Most of you must be fond of toys and soft toys. Some are the available cutest-cuddly bears for you whenever you feel sad or just want to hug them. You all enjoy teddy bears as they make the most beautiful companion. Have you ever heard how did teddy bear get its name? Let us read more about these cuddle bears, like who invented teddy bear or why.
1. How did Teddy Bear get its Name?
The teddy bear was invented to present an honor to the then President, Theodore Roosevelt. The story began when the President was on a hunting trip near Mississippi in 1902 and was not able to locate a bear. After which, he refused to shoot one. Following the rage, a cartoonist decided to mock the act. So, he made a cartoon named, teddy’s bear. This cartoon solely was dedicated to the President for not shooting the bear.
However, the business began to grow and teddy bears were sold in the name of Theodore’s teddy bear. This was how teddy bears got their name. Now to know the answer to who invented teddy bear, must read the next segment. (See What is the Best Lava Lamp to Buy?)
2. Who invented Teddy Bear?
The first teddy was simultaneously created by two people. One was the Margarete Stieff, a German toymaker, who created a soft plush having movable arms and legs. This soft plush had a friendly face, just the way he saw after taking his nephew to the zoo. Moreover, Morris Michtom also was one of the toymakers who created the teddy bear in the U.S. His wife came up with this idea, after which he made a tiny bear cub and sent it to Roosevelt. (Also read When was the Unicycle Invented?)
3. Who is an Arctophile?
Are you fond of teddy bears? Then, you are an arctophile! Going into etymology, the word has its roots as arctos and phile, which means the one who loves bears. So many arctophiles buy antique teddies for their collections. The most expensive antique teddy costs around £110,000 and was sold in London to a Japanese businessman. (See How to Clean Your Teddy Bear at Home?)
4. Who owns the Largest number of Teddy Bears?
Theories reveal that there is a family that claims to own the largest number of teddies. According to rumors, they have approximately 5,000 teddy bears. Although, the official count is not yet done. However, the claims at the Volpp’s collection include teddy bears worth US $88,000. Some say that another enthusiast named Jackie Miley from South Dakota has the world’s biggest teddy collection with about 8,026 bear friends being collected till the year 2012. (See How to Use a Hula Hoop?)
5. How big is the largest Teddy Bear?
The largest teddy bear measures 19.41 meters in length and was constructed by Mexicans on 28 April 2019. The teddy was hosted at an event in Mexico to promote children’s day. The teddy had all the minute details engraved and the design was commercially available, such as in a tiara or a dress. (See How to Make a Super Ball?)
6. What are some of the Fun Facts about Teddies?
- The most dedicated magazine to teddy bears is Teddy Bear and Friends. It has more than 40,000 subscribers.
- As you already read who invented teddy bear, you might know that the original teddies are formed from Mohair Silk.
- Older teddies had long noses, and dark eyes, and were bear-shaped, unlike the current teddy bears, who are more gentle-looking ones. Also, check out what Pokemon Cards are worth money?
- The teddy bear that is based on a real bear is Winnie the pooh. The bear got its existence from the pet and the mascot in the group. The son of the author of the show grew a liking towards the creature and thus converted it into a teddy bear. (See Which Pokemon Oreos are Rare?)