We all have spent a considerable amount of time in our childhoods listening to stories. Time passed by and these verbal stories were replaced by movies and shows that entertained us. But can you recognize what is common in all of these sources? Stories. Stories are present everywhere, but just in some different form. And do you know that there is National Storytelling Week held to celebrate the stories and storytellers all around? No? So, today you are going to look at this beautiful concept and get to know about how to celebrate National Storytelling Week. Not wasting your time anymore, let’s begin!
1. What is National Storytelling Day?
National storytelling day is celebrated every year on April 27 to celebrate the art of storytelling. This day was first celebrated by a businessman named George Rafeedie in 2009, who runs a creative marketing agency called Tell Your Story. Storytelling is an important part of the world’s heritage and is deeply rooted in our culture. This art has been used by humans for thousands of years now. History and the legacy of the world have been passed down from generation to through this art of storytelling. Storytelling was mainly done orally in ancient times but sometime later it started to be written down. (See Why do We Observe Holidays?)
2. Why do You have a World Storytelling Day?
You have a World Storytelling Day to celebrate the art of storytelling. This day aims to encourage storytellers to tell stories orally to as big an audience as possible. This art is one of the first arts to be used globally to pass down information from one generation to the next. Storytelling started in the caves when humans lived there and the stories were depicted through paintings and drawings. These are the very first representations of stories in the world.
Later on, it became more popular and people started to perform this art vocally because it acts as a great way of communication. Mostly our grandparents used to narrate them verbally and they were our biggest source of entertainment back then. Reading story books and comics was another level craze. Stories are a medium of entertainment that help in communicating ideas and information. World Storytelling Day is celebrated to celebrate this rich and vibrant art.
3. What can You say about National Storytelling Week?
National Storytelling week is celebrated every year from January 30 to February 6 to celebrate stories in every form. This week is celebrated to revive the art of storytelling by every storyteller. People of all age groups get the opportunity to express their talent and narrate stories to a large audience. It is done to celebrate the ancient art of storytelling which has survived the ravages of time.
The great part of storytelling is that it has been a part of our world for ages and is capable of living through time, unlike other art forms. All the cultures around the world have used this art to pass down information as well as act as a form of entertainment. So, it is important to highlight its importance and the role it has played since the beginning of human civilization. (See What is the Story behind 241543903?)
4. How do You Celebrate National Storytelling Week?
National Storytelling week encourages people of all ages and gives them a platform to express their art and talent in front of a large audience. It allows the expression of stories in every way. Storytellers of all ages, genders, communities, and regions are encouraged to narrate their tales. Some of the activities done to celebrate National storytelling week are:
- Great storytellers of past and present are honored during this week. It is a week to celebrate stories and live through their emotions.
- Storytelling events are held at various venues. All organizations such as schools, offices, museums, clubs, etc., host such kinds of events during National storytelling week.
- People narrate their stories. They act it out loudly for the world to hear. It can be for a large audience or just for friends and family.
- Stories can also be enjoyed in a form of movies, novels, dramas, or shows. Apart from the narration, these activities are also performed and watched by people. Artists are encouraged to express their talents and share their art.
5. Why do You Celebrate National Storytelling Week?
You celebrate National storytelling week to realize the importance of stories and the role they have played in our cultures. Stories are not just narrated, they are represented in the form of movies, writing, theatre, and so on.
- You celebrate National storytelling week to appreciate and revive the art of storytelling.
- Through storytelling, all cultures of the world have been able to narrate their history and heritage while passing it down to future generations.
- Stories are a way to communicate in an interesting manner.
- Storytelling is a powerful tool and stories are a way to express one’s emotions and feelings. They are a way to share one’s experiences as well. When people meet others with the same experience, they are likely to develop a bond.
- Stories have been deeply rooted in our cultures. They connect us with our past and develop a sense of belongingness with our group.
6. Is April 27 Special?
Yes, April 27 is special. It is celebrated as National storytelling day to celebrate the art of storytelling and motivate storytellers to express their art. This day is held to celebrate the legacy of storytelling.
7. What is April 29th National Day?
April 29th is National Independent Bookstore Day. This is celebrated on the last Saturday of April every year to celebrate the bookstores, online, and in-store. There is a one-day party held at bookstores with elements like exclusive literary items, books, live music, authors, contests, chocolates, cupcakes, and more. Every bookstore varies from the other and so, every party is different. This special event is unique to each bookstore. (See Why is Memorial Day a Holiday)
8. What are the Objectives of Storytelling?
Let’s know about the objectives of storytelling here:
- Storytelling creates a participative and immersive experience for the listeners.
- It is done to pass down information in an interesting and entertaining way.
- Stories offer an insight into a universal life experience.
- People who love listening to stories often end up being the storytellers themselves.
- It is a way of expressing and sharing one’s experiences.
- Through stories, one learns about new cultures and develops respect for others.
- It helps in learning vocabulary and enhancing verbal proficiency. The listening skills of the listener are also increased.
- It is a great way to learn empathy.
- Storytelling helps in generating new ideas and improves imagination.
9. What are Storytelling Activities?
Storytelling is an art of expression in a creative and authentic way. Through stories, one is able to express themselves and share some experiences without having to share directly. Also, it is a great way to develop and enhance many skills. Hence, storytelling activities are conducted for the enhancement of skills and to make people learn the art of expression.
These activities help people learn about cultures and get to know others’ experiences which helps in developing respect and empathy for others. They are a medium of communication in a fun manner. Storytelling activities can be done in a lot of ways like writing, narrating, making a film, drawing, creating a song, through pictures, drama, and many more. (See What is Process of Reading?)
10. How do You Conduct Storytelling?
Storytelling can be conducted in many ways:
- Sharing personal stories: One does not need to share everything about them but one can tell some major event and develop a story around it.
- Creating stories: Creating stories from some words given is an interesting way to learn and develop the skill of storytelling. Sometimes, the random stories become the most authentic ones.
- Jokes: Jokes or funny tales are great stress relievers and act as a medium for sharing experiences as well.
- Movies: Movies and shows are important mediums to tell a story. They are interesting and fun to watch. It develops anticipation and excitement. The viewers are able to get indulged in the story.
- Pictures: Pictures are a great way to tell a story in an intersection manner. The visuals develop a sense of excitement and anticipation among the readers. Pictures are a way to depict a story without words.
- Drama: Drama and theatre is other interesting way to depict a story. The real-time performances allow the viewers to feel that they, too, are a part of the story.
- Novels: Books and novels are a classic way of storytelling. They dig into the depths and allow readers to become a part of the book. The details presented in the novel are worth the read.
Hence, we can say that National Storytelling Week is a major opportunity for storytellers and listeners as people learn about cultures and get to know others’ experiences through storytelling activities. This is one of the most interesting art forms but sadly, an underrated one. Hope you like this article, and do share it with your friends and relatives if you find this an interesting piece. (Also read What are the Different Types of Folklore?)