We all know that every theory or topic we study in school is part of our life. One such science is the types of pulleys. The uses of a pulley in our everyday life are huge. Today, we will look into the examples of pulleys in everyday life and some compound pulley examples in this article.
1. What is Pulley?
It is a wheel by which a cord, flexible rope, chain, cable, or belt is carried on its rim. To transmit motion and power, the pulleys are used. When the edges are grooved, pulleys can be referred to as sheaves. To lift weights, rotating pulleys are used independently or with other pulleys to provide large forces and mechanical advantage. A block and tackle is a form of an assembled pulley. (See What is a Chuckwagon?)
2. What are 3 Types of Pulleys?
The three types of pulleys are:
- Fixed Pulley: In a structural system, when the blocks of the pulley are fixed, such a pulley system is a fixed pulley system.
- Compound Pulley: When multiple ropes are used to attach several pulleys to a fixed pulley, such a system of pulleys is known as a compound pulley. This system requires less amount of effort to lift weights as there is more a number of wheels.
- Movable Pulley: The load is carried by a movable system in this pulley system. Groove is tied with an extensible string, with one end free and the other end fixed. (See Features and Types of Bale)
3. Is Crane a Pulley?Photo by Guillaume TECHER on Unsplash
Yes, the crane is a kind of pulley system used for lifting conveniently and having a simple structure. For navigation and ship, the water process crane is used. The cost is saved by multiplying the tension. The direction of force is changed, and it is a combination of the movable and fixed pulley. Less labor is required when more moving pulleys are used. These pulley parts act as load-bearing parts, which are the main. The combination of dynamic and fixed pulleys forms the set of the pulley. (See How Cranes Work?)
4. Explain 3 Uses of Pulley in Everyday Life
The uses of a pulley and examples of pulleys in everyday life are:
- In an Elevator: The strain and friction in an electric motor of a pulley are reduced using a pulley. The weight of more than five people is carried from the ground against gravity by the pulley system in an elevator, distributing the weight of the pulley evenly, which makes the elevator light. This prevents you from working additionally.
- For Drinking Water: An effective and convenient pulley method is used in rural areas to fetch water from the well.
- In Vehicles: To run the cars smoothly and increase the power, pulleys are used. Also, check out how fast does the fastest car go?
5. List 5 Examples of Pulleys in Everyday Life
The 5 examples of pulleys in everyday life are given below:
- Flag raising
- Cargo lifting
- To draw curtains
- Extended ladder (See What are Examples of Screw as a Simple Machine?)
6. What Household Items are Pulleys?
You may come across several uses of a pulley in household items to make our daily life easy and used to lift heavy weights. The household items examples of pulleys in everyday life are:
- Blinds in the Curtains in homes and theaters
- Flower Basket pulley for watering the flowers
- Water well
- Hanging lights in the kitchen
- Sliding doors of bathroom
- Adjustable clothesline
- Sewing machine motor (See How does a Water Wheel work?)
7. Which is a Type of Pulley that is Used in Construction?
The main uses of a pulley are for construction. A crane is used as a pulley system. This crane pulley system is of two types:
- Fixed Pulleys: This crane fixed pulley system is used for force direction change and not to save effort or force according to the condition of lever balance as seen by the constant value of the spring scale. It is based on the principle of an equal arm lever having the resistance L2 and power L1 arms which is the same as that of the pulley radius.
- Dynamic Pulleys: It is a type of lever having the resistance arm half of that of the power arm, which saves the force and distance up to half. Both sections of the rope carry the half weight of the hook, which is suspended by each section. The distance is high because the power moves a greater distance than the hook code. The principle behind it is that the resistance arm L2 is half the power arm L1. (See Road Construction Process)
8. What are Some Compound Pulley Examples?
Elevators, sailboats, garage doors, gym equipment, and flagpoles are some common compound pulley examples of pulleys in everyday life. The construction sites use compound pulleys to lift heavy weights.
9. What are Examples of Fixed Pulleys?
The fixed pulley examples with the uses of a pulley are
- Flagpole: The flag is attached to one end of the rope and acts as a load. A flag is pulled up by pulling the other end of the rope downward. This is how the flag is unfurled easily.
- Adjustable Clothesline: Clothes can be hung easily using a clothesline pulley used on the balcony so that clothes are quickly dried.
- Motor Pulley: A timing belt in the automobile engine is guided by a motor pulley in a car and sewing machine.
- Water Well: A practical and common example is the force exerted downward using all weight.
- Window Blinds: Horizontal window blinds are used daily that use lift strings. Its length determines the number of such strings.
- Lighting Pulley: Such a pulley is used for home decor where lights can be hung at adjustable heights.
- Anatomical Pulley: It is a fixed pulley mechanism. A muscle tendon replaces the cord, and a pulley replaces bone or ligament. A bone is crossed over by a muscle tendon or fiber, which changes the direction of force, thus forming an anatomical pulley. (Also read 10 Facts About Motorized Single Wheel)