that with manufacturing plants all around the world, Audio does not depend on a single country for production. Accordingly, while the headquarters is at Ingolstadt, Germany, the A3 is assembled at Gyor, Hungary. (See Where is Porsche Made?)