A urinary bladder is a triangular-shaped hollow organ that stores urine from the kidneys before urination. The walls of the bladder expand to store the urine and contract to empty the bladder. The urinary bladder is located in the abdomen. Do you know what quadrant is the urinary bladder in? If not, let’s find out. Let’s also see what are the 9 quadrants of abdomen and what organs are in the right lower quadrant. You will be excited to know what quadrants are the kidneys in. In this article, we shall throw light on all these questions and give valuable insights and facts about the human body.
1. What are the 9 Quadrants of the Abdomen?
Is our abdomen divided into quadrants? How many quadrants are there? What are the quadrants of abdomen?
Well, our abdomen contains multiple organs and hence is divided into smaller areas, often known as planes or quadrants. There are different ways to divide the abdomen. One way is the 9-region theme. Under this, the abdomen is divided into 9 regions, namely
- Right hypochondriac region
- Left hypochondriac region
- Epigastric region
- Umbilical region
- Right lumbar region
- Left lumbar region
- Hypogastric region
- Right inguinal region
- Left inguinal region
Another way of dividing is the 4-region theme. This method divided the abdomen into 4 quadrants, with one vertical and one horizontal line. The quadrants are
- Right upper quadrant
- Left upper quadrant
- Right lower quadrant
- Left lower quadrant
2. Is the Urinary Bladder in the Right Side?
What quadrant is the urinary bladder in? According to the 9-region theory, the urinary bladder falls in the hypogastric region. But through the eyes of the 4-region theory, the urinary bladder doesn’t really fall under either the right or the left side. It sits mostly in the center of the pelvic region. It is surrounded and attached to various organs and pelvic bones. (See Number of Bones in Human Body Male vs Female)
3. What Quadrant is the Urinary Bladder in?
The two types of division theories are complicated and often confusing. And an obvious question that arises is what quadrant is the urinary bladder in? The urinary bladder is in the hypogastric quadrant. The word hypo means below, and gastric means stomach or belly. As a result, the term hypogastric refers to its location beneath the stomach. The small intestine, the sigmoid colon, the rectum, the uterus, the right, and left ureters, and the fallopian tubes are some other organs that also fall into the hypogastric region. (See How acidic is the stomach acid?)
4. What Organs are in Each of the Four Quadrants?
The line that divides the abdomen into 4 quadrants is the most common way of division. These quadrants contain certain organs. The major organs that each quadrant contains are:
- Right upper quadrant: The right lobe of the liver, the gallbladder, the pylorus of the stomach, the head of the pancreas, the right kidney, and the right adrenal gland.
- Left upper quadrant: The left lobe of the liver, the spleen, the stomach, body, and tail of the pancreas, the left kidney, and the left adrenal gland.
- Right lower quadrant: Appendix, proximal ascending colon, majority of the ileum, right ureter.
- Left lower quadrant: Left ureter, sigmoid colon, urinary bladder.
All four quadrants contain parts of the small and large intestines. (See When and How do body systems work?)
5. What is located in Each Abdominal Quadrant?
The main motive behind dividing the abdomen into quadrants and regions was to be able to divide the organs properly and to make studying the organs easy. Must see What is the Medical Term for Gooch?
There are two ways of dividing the abdomen: 9 regions and 4 quadrants. You already know the 4 quadrants of abdomen, to get a detailed view of what quadrant is the urinary bladder in and other organs as well, let’s talk about 9 regions.
- Right hypochondriac region: the liver, the gall bladder, the small intestine, the ascending and transverse colon, and the right kidney.
- Left hypochondriac region: the stomach, top of the left lobe of the liver, the left kidney, the spleen, the tail of the pancreas, part of the small intestine, and the transverse and descending colon.
- Epigastric region: the esophagus, the stomach, the liver, the spleen, the pancreas, the right and left kidney, the right and left ureters, the right and left suprarenal glands, the small intestine, and the transverse colon.
- Umbilical region: the stomach, the pancreas, the small intestine, the transverse colon, and the right, and left ureters.
- Right lumbar region: the tip of the liver, the gallbladder, the small intestines, the ascending colon, and the right kidney.
- Left lumbar region: a portion of the small intestine, a part of the descending colon, and the tip of the left kidney.
- Hypogastric region: the small intestine, the sigmoid colon, the rectum, the urinary bladder, the right and left ureters; the uterus, the right, and left ovaries, and fallopian tubes (in females); the ductus deferens, seminal vesicles, and prostate (in males).
- Right inguinal region: the small intestine, the appendix, the cecum, the ascending colon, the right ovary, and the right fallopian tube (in females).
- Left inguinal region: part of the small intestine, the descending colon, left ovary, and left fallopian tube (in females).
6. Which Organ is located in all 4 Quadrants of the Abdomen?
Reading so far, this question is not that difficult to answer, is it? Which organ is located in all 4 quadrants of abdomen? The answer is small and large intestines. There are portions of both the small and large intestines in all 4 quadrants. Must check out the 90 mind blowing human body facts.
7. What Organs are in Right Lower Quadrant?
As discussed previously in the article, the abdomen is divided into 4 quadrants: the right and left upper quadrants; the right and left lower quadrants.
The right lower quadrant has the majority of the ileum, the cecum and vermiform appendix, the proximal ascending colon, and the proximal right ureter. (See Are There 9 Holes in Human Body?)
8. What Structures are located in the Right Upper Quadrant?
The right upper quadrant extends from the umbilical plane to the right ribcage. The organs in the right upper quadrant are the right lobe of the liver, the gallbladder, the pylorus of the stomach, the head of the pancreas, the right kidney, and the right adrenal gland. (See Is an Outie Belly Button a Hernia?)
9. What Organs are in the Lower Left Quadrant?
In the lower left quadrant, the organs included the lower portion of the left kidney, the left ureter, and part of the colon. (See Why are arteries red?)
10. What Quadrants are the Kidneys in?
You already know what quadrant is the urinary bladder in, let’s see what quadrants are the kidneys in. The kidney can be found in the right and left upper quadrants. The right kidney is located in the right upper quadrant and the left kidney is located in the left upper quadrant.
The division of the abdomen into quadrants makes it easy for students and medical personnel to study the abdominal area. It also eases the identification of pain and tenderness by narrowing down which areas and organs might be involved. We hope with this article you were able to gain some knowledge about the abdomen, its quadrants, the organs, and the significance of the division. Hope you are clear about what quadrant is the urinary bladder in, the quadrants of abdomen, and what quadrants are the kidneys in. (Also read Where are Most Triglycerides Stored in the Body?)