With the opening of sea routes, sailors and adventurers found new ways to reach different parts of the world that were inaccessible by roads. After the invention of boats, they were continuously upgraded and evolved. They are as large as a ship and as small as a one-seater boat. You must have seen a mini speed boat on your visit to a beach. Today along with the mini speed boat you will get to know about boat speed, small jet boats, and the fastest boat in the world.
It is a type of watercraft that is available in various sizes and types. This water vessel is propelled by sails, oars, or an engine. (See What is a Steamboat?)
2. Types of Boats
There are 20 different types of boats in the world, namely, bass boat, bay boat, bow rider, catamaran, Center Console Boat, Convertible Fishing Boat, cuddy, deck boat, dingy, dual console boat, ferry, houseboat, inflatable boats, lifeboat, pontoon, sailboat, trawler, tug, utility boat, and yacht. Must read what is the most popular muscle car?
3. Speed Boat
A boat that is powered by an engine (fuel or electric) is known as a speed boat, motorboat, or power boat. Engines in a motorboat are either fitted inboard or outboard while others have an outboard motor that is installed in the back of the boat. The speed of a motorboat is between 100 mph (160.93 km/h) to 350 mph (563.27 km/h). (See How does a Water Wheel work?)
4. Mini Speed Boat
Mini speed boat is the smaller version of a speed boat with a limited seating capacity. It can be 1 seater to 6 seats max. They are available in different shapes and sizes. These boats are mainly used by people rowing, fishermen, life-saving guards, etc. (See Why Do Ships Float?)
5. Small Jet Boats
Besides a mini speed boat, a boat that is propelled by a strong jet of water and ejected from the back of the boat is known as a jet boat. The water is taken inside and then into a pump jet inside the boat, and then it is forced out through a nozzle at the stern (back of a ship or boat). Small jet boats are the smaller versions of jet boats. (See How Do Roller Coasters Work?)
6. Boat Speed
The speed of the mini speed boat depends on factors like its size, engine power (horsepower), type of boat, its design, and overall weight of the boat. The speed of a boat is measured in knots which is equal to 1 nautical mile (the unit used to measure the distance traveled through the water). Take a look at the list of various types of boats and their average and maximum speed.
- Yatch: Average speed 17 mph (27.36 km/h) 15 knots and maximum speed 66 mph (106.21 km/h).
- Center Console Boat: Average speed 34 mph (54.71 km/h) 30 knots and maximum speed 64 mph (102.99 km/h) 56 knots, which is more than a mini speed boat.
- Cuddy Cabin Boats: Average speed 20 mph (32.18 km/h) 18 knots and maximum speed 50 mph (80.46 km/h) 43 knots.
- Deck Boats: Average speed 34 mph (54.71 km/h) 30 knots and maximum speed 57 mph (91.73 km/h) 50 knots.
- Dingy (Dinghies): Average speed 7 mph (11.26 km/h) 06 knots and maximum speed 28 mph (45.06 km/h) 25 knots.
- Ferry Boats: Average speed 20 mph (32.18 km/h) 17 knots and maximum speed 32 mph (51.49 km/h) 28 knots.
- Game Boats: Average speed 14 mph (22.53 km/h) 12 knots and maximum speed 28 mph (45.06 km/h) 25 knots.
- Houseboat: Average speed 5 mph (8.04 km/h) 04 knots and maximum speed 12 mph (19.31 km/h) 10 knots.
- Life Boats: Average speed 7 mph (11.26 km/h) 06 knots and maximum speed 34 mph (54.71 km/h) 30 knots.
- Pontoon Boats: Average speed 22 mph (35.40 km/h) 19 knots and maximum speed 41 mph (65.98 km/h) 36 knots.
- Runabout Boats: Average speed 28 mph (45.06 km/h) 25 knots and maximum speed 60 mph (36.56 km/h) 52 knots.
- Ski Boats: Average speed 18 mph (28.96 km/h) 16 knots and maximum speed 36 mph (57.93 km/h) 31 knots.
- Trawler (Fishing Boat): Average speed 10 mph (16.09 km/h) 09 knots and maximum speed 23 mph (37.01 km/h) 20 knots.
- Tug Boats: Average speed 15 mph (24.14 km/h) 13 knots and maximum speed 21 mph (33.79 km/h) 19 knots, which is a bit the same as that of a mini speed boat. (See What is a Gondola ride?)
7. Fastest Boat in the World
Different types of boats have different functionality and propelling styles. Here I have mentioned the top fastest boats in the world in 2022, arranged from slow to fast.
- Outerlimits sv-52 – max speed 100 mph (160.93 km/h)
- South bay 925cr – max speed 114 mph (183.46 km/h)
- Fountain 47 lightning – max speed 115 mph (185.07 km/h)
- Cigarette racing team 50 AMG GTS – max speed 135 mph (217.26 km/h)
- Nor-tech 5200 roadster – max speed 150 mph (241.40 km/h)
- Skater 46 pleasure – max speed 175 mph (281.63 km/h)
- Mystic powerboats c5000 turbine – max speed 250 mph (402.33 km/h)
- Problem child – max speed 262 mph (421.64 km/h)
- Bluebird k7 – max speed 276 mph (444.17 km/h)
- Spirit of Australia – max speed 317 mph (510.16 km/h) (See 13 Different Types of Compasses)
8. World record for the Fastest Boat
The Guinness Book of Records for the fastest boat is held by Ken Warby, Australia and his boat scored 275.97 knots at 317.58 mph (511.09 km/h). But a boat can go fast; in fact, the fastest boat record is 275.97 knots or 510 km/hr. (Also read What is the Total Cost to Summit Mt Everest?)
So, today you got to know about mini speed boat, small jet boats, boat speed, and fastest boat in the world. Try to share it with a friend who loves the design of a mini speed boat and plan a boating trip. (See Why Climbing Everest Is Dangerous?)