An organization of people shares a common economic, industrial, and social infrastructure with society. Despite the conflicts, there are several reasons for the significance of society. Want to know more about the importance of society? Continue reading this article to learn about the purpose of society and related queries.
1. What is Society in Sociology?Photo by Matheus Bertelli:
According to sociology, when a group of people have a common culture and interaction and belong to the same territory, they form a society. (See What is a Community?)
2. What are Different Types of Society?
According to sociologists, there are three types of societies based on technology, gathering (the ones who gather plants), and hunting (who survive by hunting animals and fishing, which are today on the verge of extinction). Relocation had to take place in societies with plentiful resources. These societies are also mobile but small and nomadic. There was an equal distribution of labor based on gender because males could travel long distances and capture large animals while females hunted short distances for small animals. They also followed tribal culture. This is one of the importance of society. The other societies are:
- Agricultural societies,
- Pastoral societies,
- Feudal societies,
- Horticultural societies, and
- Industrial and Postindustrial societies. (See What are the Characteristics of Population?)
3. What is the Purpose of Society?
The purpose of society is to regulate public facilities and form groups and cultures. The various purposes are:
- Support: The group provides emotional, physical, medical, and financial support to each other.
- Culture: The way of living of individuals is shaped by the formation of culture in a society. A particular pattern of human activity is defined and represented by the language and religion of the society members. Thus, in a society, individuals are bonded with common traditions, literature, and beliefs, making culture important. (See How is Culture Transmitted from One Generation to Another?)
- Social Groups: The pattern of relationships between people defines social groups and their interaction results in strong social bonds.
- Common Goal: To achieve a common goal, society members move along and make unanimous decisions. They make collective efforts and improve social conditions, providing a strong support system.
- Regulation: A society is regulated by a central management body such as a government regulating the public transport system and educational and health facilities.
4. What is the Purpose of Society According to Locke?
Locke describes civil society as a group of individuals. The purpose of society is that individuals stay united to protect their property, designs and well-being, guarantee their liberty, and govern their behavior.
5. Why is Society Important? What is the Importance of Society?Photo by Nicole Herrero on Unsplash
The factors that make a society important are:
- Technological advancement
- Shared services
- Efficient markets
- Efficient infrastructure
- Common goods
- Capital distribution
- Education and knowledge
- Creative tension
- People and planet
- Counter arguments
- Human experience
- Society theory
- Contemporary issues
- Civil society
- Social Cohesion
- Social conditions
- Things in cities
- Shared meaning
- Social identity
- Social problems
- Power imbalance. (See Top Flash Mobs around the World)
6. Explain Relation Between Individual and SocietyPhoto by arty on Unsplash
The relationship between society and the individual is complementary and reciprocal. An individual is an integral part of society. Individuals represent parts of society. Thus, there is no contradiction. Conflicts may occur between the both sometimes. When the individual is selfish and ignores social interests, society should compel such person from society. Thus, a sacrifice of an individual can take place for society’s good.
The significance of society is that it promotes an individual’s happiness and is responsible for their development, proving the harmonious bond between the two. (See What’s the Difference between Urban Suburban and Rural Regions?)
7. How does Society make us Human?
Society sets rules for humans so that humans work together in a certain manner. Thus, this is the significance of society. (See Study How Human Society Think?)
8. How can you Contribute to the Society?
You can contribute to society in the following ways:
- Reach out to people and help them in everyday life.
- Show your empathy for people and be a good listener.
- Build the character of the young community and mentor them.
- Help others in society by volunteering in organizations like food banks, hospitals, or shelters.
- Donate blood to injured or needy people.
- You can also contribute to civic society by voting in elections, finding meaningful employment, and paying your taxes timely.
- You can donate to the society, support through charity, and help local kids by teaching them.
- You can also help the environment by using the 3 R’s, i.e., reduce, recycle and reuse, use public transport as much as possible, plant trees, and use solar power for electricity at homes and offices. Also, check out What is Sustainability and Why is it Important?
9. What makes a Good Society?Photo by Monstera
Important factors that make a good society and fulfill its purpose are:
- Law and order
All these factors add to the importance of society. (Also read 9 Facts about Organizing a Flash Mob)