Construction is a meticulous process where everything is measured and kept according to the setup. In the case of doors and windows, they are measured so that their frames can be prepared. Some types of doors like bifold doors are differently structured and should be handled with a different approach. In this article, we will be explaining to you how to size a rough opening for bifold door.
1. What is a Bifold Door?
A door that opens by folding its panels or section inside or outside is known as a bifold door or folding door. They have a minimum of 2 panels which can be increased to as many as the architecture desires. They resemble a concertina, a musical instrument and therefore these doors are also known as concertina doors. (See What is a Flight of Stairs?)
2. What are the Types of Bifold Doors?
Like other doors, bifold doors can be built internally and externally.
- The internal doors are used to cover laundry rooms, pantries, closets, etc.
- The external doors are mostly used as a passage door for entering and exiting the house. External doors are generally at the back of the house and connect the garden to the house. (See Outhouse Design)
3. Which Material is used in Bifold Doors?
Most people prefer aluminum for bifold doors but there are other materials available on the market. Apart from aluminum, you can choose Unplasticized Polyvinyl Chloride (UPVC), plastic, and wood for your bifold door. The next segments will discuss how to size a rough opening for bifold door in detail. (See 7 Moat Around Castle Facts)
4. How are Bifold Door Panels divided?
Bifold doors have various panels and each panel is of the same size. They are called by different names based on the number of panels. For example, a 72-inch panel will be called 6-0 (pronounced as six-oh) and it will have 6 panels which will be 12 inches each. (Also read Why Was Angkor Wat Built?)
5. What is meant by Sizing?
Before moving to how to size a rough opening for bifold door, let’s understand its sizing. The process of applying one material over another material to guard or strengthen is known as sizing. Applying materials like glazing paper or strengthening fabric protects the actual material from wear and tear. (See What Is the Average Garage Door Size?)
6. What is the importance of the Correct Rough Opening of Bifold Doors?
Before installing a bifold door in the wall, it is necessary to measure the rough opening to ensure the bifold door is of the right size. If the rough opening is measured incorrectly then you may face these consequences.
- The door will either be too large or too small.
- You may find gaps between the wall and the door.
- The door may not fit the frame. Also, check out what is a Chuckwagon?
7. What is the Standard Size of Bifold Doors?
The bifold doors are usually 80 inches (6.67 feet) tall but their width varies greatly from house to house depending on the space available. The standard openings of the bifold doors range from 24-inches (2 feet) to 72 inches (6 feet). However, it can go beyond 72 inches. (See What is the Standard Door Size?)
8. How to measure Wall Opening for Bifold Doors?
The correct way to measure a drywall opening is to keep it 2 inches wider and taller than the expected door size. For example, if a door is 48 inches by 80 inches, then the rough opening should be 50 inches by 82 inches.
This way, you will have a 1/2-inch-thick wall on either side while the space above and below the door will depend on the flooring. It also allows for easy and accurate installation of the finished trim boards. Now you know how to size a rough opening for bifold door. (See What is 5 Feet 6 Inches?)
9. How to measure Bi-fold Door opening for Jambs?
The bifold openings for jambs are measured slightly wider to provide space on three sides for the door jambs installation. For shimming, the process of filling the empty side spaces with pieces of wood or fillers, 1/4-inch space is left around the perimeter of the door. The door jambs are prepared beforehand so you will have to screw them with the boards. Therefore, it is necessary to install and level the door jamb. (See How many cm in a Meter?)
10. What are some Advantages of Bifold Doors?
Apart from knowing how to size a rough opening for bifold door and giving a luxurious look to your house, bifold doors have the following advantages.
- They make the house more spacious.
- They allow plenty of natural sunlight to enter the house.
- They are easy to install and access.
- They are easy to clean and maintain. (Also read about the Road Construction Process)
11. Do Bifold Doors have any Disadvantages?
Bifold doors will be a great addition to any house but they do some disadvantages which are as follows.
- Installing them on large scale like in buildings, schools, etc. can be expensive.
- Bifold Doors that are larger than the standard size will take up more space whether they are open or closed.
- If they are of big size then opening and closing these doors can be tiring.
- If they are not properly installed, they can put your privacy at risk. (See How does a Water Wheel work?)
After learning how to size a rough opening for bifold door, you can try to install them in your home and give it a different look that will catch the eye of everyone. (See How does a 2 Cycle Engine work?)