Kids are adored by everyone and everywhere they go. You have to agree that whenever an infant held your finger, you were mesmerized and considered yourself to be the luckiest. But kids are not always like those you see in movies and storybooks because sometimes you have to deal with a whiny child. Today, you will uncover how to stop kids from whining without spoiling them.
1. Define Whining
Whining is a sound similar to crying but not actually crying. It can be a high-pitched plaintive or distressed cry. It is the sound people make when they want or don’t like something and they complain about that without using words. It can be unpleasant to bear, and sometimes a whining kid sounds like screeching of chalk on a blackboard. Whining behavior also includes pleading, begging, and continuously asking for something. (Also read PhD Vs PsyD in Psychology)
2. What are the Reasons behind Whining?
- Some kids whine because they feel exhausted and want you to help them. It is their way of telling you that they are still babies and need you. Kids need your immediate attention towards their needs and requirements.
- Infants and toddlers whine the most because they do not have a developed vocabulary to describe their feelings and what they want.
- Babies whining maybe because their diaper is dirty, they are uncomfortable, have stomach problems, are hungry, stressed, tired, or sleepy, etc. (See How to Deal With Family Members Who Put You Down?)
3. How to Stop Kids from Whining?
You will always know how your whiny child reacts and as elders, you should find solutions to stop this behavior. Some of them are listed below:
A. Don’t Get Bothered
- Kids are sharp observers because this is the way their mind understands and develops. If your kid is continuously whining for every little thing, then they for sure have noticed you are getting irritated, but do not let your irritation out.
- Do not show them that their whining is bothering you. It is not an easy task, but make them realize that their nature is not going to work.
- Tell or teach them to say things peacefully or through some sign or gestures. Make them realize that whining is hard to understand.
- Learn to ignore but do not neglect it. (See Psychology of Ignoring Someone)
B. Let them Hear Themselves
Yes, it is not always easy to make a whiny child aware and understand the difference between whining and talking politely. You may think that they know what they are doing, but they can’t hear themselves. Also, in reality, they do not even know what whining means. You will have to teach them, and you can do so by recording their voices when they are talking politely and when they are whining. Choose a time to sit with them and play their recorded voices to them to help them understand the difference. (See What is the Difference Between Hearing and Listening?)
C. Praise but Don’t Overdo
Everyone loves praising, and it does wonders for people in improving their morale and performances. You are so busy telling them what they are doing wrong that you forget to acknowledge their good acts. Change your habit if you want to change the habits of your kids. Praise them when they ask for things politely or through gestures instead of whining, and see how impactful it gets. (See Am I Passive Aggressive?)
D. Stop Complaining and Don’t Give Up
- Bringing up kids is a tiresome task. But you brought them into this world, and it is your responsibility to keep trying until your whiny child turns into a happy child. Parents are a child’s first teacher and idol, so you have to be one for them.
- There will be situations where you were trying for days and then weeks without any response, but that does not mean you can give up. It is your job to shape their habits and behaviors while they are young. Understand that this is necessary for them to be a better person in the future. (See How to Heal Yourself Emotionally?)
E. Communicate with Them
As an adult, you know that anything can be solved with good communication. Similarly, inbuild this habit in your kids too. Make them understand that if they communicate peacefully, the chances of getting what they want are higher rather than through whining. You also should realize that shouting, banging, getting irritated, mumbling, etc., will not help you both. (See How to Ask Someone to Do Something for You)
F. Be Attentive towards Them after Whining Stops
Be focused on your whiny child but approach them when they have stopped whining. Appreciate their calm behavior at that moment and encourage them to behave calmly. They are kids and should be taught patiently and consistently. Your attention is necessary, but showing your attentiveness to them is not required all the time. So after whining stops, do not cut them off and try to make them understand that whining will not do any good and there are other options too.
4. How to Make their Childhood Fun?
Childhood is a phase of enjoyment with freedom of worldly worries. It is the period when mental capability, habits, behavior, problem-solving skills, etc., develop. Never put the learning and teaching part on the shoulders of teachers alone because they are your kids, and no one can shape them better than you. (See 10 Golden Rules of Life)
Many times, kids whine when you stop them from going outside or watching television, or you refuse to get their favorite action figure from the supermarket. Then you can arrange something interesting at home and also invite their friends over for lunch to make their afternoon exciting and fun. So try to know your whiny child and his needs and accordingly manage to give him a happy atmosphere. (See 12 Little Known Reasons and Benefits of Smiling)