The car industry is filled with various types of cars to meet the different needs, tastes, and preferences of the customers. One such car that fulfills the love of speed and robustness is the muscle car. You might have come across this word related to cars. Therefore, let us begin this journey by finding what was the first muscle car and what is the most popular muscle car. Our journey will take you towards what is the best muscle car along with what is the fastest muscle car.
1. What is a Muscle Car?
The best description of a muscle car is a group of two-door coupes made in America with powerful engines to give you an endless experience of high-performance driving. Earlier in the United States, these cars were referred to as Supercars. The cars manufactured in America between 1960 and 1970 for racing are considered muscle cars. (See What is a ricer car?)
2. What is a Coupe?
It is a passenger car with two doors and a shortened rear. The term coupe is derived from the French word meaning cut. It applies to the name because earlier the horse-drawn carriages without any back-facing seats were termed a coupe. Similarly, the coupe cars also have two front seats only. (See How the invention of cars affected the economy?)
3. What are the Characteristics of a Muscle Car?
A muscle car possesses the following features:
- The car has rear-wheel drive.
- It is designed for straight-line racing but can be used for regular street travel.
- Its affordable prices range up to $2500.
- It has a lightweight body.
- It has a large V8 engine. (See 8 Fuel Types For Cars)
4. What was the First Muscle Car?
As per the records, the first muscle car was an Oldsmobile Rocket 88, launched in 1949. It was a full-sized car with a powerful V8 engine. This car won 8 races out of 10 in which it participated in the 1950 season of the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR).
5. What is the Reason behind its Popularity?
The lovers of classic cars did not love them in vain. Before knowing what is the most popular muscle car, read the following reasons why people love to date them.
- These cars were simpler about technology and handling.
- The muscle cars were lightweight and small. Their design is still the main reason for the attraction.
- There were no driver aids installed in these cars which helped to make the driver perfect at driving with different styles. Because when there was no assistance, the driver was more focused and alert to avoid any mistakes.
- The speed with accurate mileage was yet another factor.
- These cars were affordable and easy to maintain.
- Their value increased over time instead of depreciating.
Now you have an idea of the reasons that made these cars very much likable, so continue reading to know what is the most popular muscle car. (See Who Invented Lamborghini?)
6. What is the Most Popular Muscle Car?
According to a survey done in 2020, what is the most popular muscle car in America is the Ford Mustang. The most popular top 10 muscle cars of the time are mentioned below. Must read how is gasoline made from oil?
- Pontiac Firebird Trans Am from 1977. It was also featured in the movie Smokey and the Bandit.
- The Plymouth Hemi Cuda from 1970 has a 425 horse-powered engine and was loved by racers.
- The Dodge Charger Daytona from 1969 was the car that won every race it participated in NASCAR during that year. It had a unique design and aerodynamics that no car was able to surpass.
- The Ford Mustang Boss 429 was an iconic car from 1969-to 1970. It was a sleek car with a horsepower of 375.
- The Dodge Charger R/T from 1968 was laced with a 375 horsepower engine and was considered a complete package among car lovers.
- The Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 from 1970 was an elegant, beautiful and powerful car with a 450 horsepower engine. It even surpassed the Camaro by reaching 60 mph in just 6 seconds.
- The Pontiac GTO (Grand Tempest Option) from 1967 was a legend because of its engine and design.
- The Chevrolet Camaro COPO ZL1 from 1969 has always been a popular muscle car because of its 500-horsepower engine.
- The Plymouth Road Runner Hemi from 1968 was considered the most street-smart and affordable muscle car.
- The AMC Javelin from 1973 turned out to be another legend among muscle cars and even launched a 4-seater version in 1974. (See 15 reasons it’s extremely stressful to drive a car in Egypt)
7. What is the Best Muscle Car?
The best of best muscle cars loved by people are
- Pontiac GTO, 1964, is considered the original muscle car from the 60s, which had amazing performances till the date.
- Oldsmobile Rocket 88, 1949, credited as the first muscle car, is also one of the best.
- The Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt, 1964, was the street-legal drag racer with the signature V8 engine.
- The Shelby Mustang GT-350 (new), 1965, is the new version of the original mustang muscle car icon.
- The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, 1967, became the substitute for the Ford Mustang.
- The Chevrolet Corvette L88, 1968, is the best muscle car while some consider it a sports car.
- The Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454, 1970, is known as the muscle monster of the 60s.
- The Plymouth Road Runner Superbird, 1970, was famous for its rear wing, which is similar to the planes.
- The Plymouth Hemi ‘Cuda, in 1971, became a muscle car legend in its time with a Hemi V8 engine.
- The Dodge Challenger Hellcat, 2015, is a modern era muscle car with the original characteristics. (See Why is Lyft cheaper than Uber?)
8. What is the Fastest Muscle Car?
The Dodge Challenger SRT Demon was launched in 2018 with a horsepower of 808 and a G-force up to 1.8. It has a 6.2-liter V8 engine it catches up to 60 mph in just 2.3 seconds. Yes, it is a record on its own and, hence, it is the fastest among all the muscle cars and also can be counted as the answer to what is the most popular muscle car. Other muscle cars in the list of top fastest muscle cars are:
- Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 launched, 2020 (60 mph in 3.3 seconds),
- Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody, 2020 (60 mph in 3.4 seconds),
- Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, 2020 (60 mph in 3.5 seconds),
- Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack, 2019 (60 mph in 3.8 seconds),
- Shelby Cobra 427 Super Snake, 1966 (60 mph in 4.5 seconds),
- Dodge Charger 426ci Hemi, 1968 (60 mph in 4.8 seconds),
- Plymouth Road Runner 426ci Hemi, 1969 (60 mph in 5.1 seconds),
- Ford Mustang Boss 429, 1969 (60 mph in 5.3 seconds),
- Buick GS Stage 1, 1970 (60 mph in 5.5 seconds),
- Plymouth Hemi Cuda, 1971 (60 mph in 5.8 seconds),
- Chevelle SS454, 1970 (60mph in 6.0 seconds). (See What Is The Meaning Of OD Off?)
So, now you know about what was the first muscle car along with what is the most popular muscle car. You also got to know about what is the best muscle car and what is the fastest muscle car, then share about your favorite of the above cars. (See How to Change Transmission Fluid and Filter?)