The Swinging Sixties, just like several other significant eras, has its own importance which turned the way of the world with the introduction of various movements, products, economy, ideology, culture, politics, peace, war, and much more. However, these are the major segments of society, but if you focus on the minor segments of the very society such as how the family managed their household or what were the commonly used items in the 1960s, what were the products during the 60s, you would be captivated with astonishment knowing about these differences of 1960 and the present year. Read the article to know what did things cost in 1960 and other facts related to the sixties.
1. What are 5 Commonly used Items in the 1960s?
It is quite special as it was a decade known for its Counter-Culture. The year 1960 experienced the launch of new products that were convenient to the consumers both in terms of quality and of being portable. Household appliances and portable devices became trending in 1960 because working women focused on using time-saving appliances. So, what did things cost in 1960? Here is the list of 5 major-commonly used items in the 1960s:
- Video Cameras
- Tape Cassettes
- Type Writers
- Phonographs (also known as record players)
2. What was Trending in 1960?
The establishment of cultures, developed during the 60s is still active today. What made the decade significant was the revolutionary movement in the social norms that involves different sectors of a running society such as clothes, music, drugs, sexuality, civil rights, formalities, military duties, schooling, and many more. The decade brought a wide range of music known as popular music or pop music. The most significant figures are the Beatles, the lyrical songs of Bob Dylan, etc. The year was much more significant because of the Vietnam War, the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy, The Woodstock Festival of 1969, cultural revolutions, and much more.
Therefore, we can say that pop culture was perhaps prominently trending in 1960 which was reflected highly through fashion and music. Ponchos, love beads, moccasins, chain belts, peace signs, polka dot-printed fabrics, and long puffed bubbled sleeves were trending in 1960 along with bell-bottomed jeans, Jesus sandals, tie-dyed shirts, and headbands.
3. What did Things Cost in 1960?
Until now, you have known about what were the commonly used items in the 1960s. But what did things cost in 1960? And furthermore, are those items expensive today or cheap? Here is a list of different things along with the prices to understand what things cost in 1960 UK:
- The average rate of houses before 1960 was around $19,000. However, at the start of 1960, the rate of houses turned to $24,000.
- Cars ranged from around $2,200 to $3,000. However, few cars ranged from around $6,000 to $7,000.
- The rate of a gallon of gasoline went from 31c in 1960 to 34c in 1969.
- The average rate of annual telephone calls rental along with one thousand local calls was $43. Long-distance calls were much more expensive.
- You are quite familiar with McDonald’s. Their hamburger was priced at 15c which rose to 18c after 1967.
- Posting letters cost around 4c to 1 ounce as per the weight.
- The television costs around $95 to $800.
- Toys were priced at around $2.30 to $20
- Stationery items such as ballpoint pens or fountain pens were priced around $8.95
- The prices of cameras ranged from $5 to $300.
