42 was just a number until Douglas Adam’s Hitchhiker’s Guide to Galaxy got published. And then boom, people started analyzing and got to know that 42 is a pretty special number. If you are not familiar with books and stuff, this fiction proclaimed that 42 is the answer to the ultimate question about life, the universe, and everything. In this article, you will get to know what do people mean when they say 42 is the answer to life and what does 42 mean?
1. What does 42 Mean?
The number 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything and not only the meaning of life. After a lot of speculation, it is believed that it is impossible to know the ultimate question of life and its answer at the same time. Why? Because they cancel each other and replace the universe with something more bizarre in its place. (See Meaning of 40)
2. What do People mean When they say 42 is the Answer to Life?
If you are even more confused than before about the ultimate answer to everything, then don’t be. It is because when people asked Douglas Adams why did he choose 42 to be the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything, he simply said, The answer to it is rather simple. It is a joke. I thought it had to be a number, a small one and I chose that. Binary operations, base thirteen, and Tibetian monks are all nonsense. I gazed at my garden through my window and thought 42 will do. End of story. (See Why Lucky Number 9 is Auspicious?)
Though it started as a joke in the fictional book written by Douglas Adams, geeks started researching what does 42 mean and found that the number 42 has appeared in several significant art and literature works making everyone believe that maybe 42 is the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything. (See What is ATP Meaning in Text?)
3. What are some of the Entertainment References to 42?
Some of the significant and popular references to the question of what does 42 mean are given below. Check out the history of dark room film.
- In Alice in Wonderland written by Lewis Carroll, rule number 42 states that All persons more than a mile high to leave the court. It is important to note that Lewis Carroll was also a mathematician. (See How Tall is Elsa and Anna?)
- In Finding Nemo, Dory and Marlin go on a mission which is, Finding Nemo to 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.
- In the TV series Lost, the number 42 pops up a lot of times and plays a significant role repeatedly. You can also see that it is the last number in the oft number sequence.
- An episode is named 42 in Doctor Who, who got exactly 42 minutes to save his entire crew in the spaceship rushing towards the sun.
- In the episode of Inside Man of the series Supernatural, a door numbered 42 leads to heaven.
- The album, Death and All His Friends, by the band Coldplay features a song called 42 which is about life and death.
- Ting music albums last for 42 minutes. (See What Does Gangnam Style Mean?)
- The movie, Spiderman: Into the multiverse is filled with references to the number 42. Not only that but Miles Morales was bitten by a spider numbered 42 which transformed him into Spiderman.
- A lot of popular films and series like Toy Story, Star Wars, Captain Harlock, Stargate Atlantis, and Pacific Rim feature the number 42.
- Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the moon, Micheal Jackson’s Thriller, and AC/Dc’s Back in Black, are the best sellers.
- In the Book of Revelation, it is predicted that the beast will rule the world for 42 months.
- In Romeo Juliet by Shakespeare, Juliet drinks a potion given by Friar Laurence and goes into a death-like coma for 42 hours. (See What are Filler Words in Writing?)
3. What are some random Occurrences of the Number 42?
Throughout history, numbers have held some significant meanings, and many scholars and philosophers believed that numbers have souls and magical powers. To fuel the obsession with the number 42 more, below are some facts that make you go what?
- In the board game, Risk, a game of world domination the world is divided into 42 territories.
- In the tech world, the number 42 is a code for an asterisk symbol which is known as a wildcard character on the keyboard. (See What Does 3D Mean?)
- Elvis Presley died at the age of 42.
- The Rockefeller Center in New York has forty-two elevators in five separate banks.
- The favorite sport of Indians, Cricket has 42 laws.
- Ma’at refers to the ancient Egyptian concepts of fundamental orders of the universe which have 42 ideals.
- In China, the floor of the tall buildings is named by skipping the numbers having the four such as 24, 42, 44, etc as the number four symbolizes death in their culture. (See How many People have Died on The Stratosphere?)
So, the reference to 42 goes on and on. The significance of 42 was kindled by Douglas Adams and despite his confession that it was meant to be a joke, his fans are still trying to decipher the question, what does 42 mean? Apart from these hyperactive fans, the repeated occurrence of the number 42 made people believe that it is more than just a coincidence. (See Dead as a Doornail or Doorknob Meaning)