Wearing glasses is fashion for some people, while for others it is a way there are being bullied. Either way, glasses are needed for weak eyesight. You wore your grandparents’ glasses when you were kids for fun, but do you need one now? Since we are on the topic, let me tell you about the test to see if you need glasses and the online eye test to see if you need glasses. Also, to get a clear idea about this, we will discuss the quiz to see if you need glasses.
1. Description of Weak Eyesight
This is a situation when you face problems while doing the usual things like reading, writing, driving, watching television, or working on your laptop. For example, while reading, you find words blurry but when you bring the book close or far, it seems better. Though it may not be the only sign that you have weak eyesight, it may be due to strained eyes also. (See When and How do Body Systems Work together?)
2. Types of Eye or Vision Problems
According to the National Eye Institute (NEI), astigmatism, farsightedness, nearsightedness, and presbyopia are the most common vision problems among people that can be corrected with glasses to some extent. The list is given below.
- Astigmatism is a condition when the cornea is irregularly shaped and light is not evenly distributed inside the retina.
- Farsightedness is when you can see far-off objects clearly but objects near you are not very clear or blurry. This condition is also termed hyperopia.
- Nearsightedness means when nearby things are visible but far off things are hazy or blurry. This condition is also termed myopia.
- Presbyopia happens with aging when people cross the age of 35. This happens because of the reduced flexibility of your eyes with age. Also, check out why do we have Eyebrows and Eyelashes?)
- Strabismus or Crossed eye is a situation when the eyes are not aligned correctly. There are different types, hypotropia (eyes turning down), hypertropia (eyes turning upwards), exotropia (eye/eyes turning outwards), and esotropia (eye/eyes turning inwards).
- Amblyopia or lazy eye is a situation that occurs when the brain ignores vision signals and there is no coordination between the brain and eyes. This leads to impaired development of vision, which can lead to vision loss if not treated timely. (See Is Virtual Reality Bad for Your Eyes?)
3. Symptoms before Testing to see if you need Glasses
Ignore others’ advice and if you face one or more of the following symptoms, it is time to visit an ophthalmologist.
- You constantly have blurred vision. Unable to drive at night or on dark roads.
- You squint (partly close one or both eyes in an attempt to see clearly) more often.
- You have headaches when trying to focus on something far or near.
- Take more time than others to adjust between light, low-light, and dark.
- Things seem double or more than that.
- You see halos around lights, headlights, or any bright thing.
- You have a family history of eye or vision problems.
- You have a wavy vision, like windows or other things appear like they are underwater. (See Personality & characteristics of people with brown eyes)
4. Online Eye Test to see if you need Glasses
Nowadays, you get the advantage of checking your eyesight from the comfort of your home by following these steps. You will need a desktop or laptop and a measuring tape to measure the adequate distance, as mentioned below.
- Measure the distance by considering the size of your laptop or desktop. There should be a distance of; 2 feet (60.96 cm) for a 13 inches screen; 3 feet (91.33 cm) for a 15 inches screen; 5 feet (153.4 cm) for a 17 inches screen and 7 feet (213.36 cm) for a 20 inches screen.
- While taking the test to see if you need glasses, place your device on a flat surface at the required distance after measuring.
- Cover your left eye with an eye patch or hand. Or simply close it and read the alphabet from top to bottom.
- Repeat the same by closing the right eye. Must read what is Biomedical Engineering?
If you are unable to read the alphabet clearly and correctly, it is an indication that you need glasses to correct your vision. (See Busted! Evaporation Line Myths on a Pregnancy Test)
5. Requirement for Online Eye Test
Taking an eye test online checks the following basic issues.
- If you have blurry vision or not.
- The level of light sensitivity of your eyes.
- And the level of sharpness of your vision. (See How Does A Magnifying Glass Work?)
6. Reliability of Online Eye Test
It may be an easy option to self-check and clear your doubts regarding your vision. But it is always best to visit a specialist for medical problems. You can try an online test and then pay a visit to your ophthalmologist as soon as possible. (See How Does an X ray Machine Work?)
7. Quiz to See if you need Glasses.
Now, ask yourself the following questions and conclude whether you need glasses.
- Are headaches common while reading or watching?
- Are you able to read small fonts in low light?
- Do you spend several hours in front of a screen, laptop, mobile, television, etc?
- Do you find it hard to focus because you cannot see things?
- Before taking the test to see if you need glasses, ask yourself do your eyes often hurt?
- Do you experience a sudden double vision while reading or driving?
- Are your eyes always itchy and watery?
- Do you skip lines, words, or sentences while reading?
- Is driving at night a problem for you? Also, check out how do I Sound When I record Myself?
8. Types of Lenses for your Vision Problems
There are different glasses for different vision problems that can suit your needs.
- Bifocals have two powers, the upper region helps you see distant objects clearly, and the lower portion helps in making near objects clear.
- Trifocals have three sections, the upper and lower are the same as bifocals and the center portion helps you see the intermediate vision more clearly.
- A single vision lens is not divided into sections and is useful if you have a single number.
- The progressive lens is the enhanced version of bifocals and trifocals without any lines or visible division on them. They serve the same purpose as them. (See What are Examples of Screw as a Simple Machine?)
- Reading glasses are for you if you have weak vision only while reading or working on computers or phones. (See How Long do Ear Piercings hurt?)
So, now you know about the test to see if you need glasses. Also, go for the online eye test to see if you need glasses. It is time to share this quiz to see if you need glasses with your friends and family members to help them with their vision problems. Must read what are examples of elements in everyday life?