You all go through doors every day in your lives. They are of various types based on the materials they are made of. You are probably familiar with the ones you see in houses, hospitals, and offices but have you ever noticed the difference in their sizes. In this article, you will find out what is the standard door size and the typical door height.
1. What is a Door?
A door is a hinged structure made up of wood, iron, or glass. You can enter and exit a place through doors. Doors are present in almost every room including the washroom, kitchen, etc. Their purpose is to provide access to the inside and outside of a place. (Also read Why Was Angkor Wat Built?)
2. How are Doors classified?
Before learning what is the standard door size, let us look at their classification. Depending upon their place of usage, doors are broadly classified as interior doors and exterior doors.
Rooms, washrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, storerooms, etc. are all considered under the categories of interior doors. While the main door or entrance door is said to be an exterior door. Doors can also be single and double paneled. (See 7 Moat Around Castle Facts)
3. What is the Standard Door Size?
Every country has a set standard for the infrastructure of residential places that includes doors and windows sizes. In most places, the standard size of doors is 80 inches by 36 inches (203.2 cm by 91.44 cm). They are popularly known as 6 by 8 doors or six-eight doors because of their size which is 6 feet and 8 inches. (See 8 Facts about Cracks in Sidewalk)
4. What is the Standard Door Size in India?
The Government of India has fixed the standard door sizes of rooms and entrances of schools, hospitals, and other public utility buildings. It is based on the function and mobility of these doors.
- The doors with dimensions of 36 inches by 84 inches (91.44 by 213.36 cm), 42 inches by 84 inches (106.68 by 213.36 cm), 48 inches by 84 inches (121.92 by 213.36 cm), and 36 inches by 96 inches (91.44 by 243.84 cm) can be used for the main entrance.
- The doors that are 32 inches by 84 inches (81.28 by 213.36 cm), 36 inches by 84 inches (91.44 by 213.36 cm), and 42 inches by 84 inches (106.68 by 213.36 cm) are used as living room and bedroom doors.
- Doors of the size 30 inches by 84 inches (76.2 by 213.36 cm) and 33 inches by 84 inches (83.82 by 213.36 cm) are used in toilets and bathrooms. (See What Does A Barometer Measure?)
5. What are the Different Types of Doors based on their Size?
Single front doors are the smallest type of doors. They are available in 3 primary standard sizes.
- The first one is a basic standard-size passage door which is 80 by 36 inches (203.2 cm by 91.44 cm).
- The second is 80 by 32 inches (203.2 cm by 81.28 cm).
- The last is 80 by 30 inches (203.2 cm by 76.2 cm). (See How to Remove Small Stripped Screws?)
6. What is the Typical Door Height for Entrance Doors?
Some people prefer a large entrance with double entrance doors. The standard doors for double entrance doors are of equal dimensions. Their typical door height goes up to 80 inches (203.2 cm) and their width can be adjusted as per requirement. Three main types of primary double doors are as follows.
- Two doors of 30 inches (76.2 cm) each, known as 60 inches doors.
- The 64 inches doors consist of two 32 inches (81.28 cm) doors.
- Two doors of 36 inches (91.44 cm) each combine to make 72 inches doors. (See Outhouse Design)
7. What are the Different Types of Interior Doors?
There are various types of interior doors with different standard thicknesses like 5 inches (12.7 cm), 6 inches (15.24 cm), and 75 inches (190.5 cm). Interior doors include
- Bedroom doors, double interior doors,
- French interior doors, standard interior doors,
- Sliding glass doors. (See What Causes Potholes?)
8. What is the Standard Door Size for Different Interior Doors?
Here are some common types of interior doors and continue reading to know what is the standard door size of these doors.
- Bedroom doors: The average height of the bedroom doors should be 80 inches (203.2 cm) but their width can vary. You can choose a width between 24 inches (60.96 cm) and 36 inches (91.44 cm).
- Double interior doors: They are interior versions of the exterior double doors. They make the passage more spacious and elegant. However, they are recommended for rooms with high ceilings by experts. Their standard height is 80 inches (203.2 cm) and you have three options for the width of these doors that are 72 inches (182.88 cm), 64 inches (162.56 cm), and 60 inches (152.4 cm). You can build a custom door of any size as long as it is within the minimum and maximum standards limits.
- French interior doors: French doors are glass panes that are fitted into wooden frames. They are preferred by most people for their beauty and colorful frames that give a sense of familiarity. Their standard size is 80 inches by 36 inches (203.2 cm by 91.44 cm). Models of these doors are available with widths ranging from 24 inches (60.96 cm) to 42 inches (106.68 cm).
- Standard interior doors: These doors are less artistic but more practical. The standard size of such doors is 80 inches (203.2 cm) tall and 32 inches (81.28 cm) wide. Although, according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) the standard width of wheelchair-accessible doors should be 36 inches (91.44 cm). However, their architecture is different from Indian architecture and they have doors that are 84 inches (213.36 cm) in length.
- Sliding doors: Sliding doors save space and are easily accessible. The standard height and width of a sliding glass door are 6 feet and 80 inches known as 6 by 8. They are available in various sizes depending on the manufacturer. The most commonly available sizes are 5 by 8, 6 by 8, and 8 by 8.
- Closet and utility doors: These doors are narrower than other doors and are mostly found in cupboards, closets, etc. Their height varies according to the place in which they are fixed. They are mostly 24 inches (60.96 cm), 28 inches (71.12 cm), or 30 inches (76.2 cm) wide. (See How to Achieve Zero Gravity?)
Now you understand what is the standard door size. The next time you pass through these doors, try to identify their type using the information you just learned. (Also read 35 Interesting Ways To Use Vaseline Petroleum Jelly)