The cities we live in are not mere land. Each land, village, and town holds thousands of stories, memories, and knowledge that we, humans would turn a blind eye to. The older the city, the more things the city has to offer and say to us. Do you know what is the oldest city in the US? St. Augustine, Florida oldest city in the US. Here you will learn about St Augustine oldest city in the US and the stories it has to offer as you continue reading the article.
1. What is the Location of St. Augustine?
St. Augustine oldest city in the US, is located on the flourishing Atlantic coast of St. Johns county, in the northeast part of Florida or south of Jacksonville. The city is located in such a way that you can visit St. Augustine while visiting other popular cities like Orlando, Cape Canaveral, etc in Florida also. Not only that, if Disneyland is on your touring list, fret not! St Augustine is just a 2-hour drive from Disneyland. If you haven’t made any plans, what are you waiting for? St Augustine and Disneyland are an amazing combo! (See What is the Northern Most State in the U.S.?)
2. What is the History of St Augustine?
A Spanish admiral Pedro Menendez de Aviles found the city, St Augustine, on September 4, 1565, and named the settlement as San Agustin. This oldest and continuously occupied settlement is of European and African-American origin. The Spanish are responsible for establishing the first enduring settlement in the United States. For over 200 years, St Augustine served as the capital for Spanish Florida. You may wonder, is St Augustine oldest city in the US? Read the next segment to know about it. (See Why is Paris Called the City of Lights?)
3. Is St Augustine Oldest City in the US?
The Spanish King Philip II during that period send Mendez to the New World, America on a mission to get rid of the French from Florida and establish Spanish settlements along the coast. Pedro Mendez first landed at St Augustine and established the place as his base which makes St Augustine oldest city in the US history or more commonly called as Nation’s oldest city. You can also mention it as St Augustine Florida oldest city in the US. (See Is Bahamas part of US?)
4. What is the Climate of St. Augustine?
St. Augustine has a humid subtropical climate (Cfa) typical of Gulf and South Atlantic countries. The city’s low latitudes and coastal locations make it almost warm and sunny. Unlike much of the mainland United States, winter is the driest season in St. Augustine. The hot and humid season lasts from May to October, and the cool and dry season lasts from November to April. (See What are the Names of Coldest Places on Earth?)
5. What makes St Augustine a Tourist Spot?
Is St Augustine oldest city in the US? Yes, being the oldest city in the US is no small thing as the name and the history seen by the city have gained a lot of tourists. Here are some of the reasons why St Augustine, Florida’s oldest city in the US should make your bucket list.
- A historical gold mine: Attention to all history buffs, St Augustine houses more than 40 historical sites including the Castillo San de Marcos fort built by the Spanish as a defense against the British. The St. Augustine Lighthouse is the oldest maritime port in the U.S. The Fountain of Youth is the oldest settlement of St. Augustine. Avilés Street, the oldest public street in the U.S., and, Fort Mose, the first free African settlement in the U.S. (See Why is Europe called the Peninsula of Peninsulas?)
- Ghosts and Pirates: If you are into ghosts and pirates, then St Augustine houses have several ghost and pirate museums to satisfy your thirst. To get an almost real-life experience with ghosts and pirates, St Augustine has this haunted pirate ghost trip on the pirate ship black raven, an immense interactive session with pirates and ghosts of the oldest city.
- Delicious Food: For all the foodies out there, the restaurant and diners owned by the people are completely influenced by international influences resulting in satisfying people with different palettes due to their cultural backgrounds. A few restaurants that you must try when you visit St Augustine are The Columbia, Catch 27, and Cap’s on the Water.
- Pleasant weather: One of the important things that a tourist looks for in a place is the weather. If the weather is filled with humidity etc and is unpredictable, people usually hesitate to visit the place. But when it comes to St Augustine, it is pleasant most of the time. Though the warm and sunny climate of St Augustine makes it an ideal place to visit during the winters.
- Budget-friendly city: Finding cozy and breakfast-type accommodations under 100$ in St Augustine is easy. These accommodations are a mixture of history and modernity that combines coziness and luxury to give the best experience while staying in the city. There are numerous accommodations located within walking distance of the historic district with free parking that save you from the hassle of finding transport or parking troubles. Also, check out What Country am I in?
6. What are the Interesting facts about St Augustine?
- St. Augustine has the narrowest street in the country. At just seven feet wide, this narrowest street connects Treasury Street to the waterfront Bay Street to the Royal Spanish Treasury. (See What is the Time Difference between Australia and USA?)
- St. Augustine is also called an Ancient City or Old City.
- The St Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park is home to every species of alligators, crocodile, caiman, and gharial.
- The oldest wax museum in the US is located in this city.
- To get things a little spooky and dramatic, the Light Tower in St Augustine is rumored to be haunted. Must read What is the Largest Cattle Ranch in The United States?
Now that you have a clear idea of St Augustine oldest city in the US, you can start making arrangements for visiting St Augustine as the city is filled with rich cultural and historical places. Its richness shines through the mixture of cultural differences as the city is a part lazy beach town, part Spanish, and part Caribbean. The different influences in St. Augustine Florida oldest city in the US make it impossible to describe it in a single word, and also makes it one of the most unique and interesting cities in the US. (See 3 Types of Native American Shelters)