The presence of life on earth can be noticed in living and nonliving things. The creatures around you are components of the living things in the world. Things that do not have life are termed nonliving things. Examples of living things include fellow human beings and also microorganisms on earth. Most of the manufactured materials are categorized under the examples of nonliving things.
1. What are Living Things and Non-Living Things?
You are aware of the fact that you are alive. A chronic mechanism works behind the working of your body and mind. The different organs in an organism are alive to make the creature alive. These creatures who are made up of cells, tissues, and organs form the group of living things. These are things that survive through air, food, water, and shelter. (See How many Types of Cells are There in The Human Body?)
The table in your room is unable to breathe, eat or even drink water. It is not made up of living cells. This is a thing that constitutes nonliving nature. A nonliving thing is not an organism but can be an important part of the living world.
2. What are Characteristics of Living Things?
It is important to note the characteristics of living things to understand the examples of living things.
- Growth: The ability to grow and mature is the primary nature of living things. Almost every living thing undergoes different stages of growth to change and mature.
- Respiration: The oxygen that you breathe is the life-changing element in your life. Human beings and other living organisms have the capacity for respiration. This process involves the conversion of the food particles into energy in the cells. Must read how many heartbeats in a day of humans?
- Reproduction: Living beings can reproduce their life. The asexual and sexual reproduction in living things leads to the development of progeny. This leads to the creation of the next generation. Also, check out what are the advantages and disadvantages of Sexual Reproduction?
- Nutrition: To survive, the living things need to gain nutrition. The nutrients are available through the food you eat. It provides energy to the body and mind.
- Sensitivity: The ability to sense things and understand the changes in the world is a gift of living organisms. They have the sense organs or inbuilt mechanisms to detect harmful things around them. In human beings, the five senses including the eyes, ears, tongue, nose along with skin are significant organs.
- Excretion: The intake of food allows you to digest them and the remains of the food need to be removed from the body. This process is named excretion. The residual and harmful elements in the body are excreted out of the body through different organs in various examples of living things.
3. How many types of Living Things are there on Earth?
The types of living things on the earth are varied and add to millions. According to the estimation made by scientists, there are about 8.7 million living things on earth. This includes animals, plants, and microorganisms from the smallest to the largest on earth. Must read what is the biggest thing on Earth?
4. What are Characteristics of Nonliving Things?
The major characteristics of nonliving things can be described as follows.
- Resistance to growth: Non-living things cannot grow as they lack cells and tissues. The growth hormones and other factors are not present in the world.
- Incapable of respiration: The rock in the atmosphere never breathes or respires. It is because they do not need to breathe as there are no elements of living cells in them.
- Static in nature: Nonliving things are static and stationary. They cannot move unless some environmental factor forces them and changes their position.
- Unable to sense things: The property to sense and detect the harmful objects in this world is not meant for nonliving things. Instead, they are used as aids for sensing things by human beings.
- Absence of biological processes: The biology of a nonliving thing points out that there is no nutrition, digestion, and excretion in them. The only sustenance lies in the living organisms. These nonliving things act as supplements in the life of living things. These things cannot die as there is no life in them. They can be used or destroyed by living things. (See 20 Best Mobile Home Manufacturers in US)
5. Is Egg a Living Thing or a Non-Living Thing?
You consume eggs for protein and energy. The egg is a shelter for a living organism. The presence of a living cell inside the eggs makes them living things. The structure of an egg doesn’t move or respire on its own. But the presence of a cell denotes that there is a possibility of growth in an egg. Once the egg is given the required conditions to grow, it will give birth to a living thing. (See What are Few Examples of Producers Consumers and Decomposers?)
6. List 20 Examples of Living Things
There are many examples of living things. 20 examples of living things can be
- Human beings,
- Grasshopper, and
- Butterfly. Check out the list of names for groups of animals.
7. List 20 Examples of Non Living Things
There are many examples of nonliving things on earth. The 20 examples of nonliving things are
- Mobile phone,
- Toys, and
- Chessboard. (See What does Fool’s Gold look like?)
The earth is composed of both living and non-living things. Both are equally important and interconnected in many ways. For example, you cannot live without food, water, or your smartphone these days. Examples of living things and examples of nonliving things are always unnoticed due to their omnipresence. Today, turn back to your window and count the examples of living things and the examples of nonliving things and pay gratitude to them in your mind. (Also read How long is 8 inches Compared to an Object?)