- Oven Joy sliced loaf (1lb) – 35c for two
- Ballerina bread loaf (1lb) – 19c
Canned/bottled meat and fish
- Vita Gefilte fish 22oz jar – 99c
- Corned beef 12oz can – 59c
- Finast solid white tuna in brine 3 × 7 cans – $1
- Chun King chow mein (mushroom or chicken) 1lb can – 87c
- Cambell’s soup 6 × 10 cans – 95c
- Nescafé instant coffee 8oz jar – $1.23
- Red Circle ground coffee 1lb pack – 59c
- Nestles’ instant chocolate Red Can 8oz – 29c
- Lipton tea bags (48) – 59c
Cakes, biscuits, and chocolates
- Nabisco Ritz crackers 1lb pack- 29c
- Angel food cake- 39c
- Pecan Crunch coffee cake – 33c
- Finast crisp rice 10 pack – 29c
- Finast corn flakes 2 × 8 packs – 37c
- Uncle Ben’s long grain white rice 28oz pack- 39c
- Carnation instant milk 9oz can- 29c
- Roman Pizzarettes 10 pack – 39c
- Haddock dinner – 2 × 8 packs – 99c
- Birds Eye crinkle cut French fries 2 × 9oz packs – 33c
- Pillsbury gingerbread mix- 29c
Fruit and vegetables
- Your Garden – peas 6oz – $1
- Your Garden – carrots 6oz – $1
- Large-size California nectarines 1lb – 23c
- Iceberg lettuce – 19c
- Baking potatoes 5lb bag – 29c
- Washington State apple 2lbs – 35c
- Finast cream cheese 2 × 3oz packs – 23c
- Buko cheese spread 4 × 3½ packs – $1
- Dairylea whipped cream 7oz can – 43c
- Fleischmann’s margarine 1lb – 45c
Meat and fish
- Steak – 59c-89c per lb
- Turkey – 35c per lb
- Fresh grade A frying chickens – 52c per lb
- Ribs of beef – 55c per lb
- Corned beef ½lb -95c
4. What did Things Cost in 1960 UK?
As we move on to discuss what did things cost in 1960 UK, the average price of houses in the UK during 1960 was around 2,500 pounds. However, the things cost in 1960 UK are listed below:
- A gallon of petrol – 4s 8d
- Pint of beer – 1s 10d
- 20 cigarettes – 4s 1d
- A box of matches – 2d
- The Daily Mirror newspaper – 2½d
- Average house price – £2,235
- Ford Anglia car – £589
- Rolls Refrigomatic refrigerator – 57 guineas
- Rolls Electromatic Twin Tub washing machine – 52 guineas
- Hoover Junior vacuum cleaner – £3 17s 4d
- Colston dishwasher – £89 5s 4d
- Light bulbs – 1s 2d to 1s 8½d
- Pint of milk – 8d
- Bush television – 54 guineas
- Bush TR82 transistor radio – 21 guineas
- Qualcast Panther push lawnmower – £8 2s 9d
5. What was the Cost of a Loaf of Bread in the 1960s?
Among the things cost in 1960 UK, the price of a loaf of bread in 1960 was around 5p in the United Kingdom whereas, in America, the price was around $0.23. Currently, it costs around $1.88.
6. How much was a Pint of Milk in 1960? How much did Milk Cost in 1960?
During the 1960s, a pint of milk was priced at around $0.125. During the first half of the 60s, a gallon of milk cost $1 which rose to $1.05 during the second half of the 60s. Check out How much can You Sell a Beef Cow for?
7. How much did a Pizza Cost in 1960?
A slice of a pizza in 1960 typically cost around 60 cents. However, the very price rose to $35 in the 70s. Pizzas were mostly available in Brooklyn which cost around 60 cents served with a coke which priced a dime.
8. How much did a Bottle of Beer Cost in 1960?
During the 1950s and 1960s, the pack of beer was priced at around $2. Although this sounds really like a bargain, according to the adjustment in inflation, a six-pack beer costs less now than it was priced during the 60s. The beer ranged from $1.70 to $1.92 through a regular increase each year. (See What was the Reason for European Exploration?)
9. How much were Cigarettes in 1960? How much were 20 Cigarettes 1960?
We have already cultured out what did things cost in 1960, however, the most consumed product is cigarettes which in 1960, ranged from $35 to $50 and were available mostly at the rate of $50 in the neighborhood. However, with an inflation-adjusted basis, cigarettes are expensive nowadays due to high txt rates which is almost 80%.
10. How much did a Book Cost in 1960?
Books during 1960 cost around $0.35. However, the price increased in the succeeding years. In 1962 books cost around $0.50, $0.75 in 1965, $0.40 in 1967, and $0.60 in 1969.
We may conclude what did things cost in 1960 with the fact that apparently, it looks like things usually were cheaper in the old days than they are now. But these are wrong, as there are several exceptions such as the pack of beers which are cheaper nowadays. However, the majority of the products were usually cheaper during the old days, than they are now. (Also read How did the Middle Colonies make Money?)