You might be surprised to hear about the four hemispheres of the Earth. Most of us only give thought to the two hemispheres we live in: the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. But there are other two hemispheres. Each hemisphere has unique characteristics and plays a vital role in our planet’s overall function. So, let’s take a closer look at how many hemispheres on Earth exists and the 7 continents and their hemispheres.
1. How Many Hemispheres on Earth?
There are four hemispheres of the Earth: Northern Hemisphere, Southern Hemisphere, Eastern Hemisphere, and Western Hemisphere. (See What is the Imaginary Line that Runs from the Geographic North To South Pole?)
2. What are the Four Hemispheres of the Earth? Where are they Located?Photo by Ruthie on Unsplash
To answer how many hemispheres on Earth, we have the names of the four types. The 7 continents and their hemispheres locations are also given below:
- The Northern Hemisphere among the four hemispheres of the Earth includes Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, and South America.
- The Southern Hemisphere includes Africa, Australia, Antarctica, and South America.
- The Eastern Hemisphere has Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia.
- The Western Hemisphere includes Africa, North America, and South America. (See How many States are Along the East and West Coasts?)
3. Where do all 4 Hemispheres meet?
The hemispheres meet at the Equator. The Equator is an imaginary line around the Earth that divides it into Northern and Southern Hemispheres. All points on the Earth directly on the Equator have the exact longitude (zero degrees).
4. Which Hemisphere has the Largest Area covered by Land?
The Northern Hemisphere has the most significant area covered by land. This is because the vast landmass of the Eurasian continent takes up a large portion of the Northern Hemisphere, followed by North America and Africa. Many large countries in the Southern Hemisphere (such as Brazil and Australia) are not nearly as populous as the north. So, the Northern Hemisphere has more land when it comes down to it. (See How Long does it Take to Get to Space?)
5. Which Hemisphere has Maximum Number of Continents?Photo by NASA on Unsplash
The Northern Hemisphere has a greater land mass than the Southern Hemisphere. It includes Europe, North America, most of Asia, and the northern part of Africa and South America. The Southern Hemisphere includes Australia, Antarctica, and the southern parts of Africa and South America. (See What is the Absolute Location of the Philippines?)
6. Name the Continents in the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere
Below is the list of continents in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres:
- Northern Hemisphere: Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, South America
- Southern Hemisphere: Africa, Antarctica, Australia, South America. (See Where does Earth End and Outer Space Begin?)
7. Name the continents in the Eastern Hemisphere and Western Hemisphere
Below is the list of continents in the Eastern and Western Hemispheres:
- The Eastern Hemisphere includes Africa, Europe, Asia, and Australia.
- The Western Hemisphere has Africa, North America, and South America.
8. Which Continent lies in All Four Hemispheres?
The continent of Africa lies in all four hemispheres. This is because Africa is the easternmost continent and extends downward from the Equator. The African countries closest to the Equator, such as Kenya and Tanzania, are located in the Northern And Southern Hemispheres.
As you travel southward from these countries, you eventually reach the southernmost tip of Africa, located entirely in the Southern Hemisphere. Similarly, as you travel northward from the Equator, you eventually get the northernmost tip of Africa, wholly located in the Northern Hemisphere. Therefore, because Africa extends across both polar circles (the line that divides the Earth into the Northern and Southern Hemispheres), it can be said to lie in all the hemispheres. (See How many Biomes are there in Africa?)
9. What is the only Country that falls in all 4 Hemispheres?
If you’re looking for the only country in all four hemispheres, you’ll want to check out Kiribati. This tiny nation comprises 33 atolls and reef islands, many of which straddle the Equator. That means that parts of Kiribati are in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres and the Eastern and Western Hemispheres. (See How many Solar Systems are there in Universe?)
10. Which Continents are in Three Hemispheres?Photo by James Wiseman on Unsplash
Africa is the continent that lies in all four hemispheres. However, there is no information on a continent that lies only in three hemispheres.
So how many hemispheres on Earth? The answer is 4. You have learned about four hemispheres, 7 continents and their hemispheres. (Also read How are Earthquakes Distributed on the Map?)