Plants make chlorophyll, you already know this. Two French chemists named Joseph Bienaimé Caventou and Pierre-Joseph Pelletier discovered the importance of chlorophyll to the plant in 1817. However, apart from this have you heard about liquid chlorophyll? Stay glued because today you will get to know about how long does a bottle of liquid chlorophyll last, why does liquid chlorophyll need to be refrigerated after opening, and how can liquid chlorophyll hurt you.
1. What is Liquid Chlorophyll?
Extraction of the green pigment of plant chlorophyll in the liquid is known as liquid chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is a natural compound found in plants while chlorophyllin is a supplement taken with or without meals. Chlorophyllin is derived from chlorophyll and bound to copper. (See What are the End Products of Photosynthesis?)
2. What is the Difference between Chlorophyll and Chlorophyllin?
The major point of distinction is that chlorophyll is a plant compound while chlorophyllin is a compound made from chlorophyll to be used as medicine. Chlorophyllin is a semisynthetic, water-soluble additive to medicines or food coloring. It is not fat soluble. Chlorophyll from the plants contains magnesium instead of copper. (See Which Best Describes the Dissolving Process?)
3. What are the Health Benefits of Liquid Chlorophyll?
This food-making green pigment from green plants is beneficial to humans in different ways. Take a look at the benefits of consuming it.
- It helps in eliminating fungus from the body.
- It helps in purifying the blood by detoxification.
- It can be useful for cleaning your intestines from bad bacteria.
- It stimulates the immune system.
- It helps in getting rid of bad body odors and bad breath.
- It is beneficial for the skin and heals it.
- It reduces acne, and redness, and closes open pores. Also, check out the 27 Health Benefits of Red Wine.
4. How to take Liquid Chlorophyll?
Before moving towards how long does a bottle of liquid chlorophyll last, see ways to take it. There are different ways of taking liquid chlorophyll, and it depends on the type of chlorophyll you are purchasing.
- If the brand provides you with ready-to-take drops you can consume them right away because they are made for consumption directly.
- But there are some brands whose liquid chlorophyll needs to be mixed with water or juice before consumption. Make sure to read the instructions mentioned on the bottle. (See Should I Count Calories or Carbohydrate Intake?)
5. Can You drink it Every Day?
According to the United States Food and Drug Administration, anyone above 12 years of age can consume liquid chlorophyll from 100 milligrams to 200 milligrams but should not exceed the dose of more than 300 milligrams. (See Are Nootropics Safe?)
6. Can You apply Liquid Chlorophyll to the Face?
Yes, with self-made masks you can apply them to your face as a mask. But before applying it directly on your face, make sure to do a skin test. For it, you have to apply it on your hand and let it sit for a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of 2 hours. This will give you an idea of whether your skin is tolerating it or not. Otherwise, if you have an itching or burning sensation you should drop the idea of using it on your face. (See Why is vitamin C good for you?)
7. Is it Anti-Aging?
According to a study, it is discovered that applying a gel-based skin product that contains chlorophyllin may reduce the effects of photoaging (aging signs developed from sun exposure). Therefore, topical chlorophyll is considered an anti-aging remedy. (See Why Does Zoloft Cause Weight Gain?)
8. Does Liquid Chlorophyll need to be refrigerated after Opening?
It is a form of supplement; therefore, it is recommended to keep it in a cool and dry place. It is better to store them in the refrigerator when you are not using them. This will also enhance its effect. Also, refrigerating it will protect it from getting worse, but you have to consume it within 2 years (maximum) from manufacture. In the next segment, you will read how long does a bottle of liquid chlorophyll last. (See List of Snacks with No Carbs)
9. How long does a Bottle of Liquid Chlorophyll last?
On most of the bottles of liquid chlorophyll, you cannot find an expiration date printed. But it is advised to use the bottle within 6 months to 1 year of opening it. This is to reduce any health-related risks. The longer it is kept, the liquid will lose its potency and degrade. (See What Fish does Caviar come from?)
10. Can Liquid Chlorophyll hurt You?
According to the researchers at Oregon State University’s Linus Pauling Institute, there are no harmful or toxic enzymes found in chlorophyllin. It is considered safe for consumption if taken in moderate amounts because excess consumption may have some complications depending on your system. Also, you must consider how long does a bottle of liquid chlorophyll last if you want to be safe. (See 25 Best Home Made Remedies for Sore Throat)
11. What are the Side Effects of consuming Liquid Chlorophyll?
Not everything is fit for everyone. Therefore, you need to make sure how long does a bottle of liquid chlorophyll last, if you are consuming liquid chlorophyll, and what are the side effects you can face. Then only you can consider whether it is fit for you or not.
- Abdominal discomfort like stomach cramps
- Diarrhea lasting up to a few days
- Discoloration or green urine or faeces
- Itching or burning when you apply it to the skin
- Nausea after consuming it because it affects your digestive system
- Risk of developing photosensitization. So you should avoid using it any longer because a prolonged usage of chlorophyll may develop a situation in which your skin becomes more sensitive when exposed to sunlight.
- Tongue turning yellow or black
- Vomiting due to produced stomach acids (See What Vitamin Deficiency Causes Brain Fog?)
12. Who should avoid taking Liquid Chlorophyll?
As you already know how long does a bottle of liquid chlorophyll last, take a look at this because it’s not good for everyone. As per the prevailing health issues and medication going on in certain people, it is advised to keep yourself from consuming liquid chlorophyll.
- Patients consuming methotrexate should avoid taking chlorophyll or chlorophyllin. The chlorophyll will delay the clearance of methotrexate from their system, which can be problematic. Methotrexate is a medicine prescribed to people being treated for cancers, rheumatoid arthritis, and severe psoriasis.
- A standard dose of chlorophyllin contains more content of copper than is required by humans. Therefore, the chance of developing toxicity is there but in the past 50 years, no one has reported such. (See Is an Outie Belly Button a Hernia?)
13. Is it available in Another Form?
Yes, chlorophyll supplements are available in tablet, capsule, and powder form. However, powder form is more preferred because it is easier to mix and capsules or tablets may have poor solvability. Chlorophyllin is available as food coloring because of its green color.
So, make sure, after opening the bottle, one year is the max as to how long does a bottle of liquid chlorophyll last. Also, you know why does liquid chlorophyll need to be refrigerated. And share this with your friends and family to make them aware of the ways how can liquid chlorophyll hurt you. (See 12 Best Keto Starbucks Drinks and Food Options)