If you work in a kitchen, you must be aware of how crucial it is to clean all food contact surfaces. We prepare food in the kitchen; thus, it needs to be kept completely hygienic. Everyone who works in a kitchen must organize tasks and carry them out properly. It is necessary to clean utensils, fruits, and vegetables in the sink so that we can get rid of dust and unwanted dirt. There are different types of sinks available in the market. However, we must know which activity is not allowed in a 3-compartment sink. Let us see what are the 3 compartments of a 3-compartment sink used for in this article.
1. Which Activity is Not Allowed in a 3-Compartment Sink?
The three-compartment sinks are mostly found in hotels and restaurants. This is because every compartment in the sink is used for a different purpose. The first compartment is used for washing dishes. The second one is used to rinse the dish and the third one is to sanitize the dishes. These are the important activities that are allowed in the sink, so, which activity is not allowed in a 3-compartment sink? Some activities that are not allowed in the three-compartment sink are the washing or cleaning of clothes, meat, or vegetables, hand washing, or throwing of waste. (See What Features Food Contact Surfaces must be Equipped with?)
2. What are the 3 Compartments of a 3-Compartment Sink used for?
Take a look at the following points to know what are the 3 compartments of a 3-compartment sink used for:
- Always use the sink’s top drawer for cleaning and washing. A degreaser, soapy water, and a brush are required. The garbage and oils on the dishes are to be removed using this sink. The water in the three compartments must be at least 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The dishes are rinsed in the second chamber. They have their own water source. Avoid using any sort of sanitizer or chemical. Warm water in the sink is required for rinsing.
- Sanitation is performed in the third compartment. To start the disinfection procedure, the dishes are soaked in various cleaning agents.
3. Is Three Compartment Sink used for Cooking?
We know which activity is not allowed in a 3-compartment sink. However, the three-compartment sink should not be used for food preparation, it is advised so. The thing is that sink can be used to wash and sanitize dishes. However, if you wish to make any food, you must cleanly drain the sink before using it and sterilize it afterward. The kitchen team cannot wash dishes in the other sinks while the food is being prepared in this situation. (See How to Get Rid of Natural Gas Smell in House?)
4. How can You use the Three Compartments in an Effective Way?
We know what are the 3 compartments of a 3-compartment sink used for, but do you know how to use them effectively? We will see here:
- Throw out all the leftovers in a dustbin (keep different dustbins for dry and wet leftovers).
- Scrub the dishes in the soap water in the first sink.
- Rinse the dishes that you have cleaned in the first sink.
- Soak the rinsed dishes in the sanitizing water. The water must be 171º F.
- Dry the dishes with a towel or paper towel.
5. Can You wash produce in a 3-Compartment Sink?
Yes, the three-compartment sink is only to be used for cleaning produce, thawing food, and washing and wiping garments. But which activity is not allowed in a 3-compartment sink? It cannot be used to wash hands, and utensils or mop sinks. (See 75 Little Known Uses of Vinegar)
6. Can We wash Vegetables and Fruits in the Three-Compartment Sink?
Washing the vegetables and fruits is acceptable if you don’t have any dishes to clean in the same compartment. After washing, don’t leave the fruits or veggies on the sink top. (See 63 Amazing Ways to Use Baking Soda)
7. Are Kitchen Sponges a Good Way to clean?
Can you wash produce in a 3-compartment sink? Yes, but if you don’t have one, you’ll probably use a kitchen sponge. Given that food may get attached to your sink surface and attract microorganisms, the sponge is not always an excellent choice. Dishwashers and other disinfectants should be additionally used to clean the surface. (See How does Non Chlorine Bleach Work?)
8. Is it Important to Scrape Food before Cleaning?
Yes, we must scrape the food while using the sink, this is because the food that is left over might contaminate the sink as well might clog the sink. (See What are Some Simple Machines in your House?)
9. How to Clean the Three-Compartment Sink?
After you clean the dishes, be aware that bacteria and other microorganisms will linger there. Use single gloves to shield yourself from the sanitizer. Washing the sink both before and after cleaning is crucial. The three-compartment sink must be cleaned with brushes and detergents. The sink needs to be washed and disinfected after washing with soap and detergent.
Nowadays, the three-compartment sink is quite well-known in the food sector industries. It is utilized for dishwashing, sanitizing, and rinsing. This reduces or eliminates the risk of microorganisms in them. They are created keeping cleanliness in mind. However, some activities, including hand washing, are not permitted in the three-compartment sink. If you are unaware of these features, it is best to learn about them right away and install a three-compartment sink in your home. (See How to Clean Your Teddy Bear at Home?)