Inventions after inventions led to the growth of the human race. People got over their orthodox belief system and blind faith in myths and superstitions with the advent of knowledge. Revolutionaries, visionaries, scientists, and inventors showed the right path towards education. Mathematicians are among those who explained numbers, odd & even numbers as well as prime and composite numbers. Today, you will get to know what do you mean by prime number and the greatest 2 digit prime number.
1. Who Invented Numbers?
- The first-ever numbers to be used by humans were invented by the Egyptians. They discovered the first ciphered number system.
- After that, the Greeks used their method and counted it in their Ionian and Doric alphabets.
According to the resources discovered, researchers mentioned that numbers and counting began during the civilization of Sumeria, somewhere around 4000 BC. (See 9 Facts About Egyptian Swastika)
2. Who is the Father of Mathematics?
Mathematics is among the oldest invented fields of study in human history. Archimedes was a famous mathematician and inventor of ancient Greek. He has done notable work in the field of Mathematics. One of his prominent works was the discovery of the relation between the surface and volume of the sphere and its circumscribing cylinder. (See Who is the Father of Mathematics?)
3. When did Prime Numbers come into Existence?
Prime numbers have been a subject of study for thousands of years. It was proved by the discovery of Elements published in 300 BC, written by Euclid, the most prominent mathematician of Greek-Roman antiquity. In book number IX of the Elements, he mentioned that there are infinite prime numbers. Through the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, Euclid has provided us with the proof that every integer can be written in a unique way as a product of primes.
For better understanding, what do you mean by prime number in 200 BC, Eratosthenes, a Greek scientific writer, poet, and astronomer, created an algorithm known as Sieve of Eratosthenes. This algorithm is one of the earliest known written algorithms that can calculate prime numbers. (See How Many Number of Days in a Month?)
4. What are Prime Numbers?
A prime number is a number, integer, or whole number, which when divided by itself and 1, leaves no remainder. A prime number has only two factors, one is itself, and the other is 1. Prime numbers are known as the genes of the integers. Likewise, any other number having many factors cannot be called a prime number. (See Prime and Composite numbers)
- For example, 2 is a prime number because it can only be divided by itself and 1.
- Whereas, 8 is not a prime number because it can be divided by 1, 2, 4, and 8.
5. What is the Greatest 2 digit Prime Number?
We all know the largest 2-digit number is 99, and it is divisible by 1, 3, 9, 11, and itself (99). Therefore, we will move towards its predecessor and look for another 2-digit number which is 97. What do you mean by prime number is the one that is not divisible by any other number except for 1 and itself. Therefore, 97 is the largest 2-digit prime number. (See Meaning of 40)
6. Which is the Largest Prime Number?
University of Missouri has set up a huge network of volunteer computers for finding prime numbers. Mathematician Curtis Cooper from the same University discovered the largest prime number up till now in which 2 is raised to the 57885161st power minus 1 or 257,885,161 −1. It is almost 17,425,170 digits long.
7. How many Prime Numbers are there from 1 to 100?
To make things easy for you, we will mention all the prime numbers between 1 and 100. 25 such numbers are:
- Single-digit prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, and 7.
- Double digits prime numbers are 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31, 37, 41, 43, 47, 53, 59, 61, 67, 71, 73, 79, 83, 89, and 97.
8. How are Prime Numbers and Encryption Inter-related?
Prime numbers can also be used for encoding & decoding messages, and encryption of data. In 1978, this idea lighted the minds of three researchers. They decided to develop a method to encrypt and secure online transactions. This innovation can help you understand a prime number. It led to internet security by placing these prime numbers at the core and beginning of electronic commerce. (See How Calculator Works?)
Those three researchers, Ron Rivest, Adi Shamir, and Leonard Adleman, explained their algorithm in public. This gave birth to the oldest known public-key cryptosystem, RSA encryption. This system provides safer and secure data transmission over the internet across the globe. The initials of their surnames are the name of their algorithm. This system helped in building confidence in modern banking and commercial systems. If two primes are 2,048 bits long, they are regarded safe because their products will be 1234, respectively. (See Vending Machine Deaths)
9. How are Prime Numbers found in Nature?
Animals and plants may not be mathematicians. But, it is believed that they are also aware of prime numbers. There are a few instances where researchers found out that particular events took place according to the prime numbers.
- Cicadas are known to spend most of their time in hiding, but they appear to mate every 13th or 17th year of their life. However, they have been following the same pattern for years. According to the theories presented by scientists, cicadas choose the odd years for appearing to mate so that they can avoid predators at large.
- What do you mean by prime number in nature is clear from the research, predators feeding on cicadas mate during the 2, 4, 6, and 8 years. If cicadas also mate during those years, then their predators will get a golden chance to feed on lots of cicadas. (See Argentine Lake Duck Overview)
10. How are Prime Numbers Useful in Other Fields?
You have been unintentionally using these prime numbers in your day-to-day life. Prime numbers are essential for various functions carried on by modern technology.
- Prime numbers are the fundamental units of multiplication, and mathematicians have been interested in them.
- Modern screens in computers and televisions use them for defining the color intensities of different pixels.
- Manufacturers use them to get rid of harmonics.
- In architecture, prime numbers help avoid patterns and to arrive at real random series. The acoustic design also uses them.
- They are used in designing gears.
- By multiplying two prime numbers together, encryption codes are easily created.
- In abstract algebra, objects behaving in the same way as prime numbers often include prime ideals and prime numbers.
- And overall, they make the modern online security system. It enables safer transactions over electronic commerce websites and banks.
11. What do you mean by Prime Number Day?
No, it is not a day observed to celebrate the prime numbers. A prime number day means a day that becomes a prime number when written or expressed as year-month-day (yyyy-mm-dd). For example, if you write 2022-12-31, its sum will be 13, and it is a prime number because it is divisible by itself and 1. The prime days in the year 2022 are:
- 3rd, 19th, 21st, and 27th January
- 17th February
- 7th, 11th, 23rd, and 31st March
- 7th April
- 17th May
- 1st and 19th June
- 13th July
- 17th and 21st August
- 1st and 23rd September
- 9th and 27th October
- 27th November
- 13th and 31st December
What do you mean by prime number is quite clear, along with the greatest 2 digit prime number. It is now easier for you to explain prime number to your friends, family or children. (See Why Lucky Number 9 is Auspicious?)