There are thousands of animal species living on earth, among which some are social while others are not so social. Few animal species are always seen in groups. But certain animals prefer solidarity. I wonder what is a group of monkeys called? Let us find out about this along with where do monkeys live and what do monkeys eat.
1. What are Monkeys?
Yes, you know what monkeys are but do you know the term monkey is used to refer to most of the mammals in the Simiiforms infraorder. Jointly they are known as Simians. Monkeys are divided into two groups as Cercopithecidae and Platyrrhini. (See What are the Best Monkeys for Pets?)
2. What are the different Types of Monkeys?
Based on their evolution characteristics, monkeys are classified into two groups, namely Old World Monkeys and New World Monkeys. According to the data received from Nature Education, the former has downward-pointing nostrils and is native to Asia and Africa. The latter have upward pointing nostrils and are native to North and South America. (See 20 Largest Zoo in the World)
3. What Skills do they have?
According to the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, monkeys from these two categories possess different skills from each other. Some monkeys from the New World category have long and strong prehensile tails which work like their hand and help them to grab things and swing on the branches. On the other hand, some old-world monkeys have cheek pouches in which they can store food. (See Why do Penguins not Fly?)
4. Where do Monkeys live?
Before moving ahead toward what is a group of monkeys called, take a look at their habitat. Monkeys are found in almost all parts of the world except two continents, namely, Antarctica and Australia. They love to make homes in warm and wet tropical rainforests. Amazon rainforests (South Africa) and Congo Basin (Central Africa) are a few places where these monkeys are found in large numbers. (See Where do Cows Live?)
5. Can they survive in Harsh Climates?
Not all monkeys, but some species have mastered this skill and can live in snowy mountains or desert-like areas. Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata) and Snow monkeys have thick fur and therefore, they can survive in the northern parts of Japan. According to the reports of Live Science, some monkeys even bathe in the hot water spring during winters to keep them warm. (See Why Do Bunnies Hop?)
6. What do Monkeys eat?
Everyone perceives monkeys to be banana eaters, but they do not feed only on bananas like minions. Monkeys are omnivores and their diet includes various things which are essential for supplying necessary nutrients and minerals to them. They eat nuts, fruits, meat, lizards or other small crawlers, insects, bird’s eggs, etc. According to a BBC News report from 2013, Saki monkeys can eat around 30 different fruit species in a single day. Also, check out what animal eats bananas?
7. Do they eat the same thing all year round?
Among the topic of what is a group of monkeys called, get to know about their food also. Their living environment along with the season prevailing decided their food. According to the Wisconsin National Primate Research Center, from January to May monkeys feed on ripe fruits but from June to December their diet includes mostly leaves. However, some species have specialized diets also. According to the African Wildlife Foundation, species of colobus monkeys have complex stomachs and mainly feed on leaves, because they can digest toxic foliage also which is not tolerable by other monkeys. (See 9 Differences between Mule and Donkey)
8. What is a Group of Monkeys called?
Monkeys are social animals and are always seen living in groups. A group of monkeys is known as a Barrel Tribe or a Troop. The term barrel was inspired by the kid’s barrel toys, and it was officially recorded in the 1800s. (See What is a One Hump Camel called?)
9. What are the different types of Monkey Groups?
Monkeys have a different social grouping system in which there can be only male, female, or a combination of both.
- The one-male group has only 1 male that heads the group of males and females. It is for a particular area and the monkeys residing in that area.
- Multi-male/female group has no head.
- The male-female group is led by a pair of male and female monkeys. This pair forms the basis of the group and protects it. Also, check out the difference between Apes and Monkeys
10. How is the Group of Monkeys used?
In the English language, the term for a group of monkeys in collective nouns is also the same. But every term has its meaning which is determined by the behavior of that particular monkey group.
- A cartload of monkeys is the term used for monkeys that coexist and are always seen together. (See Meaning Of One Two Fun Monkeys)
- A tribe is a collective noun term used for a group of monkeys that coexist and carry on some activities together. Any group which is not working together cannot be termed a tribe of monkeys.
- A troop of monkeys is the term used for describing a large group of monkeys living together. They exhibit social behavior more prominent than humans. Must read about the list of names for groups of animals.
So, today you got to know what is a group of monkeys called, where do monkeys live, and what do monkeys eat. Now, you can share it with your friends and family to spread the knowledge. (Also read How to Make Balloon Animals Step by Step Guide?)