Every organism needs a home which is called a habitat. They have an environmental status where organism needs to survive. The essential elements of a habitat are the basic things without which plants and animal species will not be able to survive for a long time. But do you know what are the 5 essential elements of a habitat? As we know there are different habitats including plants and animals. Let us learn the 5 components of wildlife habitat further in this article.
1. What are the 5 Essential Elements of a Habitat?
The 5 basic elements of a habitats are food, water, shelter, space, and air. Every habitat has suitable arrangements when it has ample amounts of all of them. They meet all the components which are essential for their survival. To know what are the 5 essential elements of a habitat in detail, take a look:
- Food: Every habitat needs food to eat, sometimes animals hunt and store food. Some of them are herbivores and some are carnivores who hunt and store. Therefore, food is the main element of habitat.
- Water: Water is also required for survival. Plants need water to grow from roots and animals and humans live on water after food. The watersheds are important to forest and city dwellers and man-made pollution affects both.
- Shelter: Except for plants, animals need to move for shelter. Some animals make specific places their home.
- Air: Air is an important element for any living thing. The air needs respiration for oxygenating the blood. Air is found everywhere.
- Space: Space is an important habitat that helps animals and plants to find a mate and feel comfortable. They need to satisfy the requirement.
2. How many Types of Habitats are there?
There are 3 main types of habitats. Aquatic, terrestrial and arboreal habitat. All these have essential elements of habitat such as air, water, shelter, food, and space. (See What are Main Habitats of Plants?)
3. Do Animals need Different Types of Habitats?
Yes, every animal has different habitats, due to their suitability in the environment.
Each creature has unique qualities that enable it to thrive in a particular environment. For survival, any organism has to get immune to the present environment. But this does not mean that an Alaskan MalaMute has to stay in some other country to be immune. It means it must get used to the temperature rising and falling in the same area where it resides. This is because they have the perfect prey, shelter, and other essential elements of a habitat that could support them for their survival.
4. What are the 5 Components of Wildlife Habitat?
Wildlife also has the main components of wildlife habitats. They are all similar to what are the 5 essential elements of a habitat since they dwell in the same habitat and they are living organisms. Except for the plants that do not need shelter.
- Air, water, and food are important for the habitat as a whole.
- Space can be a part of the question. Because animals need to move from one place to another to find their prey.
- Shelter is an essential component because they also have to protect themselves from predators and from different climatic changes.
5. Is it Important to Protect the Coast for Wildlife Habitats?
Yes. The coastal area is very prone to pollution and other climatic conditions. They have certain challenges which are influenced by climate changes and rise in sea level, global warming, and acid rain.
6. Why is Wildlife Habitat Important?
As you are aware of what are the 5 essential elements of a habitat, see why it is important:
- They maintain balance in the ecosystem.
- They are a source of nutrients to humans such as for growing crops, and people depend on their food.
- It gives medicines such as penicillin, aspirin, and morphine.
- People’s livelihood depends on wildlife.
- They are important for the economy.
7. How is Water Essential for Wildlife or any Living Organisms?
We know that among the 5 components of wildlife habitat there comes water also. Water is essential for all living beings on earth. The fishes need water to breathe other land animals need water to drink and stay hydrated. The plants need water to breathe and make their own food. Thus, water is an essential element of a habitat.
8. What is the Difference between Habitat and the Environment?
|Habitat means living space.
|Environment means the surroundings.
|It is a natural home for plants and animals.
|The environment has organic and inorganic elements.
|The different types of species live in one habitat.
|There are a number of species living in different parts of the environment.
|Habitat is made by humans or by animals.
|The environment is made by nature.
|Living things live in one habitat
|Living and non-living both dwell here.
Moreover, habitat differs from organism to organism where they find food, mate, and also reproduce. Hence, we can say that habitat serves different purposes for different living species. (See What Animal lives in a Den?)