Ever since humans came to know about them, they have made several assumptions about possums. For some people, possums are good neighbors, while others consider them as pests who destroy their fields. Many people think possums are dangerous and try to figure out how to trap possums. People have developed several methods & techniques that might be useful to you if you wish to learn how to get rid of possums permanently too.
1. What are Possums?
Possums or opossums are mammals roughly the size of a house cat with a tail like a rat. They were found for the first time in New Zealand. They feed on everything including meat, vegetables, fruits, kitchen waste, dead animals, garbage, or small mammals. (See What Do Possums Eat?)
2. Why are Possums in My Backyard?
If you have possums lurking around your area or backyard then, it means that there is garbage attracting them. Possums may be found in urban areas in search of food. And when they find garbage or other attractants, then it can become a regular site for their visit. Sometimes they even make nests in your backyard, garden, roof, or nearby tree holes. Keep reading to learn how to get rid of possums permanently tricks & tips.
3. Why Get Rid of Possums Permanently?
There can be numerous reasons why people want to get rid of them, but the major concern is the diseases transmitted by possums. Possums carry diseases that are infectious to humans like spotted fever, relapsing fever, trichomoniasis, Chagas disease, tuberculosis, toxoplasmosis, tularemia, coccidiosis, and leptospirosis. These mammals are not infectious in terms of rabies because they are naturally resistant. However, they are a common ground for all the ticks that reach cats, dogs, and other such pets. (See Can Possums be Pets?)
4. How to Trap Possums?
It is easy to trap a possum with a cage-type box, simple box, or live-catch trap. Although, the proper place for setting up these traps is extremely crucial in how to get rid of possums permanently.
- The average size of the traps should be 10 inches by 12 inches by 32 inches.
- Traps should be placed on the usual route taken by possums.
- The bait in the traps should not attract other animals like stray dogs or pets. Therefore, whole raw chicken, peanut butter, or jam spread on pieces of bread is preferred for possums. Since possums eat a variety of food, you can also try bananas, grapes, or any other fruit.
Live catch trap should only be set up when professional wildlife help is available because handling a possum all by yourself immediately after capture is not recommended. (See Bloodhound – Dog with Best Sense of Smell)
5. How to Fence Properly?
Woven wires or electrical fencing can also be done to get rid of possums permanently.
- The height of the fences surrounding the garden should be 1 meter or 4 feet high.
- The fences must be facing outwards to prevent possums from forming a grip and climbing over.
- Electrical fencing should be done over the top of woven fencing for extra safety and placed 8 cm to 10 cm over the top end.
- Another way of frightening them is to set up motion-activated garden sprinklers. They can be helpful in both watering the plant and frightening off invading animals. (See How to Get Rid of Mosquitoes Indoors)
6. Are Chemical Repellants Helpful?
Chemical repellents are easily available at hardware stores or any home improvement store. They are basically in the form of powder with a powerful odor of the urine of common predators. Since possums also mark their territories and avoid entering other marked territories, therefore, this trick will trick them.
- These chemicals are applied to the flower beds, structure bases, and garden linings to keep possums away.
- This method is expensive because these chemicals need to be sprayed frequently for better results.
- If for once their essence vanishes, possums will re-enter. (See Are Possums Dangerous to Humans?)
7. How does Pest Control Management Help?
There might not be a need to set up a kill trap for them since it is not required. Moreover, killing a possum is illegal in many states. Then, how to get rid of possums permanently? Try out safer methods like learning how to trap possums without any damage to them or calling Pest control. Their officials are trained and experienced in such tasks, hence they will put up a customized plan for possum control which would keep them away from your house. It will also prevent their re-location. (See How Do You Get Chiggers Out of Your Yard?)
7. How to Avoid Possums altogether?
Traps or fences could prove to be dangerous for you or your neighbor’s kids and pets too. Another way in our how to get rid of possums permanently guide is to keep all the attractants away from your garden and surrounding areas.
- Pruning overgrown trees and shrubs should be done occasionally.
- Fallen fruits, rotting fruits, debris, brush piles, etc, should be removed immediately.
- You should not leave pet food open in your garden.
- Get a garbage can with a tight-fitting lid so that other animals may not open it too.
- Any openings in and around buildings, offices, and houses, should be blocked to prevent possums from making their nests. (See What is the Difference between Possum and Raccoon?)
8. How to Provide a Self-made Home instead?
Giving them a secondary nest is helpful in how to get rid of possums permanently. Opossums like cozy places with small entrances, that are safe from other predators and human access. Therefore you can create nests or purchase one from a nearby pet shop, or you can also take an old dog carrier and remove the front door. (Also Read 8 Types of Possums)