There are diverse species of animals, and so are their diets. Like some animals feed on flesh, and some only eat greens. Few of them feed on the dead decaying matter, and others feed on the nectar. However, monkeys and bananas have become synonymous with each other throughout the ages, and you all know monkeys love bananas. But sometimes, you might wonder what animal eats bananas other than monkeys. And what fruits do monkeys eat other than bananas?
1. Why are Bananas considered Healthy?
Bananas are a rich source of potassium that helps maintain healthy kidney and heart functions as it regulates blood pressure. Bananas are also rich in carbohydrates which means they have lots of complex sugar content, which keeps the stomach full and provides energy. Now, what animal eats bananas? Let’s read about it in the next segment. (Also read 20 Amazing Health Benefits of Bananas)
2. What Animal eats Bananas?
Knowing the nutritional values of bananas, humans incorporate them into meals while animals enjoy these fruits because of the taste. Beginning with the friendliest mammal, you will read about all animals eating bananas.
- Elephants feed mostly on shrubs, bamboos, twigs, and other fruits, but they enjoy eating bananas also. But not all elephants eat bananas with peel, they peel off the skin of the banana themselves and then enjoy the fruit. Elephants can even knock down a tree, to enjoy their favorite foliage, fruits, and other plant parts.
- Gorillas’ ( or monkeys’) diet includes lots of fruits, branches, vegetables, and bananas. However, monkeys do not eat the extensive amount of bananas that you see in movies. A group of mammals consisting of gorillas, monkeys, apes, and lemurs loves bananas along with other fruits.
- Deer also eat bananas. They are herbivores, and their diet includes fruits, vegetables, branches, grass, and other greeneries. Deer love bananas because they are soft and tasty. They do not have upper incisors, so they have difficulty chewing some hard food items. Bananas are soft to chew and nutritious for them. But over-feeding them will cause digestive problems too. Also, check out what is a Herd of Moose called?
- Raccoons are omnivores and enjoy both fruits and meat. Mostly raccoons peel bananas to eat, but sometimes they eat with the peel to take up the nutrients present in the banana peels. However, the banana peel is not good for them because of the high quantities of cellulose. If they continue to eat banana peels, they may suffer from stomach and digestive problems. (Also read Do Anteaters Eat Ants?)
- Rats can eat almost everything so, eating a banana would not be an exception. If you have a pet mouse then, try feeding them only the inner fruit and not the peel because it will give them an upset stomach. It is better to crush the fruit in a grinder to feed them.
- Chipmunks and Squirrels are small squirrel-like rodents and are omnivores too. Their diet includes lots of different food items and, bananas are highly nutritious for them. But overfeeding bananas to chipmunks will make them obese.
- Rabbits can eat bananas but should not be fed more than a slice per day. High sugar content in bananas affects their digestive systems, and prolonged eating may result in life-threatening problems.
- Other animals that eat bananas are rhinoceros, possums, bandicoot, gibbon, red-footed tortoises, skunks, cows, baboons, sugar gliders, and a crested gecko. You can check out what do possums eat.
3. Do Birds eat Bananas?
Bananas are healthy for birds because they are a rich source of vitamins (A and B), iron, potassium, and magnesium. Even though these are healthy sources for birds, you will not see many birds eating them. Your pet bird may also not eat bananas like other animals. But you can feed them some small amounts in the mashed form once or twice a week. (See What meanings and symbolism do birds have?)
Specialists advise not to feed them bananas regularly because it will make them dependent on humans for their survival needs. Banana peels are equally harmful to birds as they are to other animals. A common bird is the geese who enjoy eating bananas the most. A large variety of birds enjoy fruits, and the ones enjoying bananas are
- Macaws, fruit bats, robins,
- Willow warblers, jackdaws, whitethroats,
- Starlings, blackbirds, pied flycatchers, crows, and stonechats. Also, check out can parrots really talk?
5. What Fruits do Monkeys Eat?
Monkeys are primates basically, omnivores, and enjoy eating a variety of food items. Monkeys cannot synthesize Vitamin C, so they derive it from different food sources. There are species of monkeys who are frugivores, insectivores, and omnivores. Tarsier is the only primate that is a carnivore. (Also read What is the Difference between Apes and Monkeys?)
Wild monkeys do not eat bananas all the time, as you see in cartoons and movies. Katharine Milton, an expert on primates’ diets, mentioned that the entire wild monkey-banana connection is, totally fabricated. Other than what animal eats bananas, Milton further mentioned that monkeys prefer eating nuts and other fruits like grapes, pomegranates, apples, etc. They also eat leaves, insects, and flowers in the wild. But the high sugar content of these fruits can lead to diabetes in monkeys and could even harm their teeth.
According to a study conducted in 1936, monkeys were offered various fruits, vegetables, nuts, and bread. The motive of the study was to see which food item will monkey select the most. So grapes were the winner and bananas scored the second position while bread stood last. Must read how to grow a purple leaf plum tree?
6. Do Monkeys love Bananas?
As you know the answer to what animal eats bananas and the birds, you should know they bananas are loved by many and monkeys are one of them. They love bananas because bananas tend to grow in the tropical and hot places where you can see usually monkeys. Capuchin monkeys can eat plants, insects, and other small animals. Howler and Colobus monkeys are leaf eaters and have long digestive tracts. It helps them in the easy digestion of complex leaf nutrients. They have multi-chambered stomachs for the fermentation of plant matter. The Gelada is a species that is completely herbivore. They primarily eat grass and prefer other fruits and vegetables too.
Bananas are one of the convenient sources of food that happens to have great taste and at the same time provide a lot of nutrients. The fiber in bananas helps monkeys stay active for a long time as it helps in maintaining a healthy digestive system. (Also read How many Seeds does a Strawberry have?)
6. What do Urban Monkeys Eat?
Other than what animal eats bananas, some species of monkeys have made themselves adapted to city life. But this life is not very pleasing and healthy for them because of the unavailability of food. Monkeys living in cities eat every possible thing they get from humans, garbage, and other places. Their diet is rich in sugar, fats, carbohydrates, and other harmful compounds. (See What is the Scientific Name for Pig?)
7. Which Food is Poisonous for Animals?
Devil trumpet, angels trumpet, and their sub-species plants and their parts are all poisonous to animals. Organophosphate, Organochlorine-DDT, and other pesticides are toxic to animals and they can get infected if they consumed those harmful substances. These things can also affect the fertility of animals. (See What are Egg Roll Wrappers made of?)
So, today you got to know about what animal eats bananas and the fact that monkeys love bananas. You also discovered what fruits do monkeys eat other than bananas. (Also read Why Are Dogs Not Supposed To Have Chocolate?)