When you look at the world map, you see big and small islands floating in the oceans. Several islands among them are not accessible, but one of the best holiday destinations is Hawaii, where you can enjoy it to the fullest. According to the list issued concerning the top 10 best islands in the world, Hawaii holds the 2nd spot. So how about exploring this Island in terms of traveling to Hawaii today? How long does it take to drive around Hawaii? How many miles is Hawaii wide? How long does it take to get between Hawaiian Islands? Let’s travel through them all!
1. Where is Hawaii?
Before understanding how long does it take to drive around Hawaii, let us see where is Hawaii. Hawaii is one of the western states of the United States, located in the Pacific Ocean. Its distance from the mainland of the United States is about 2,100 miles (3379.6 kilometers). Hawaii does not share a border with any other states of the United States, and it is the only state which is not located in North America geographically. (See Is Hawaii in the Northern Hemisphere?)
2. How many Islands does Hawaii have?
Hawaii is an archipelago, which means an extensive group of islands or a stretch of water that has many islands. Therefore, it has numerous islands, out of which there are 8 main islands, along with numerous smaller islands and islets. The entire Hawaiian archipelago consists of 137 volcanic islands. The 8 main islands in the Hawaiian archipelago are:
3. How many Miles is Hawaii Wide?
Here we are talking about one of the main 8 islands of the Hawaiian archipelago. This island is a major tourist place. It is about 4,028 square miles and inhabits a population of approximately 186,700 people. To get an understanding of how long does it take to drive around Hawaii, you have to know the area of this island. (See What is the Smallest Island in the World?)
4. How Long does it Take to Drive around Hawaii?
In terms of distance, the Hawaiian island is larger than other islands. However, given the present size of the island, it will take you about 8 hours to drive around the island. But in near future, it may take longer than that because with every volcanic eruption the surface area of the land is continuously increasing. (See How many Miles to Drive across the US?)
5. What Type of Roads does Hawaii have?
Now that we know how long does it take to drive around Hawaii, let us understand the type of roads they have. It is an island and that too is a volcanic island. So, expecting a well-finished town road is not helpful. However, they have well-maintained roads but, in some areas, maintaining your driving is important because of rough pavements and potholes. Also, keep a check on the weather reports for rain because a long drive in rainy weather will be problematic. Visibility during the rain on the island is very poor. (See What is the positive effect of urbanization?)
6. Where is Saddle Road in Hawaii?
The most scenic drives on the Hawaiian island can be experienced on the Hawaiian State Highway 200 which is also known as Saddle Road the road here is 54 miles, linking downtown Hilo and the junction with Hawaii route 190 near Waimea. Crossroads on this route will take you to Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, moon landscapes, black lava fields, and rolling hills. There have been improvements on the road but still, there are some dangerous spots there. If you are planning to take this road, make sure to check the weather report and your fuel tank. (See What are the 7 Types of Transportation?)
7. What are the Rules of the Road?
Reading about the road rules is useful after knowing how long does it take to drive around Hawaii. Local residents are courteous to visitors but driving around the volcanic island must be followed as per the rules.
- Speed: Driving within the speed limit is necessary if you want to evade the fine. If you are caught speeding for the first time you will be charged a fine of $200 along with license suspension. And if you are caught under reckless driving you can end up in jail for 30 days with a maximum fine of about $1000.
- Alcohol: Even in these islands, the drink-and-drive rules are strict just like the other states in the United States. Driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.08% or higher is illegal.
- Car seat: Rules regarding children sitting in the car are strict here. A person is required to put on a seat belt at all costs but a child under 4 years of age must be seated in a child safety seat. Arrange for a child passenger restraint or booster if you are traveling with a 4 to 8-year-old child.
- Honk: People in Hawaii think that honking is very rude and the only time you should honk is for our safety.
8. How to know the Speed Range?
You can witness the beautiful scenery of Hawaiian island while driving, but it is easier to get confused by the changing posted speed limits. It is therefore necessary to pay attention to the signs and symbols on the road to avoid any misunderstanding and to keep yourself safe from being fined. (See When can navigation rules be overlooked?)
9. How Long does it Take to get between Hawaiian Islands?
If you are planning to travel to Hawaiian island you have the choice to take up a boat, a ferry, or a flight. Therefore, depending upon the distance and mode of transport the average time taken to reach the other Hawaiian Islands is between 20 minutes to 1 hour. However, if you are traveling in a connected flight, counting in the waiting time can make it up to 4 to 5 hours to travel between the islands. (See How Long does it Take to Drive 1 Mile?)
10. What is the Best Way to Travel between Islands?
Now that you are aware of how long does it take to get between Hawaiian islands, let’s explore the best way to travel among the islands. Traveling by flight is considered the easiest way to travel to other Hawaiian main islands because there are more than 100 flights a day. The main operating airlines are Hawaiian Airlines, Mokulele Airlines, and Southwest Airlines. Some islands also have more than one airport. Also, a ferry or boat offers only a couple of rounds.
So, how long does it take to drive around Hawaii? It is near about 8 hours or more depending on the road and weather conditions. Also, how long does it take to get between Hawaiian Islands? Well, it depends on the mode of transport you take. I hope you found this interesting and helpful! (See What does 70 Per Cent Travel mean?)