The human race advanced with every passing year and invented various items and technologies for making our life easier and more comfortable. The discovery of electricity and the invention of the light bulb were notable inventions in human history. Later, batteries were invented to cope with the absence of electricity. You would have enjoyed playing with battery-powered toys. Batteries are available in different shapes, sizes, and power, like c size battery and b battery size. Today, you will get to know about different battery sizes with pictures.
1. Definition of Battery
A battery can be defined as a container filled with chemicals that can convert chemical energy into electrical energy. It is a source of power for various objects like flashlights, remote control toys, clocks, cell phones, inverters, etc. Batteries are available in different shapes and sizes. This depends on the function and device for which they will be used.
Italian physicist Alessandro Volta made the first battery in 1800. He named the battery Voltaic Pile. The modern battery consists of voltaic cells. The power supplied by the battery depends on the amount of energy released from the battery. It is a result of the chemical reactions of the electrolytes and electrodes. Continue reading to learn about three battery sizes with pictures. (Also read Who Discovered Electricity?)
2. Primary Battery
One of the commonly used batteries in your household is the primary battery. These batteries are used in television remotes, watches, clocks, etc. Listed below are its properties:
- The primary battery can be used only once. It cannot be recharged and reused. Hence, when their energy is fully drained, they are of no use.
- The chemical reaction taking place inside the battery cannot be reversed, and therefore it is impossible to charge them again. When this reaction stops, they stop producing current. (Also read How Does A Remote Control Work?)
3. Types of Primary Battery
Basic types of primary batteries with their functions are given below:
- Lithium batteries are the most commonly used batteries. AA, AAA, and 9V are battery sizes with pictures. One single AA battery power ranges between 2700 and 3400 mAh. This power is efficient for heavy usage and lasts four times more than other batteries.
- Carbon zinc batteries have low energy, but they are inexpensive. They cannot support any high-usage device, and they are hardly used these days.
- Alkaline batteries are very popular because they provide a capacity of more than 2500 mAh at a reasonable price. They have a high-performance graph.
- Mercury batteries are used for their long shelf-life and durability. They can be used in pacemakers and other medical devices.
- Zinc-air batteries or silver oxide batteries can be a bit costly and are mostly used in devices like pagers, hearing aids, etc.
- Magnesium batteries also have a high capacity with a long shelf life and are mainly used in aircraft or military radios. (Also read 4 Most Important Inventions of the Industrial Revolution)
4. Secondary Battery
A secondary battery can be recharged by connecting to an electric source. The chemical reaction is reversed by supplying electric current and taking it to the initial stage, making the cell available for reuse. This cycle continues for long periods. For example, the battery used in cell phones, remote control vehicles, cars, etc. (Also read How long does it take to fully charge a Juul?)
5. Types of Secondary Battery
The common types of secondary batteries are listed below.
- The nickel-metal hydride battery comes next in battery sizes with pictures that are basically a new version of nickel-hydrogen electrode batteries. They are used in satellites in aerospace applications.
- Nickel-cadmium batteries are the oldest, but they are still in the market because of their sturdiness and reliability. They have a longer life span and are used in many machines. (Also read How Lighters Work?)
6. A Battery Size
Every battery size used in our day-to-day lives serves the same purpose, but their size is different depending upon the size and use of the types of equipment.
- AA battery is available in various sizes, but the most common size is 94–1.99 inches (49.2–50.5 mm) in length, and its diameter is 0.53–0.57 inches (13.5–14.5 mm).
- AAA battery is 75 inches long (44.5 mm) with a diameter of 0.41 inches (10.5 mm).
- AAAA battery is available in a length of 5 mm and a diameter of 8.3 mm. They are alkaline batteries and have a power of 1.5 volts, and their capacity is 500–600 mAh.
- 23A battery has a diameter of 3 mm and 28.5 mm long. They can be roughly the size of two-thirds of an AAA battery. It consists of 8 cells within and supplies a power of 12 volts. (Also read How Calculator Works?)
7. B Battery Size
B battery is available in size 8464 inches by 2.36 inches (21.5 mm by 60 mm) and produces a power of 1.5 volts. In various battery sizes with pictures, they are alkaline batteries, and their capacity is 8350 mAh. (Also read What is Metal Made of?)
8. C Battery Size
- C battery is 97 inches (50 mm) long and has a diameter of 1.03 inches (26.2 mm). But their battery capacity and the period will remain charged depending on their usage and chemical reactions.
- CR2032 battery is a lithium-based battery with a length of 2 mm and a diameter of 20 mm. It can produce power up to 220 mAh.
9. Other Battery Sizes
- D battery is roughly 3 inches (61.5 mm) long and 2.42 inches (33.2 mm) in diameter.
- Another type of battery used is a 9V battery that is 1 inch (25 mm) long, 6 inches (15 mm) wide, and has a height of 1.9 inches (48 mm). But they can be made available in sizes 48.5 mm by 26.5 mm by 17.5 mm (height-length-width).
10. Points to Consider before Buying Batteries
You are aware of various batteries and their applications in your day-to-day lives, but if choosing the battery for an inverter or any other device, you should keep the following points in mind.
- First, you should decide whether you need a primary battery or a secondary battery. If you are using the device for a shorter period, then the primary battery is the right choice. But if the device is in continuous use, then the secondary battery is the best choice.
- Now in this article about battery sizes with pictures, you have read about the power or energy so you should check that before buying. Then, the life of the battery with its temperature and power input should also be adequately checked before purchasing.
- You should also look at whether it is energy sufficient or not.
- Also pay close attention to the time taken to recharge and discharge.
So, understanding different battery sizes with pictures was quite an electric journey. Pun intended! (Also read Vending Machine Deaths)