Humans are blessed to have such eyesight that they can see different colors and their varying intensities. Playing with colors is not just the love of an artist, you as a kid must have played and colored lots of things. Do you remember when you ran out of crayons, and you needed black crayons, how did you make it? If your favorite color is black, can you expain how to make black? Or what colors make black? If not, let’s find out!
1. What are the different Types of Colors?
The types are primary colors, secondary colors, and tertiary colors.
- Primary colors are obtained when mixed in different proportions. The three primary colors are red, blue, and yellow from which we get the secondary colors.
- The secondary colors are derived from the primary colors and they are orange, green, and violet.
- The 6 tertiary colors are Red-Orange, Yellow-orange, Yellow-green, Blue-green, Blue-violet, and Red-violet, formed by mixing the secondary colors with the primary colors. Out of 12 colors, the color wheel has the maximum number of tertiary colors. (See What are the top 10 favorite colors?)
2. What is the use of these Colors?
You get lots of different shades and colors by mixing these primary colors. The pattern of red, green, and blue (RGB) is used to generate colors on a television, computer screen, and other electronic devices.
3. Is it the same when you mix Painting Colors?
You can achieve the lighter or darker version of these colors when you mix these primary colors with some other paint colors. For example, when you mix white with the primary colors you will get the following result.
- White + Red = Magenta.
- White + Green = Yellow.
- White + Blue = Cyan. Also, check out what color does Red and Purple Make?
4. What Colors make Black?
Every color is generated from the primary colors of light, that is, red, green, and blue (RGB). To obtain the black color you need to mix the primary colors, and you will get the black you desire. However, the black color intensifies with every shade you add further. (See What is a Theme in Art?)
5. Is Black a different Color?
According to the artists, black is not considered a color and it is not present in the visible spectrum. Just like the colors of a rainbow are reflected as per their wavelength and hence our eyes can see them. Similarly, different colors are visible as per their wavelength that is bounced back into your eyes, and others like shades of black, are absorbed by the surfaces. To know more about it, read the article, Is black or white really a color?
6. Why is Black not a Color?
According to science, black does not have any wavelength of its own, therefore it is not a result of any reflection, refraction, or absorption of light. Actually, it is the result of a complete absence of light. (See The Art of Teaching Art)
7. What happens to the Light falling on a Black Surface?
When you look at a black surface it appears black because no light is being reflected back into your eyes. It happens because no ray of light is bouncing from the black surface. All the light that falls on the black surfaces is completely absorbed by it. Must read why does Black absorb more Heat?
8. Can you make Black with Printing Primates?
The term printing primates are the primary color used by a printer. These colors make the best black that is almost pure when combined. If you don’t know what colors make black, the following are the printing primates,
- Quinacridone Magenta
- Hansa Yellow.
- Phthalo Blue.
Hansa yellow will add a warm and bright shade, Phthalo will add a cooler touch, and Quinacridone Magenta will be the vibrant touch to your black. Also, check out which color is obtained by mixing red and yellow colors?
9. How to make Black?
The process means the most when you are mixing colors to make black. Note that all three colors should be in equal ratios.
- Begin with mixing magenta and blue. It will give you a vibrant and warm purple shade.
- Add yellow slowly to it, and it will cancel out the purple shade leaving behind the black you desire. Must read what colors do Mixing Pink and Blue make?
10. Can you make Black with other Primary Colors?
While discussing what colors make black, note that the primary shades are less vibrant than the printing primates. You can achieve a browner shade of black by mixing the following primary colors. The following colors are slightly darker than the printing primates.
- Alizarin Crimson
- Ultramarine Blue
- Yellow Ochre
Begin by making purple by combining the shades of blue and red. It will be the darker version of purple that you achieved earlier. Add yellow and your black color with hints of brown is ready. You can use this shade to add dimensions and shadows to your painting. (See What Orders do the Rasta Colors Go In?)
11. Can you make Black with a Blue Base?
Want to know more about what colors make black? Blue is one of the primary colors which produces a deep and cool shade of black. The shade of black you get depends on the shade of blue you use. Here I have mentioned the two shades of black achieved with a blue base.
- Ultramarine blue with Burnt Umber
- Phthalo Blue with Cadmium Orange. (See What color is camouflage?)
12. What type of Black can be made with the Blue Base?
With Ultramarine blue and Burnt Umber mixed in equal ratios, you will get a dark and cool black shade. This shade can be used for painting a dark night sky or ocean depths. (See Why the Sky Colour is Blue?)
With the Phthalo Blue and Cadmium Orange, you will get a gray version of black. These two colors will give you a lighter version of black without using white. Although, you can alter the ratios to change the intensity of black you want to achieve.
13. How to make Black with a Green-Base?
To get the darker black shade with a green base, you can use the Phthalo Green because it is a dark shade of green with a cool and rich touch. You can try the following three methods and use one purple, and two reds with Phthalo Green to achieve different black shades. (See What does Orange and Green make?)
- Dioxazine Purple
- Alizarin Crimson
- Quinacridone Red
14. How to make Black from the above combinations?
Yet another trick in what colors make black.
- Mix the purple and green in equal ratios to get the black. If you see a more greenish-black then you need to add a little more purple to balance it out.
- Mix the Alizarin Crimson with the green to achieve the darker black. It will have a hint of brown but in a dark way.
- Mix the Quinacridone Red with green, and you will get the transparent black as the final result. You can adjust the ratios to make it dark or light. (See Which colors go with burgundy?)
15. How to Adjust the Temperature of Black?
Different colors will give you different temperatures of black with a temperature tint in it. Some will give you cooler black while others will form a warm shade of black.
- To make your black warm use Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Orange, and Quinacridone Red.
- To get a cooler black use Dioxazine Purple, Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, and Ultramarine Blue. (See Why are bright colors eye-catching?)
16. How to use Black Color?
The title of being a color may have been taken away from black, but it is essential for any painting or illustration. There are various ways to use black color in your work.
- To add dimension to your work.
- It can be used as a background color. (See What are Coloured Glass Blocks?)
- You can use it to convey a particular meaning.
- It can be a mood changer or expresser.
- It also adds a touch of mourning, sophistication, and mystery to your work. Also, check out why do we wear black to funerals?
I guess you finally got to know what colors make black? Share this article with your artist friends and family to help them understand how to make black. (Also read What is Food Art?)