The human body has been claimed to be the most complex and outstanding machine. And if you knew about its working inside out, your jaw would drop in amazement. Did you know your heartbeat syncs itself to the rhythm of the song you listen to? Continue reading such fascinating human body facts till the end which will indeed blow your mind!
1. Your left brain controls your right body, and your right brain controls your left body. (See How your mind can make you sick?)
2. The exchange of information between the body and brain occurs at a speed of 268 miles (431.304 kilometers) per hour.
3. The brain receives messages from the sense organs at the speed of 100 miles an hour (160 kilometers per hour). (Also read What are the characteristics of an ectomorph body?)
4. The brain uses 20% of the total energy produced in your body.
5. Your brain will never run out of space. According to research, the human brain consists of 86 billion neurons. Over time, these neurons combine to increase the storage capacity. (See Video summary: You can grow new brain cells. Here’s how by Sandrine Thuret)
6. You always use your whole brain and not only 10 percent of it. (See What Alcohol does to your brain?)
7. The pain you feel during a brain freeze is due to the receptors in the meninges (outer covering of the brain) being hit by a cold. This cold dilates and contracts arteries, resulting in a headache.
8. The brain processes pain signals but does not feel pain. (See How long does it take for Wounds with stitches to heal?)
9. Your brain keeps developing until you are 25 years old. The frontal lobes are the last part to develop, which controls planning and reasoning.
10. Your brain weighs up to 3 pounds (1.5 kilograms). But the size and weight of the brain are not related to the intelligence and functioning of the brain. But your brain is responsible for 2% of your total body weight. (See Study: Male and female Brains Operate Differently at a Molecular Level)
11. Brain tissue can be the size of a sand grain, but it contains more than one billion connections. (Also read How to Heal Yourself Emotionally?)
12. Your brain is the fattest part of your body as the human brain is made up of 60% fat. The fatty acids in the brain are essential for a healthy brain and its functioning.
13. Your brain can generate 23 watts of electric power enough to light an electric bulb. (Also read Who Discovered Electricity?)
14. One of the interesting human body facts is your brain consumes almost 1 quarter of the daily oxygen intake.
15. The human brain is made of 80% of water. (See Why you should drink more water?)
16. Your brain can survive without oxygen for 5–10 minutes. (See Video Summary: 7 Ways Games Reward the Brain by Tom Chatfield | TEDGlobal)
17. The primary communication channel between the body and the brain is the spinal cord.
18. The spinal cord stops growing when you are 4 years old. It is one of the amazing human body facts that will blow your mind. (See How to Stop Back Pain Fast?)
19. During a state of emergency, the brain increases the adrenaline flow. This hormone increases the heart rate with breathing and shuts down your digestive system to allow all muscles to coordinate towards one force. Your pupils are also dilated during such a situation.
20. Your ears are the fastest listeners because they can recognize a sound almost 10 times faster than in the blink of an eye. (Also read What is the Difference Between Hearing and Listening?)
21. Your ears are continually growing and improving. (Also read Famous People With Vitiligo)
22. The brain changes its visual cortex for visually challenged people to respond more to touch and hearing.
23. The earwax is not actually wax. Instead, it is a type of sweat. (Also read Do Animals Sweat?)
24. Your retina receives the inverted image because of the convex eye lens. This image is converted into an erect image by the brain. (See What a short-sighted person sees?)
25. Your eyes can distinguish between thousands of different colors more accurately than any camera.
26. Your eyes are capable of seeing 576 megapixels. At the same time, a digital camera can capture up to 400 megapixels. (Also read Why is Gopro so popular?)
27. The front portion of your eyes i.e. cornea receives no blood from the body. The oxygen required by it is obtained from the air.
28. Eyes blink 20 times per minute, which can be over 10 million times in a year. It is among interesting human body facts to know about. (Also read Is Virtual Reality Bad for Your Eyes?)
29. Your eyelashes have a life span of 150 days, and then they fall off.
30. Your tongue is loaded with 2000-4000 taste buds. Each taste bud contains 100 cells or receptors for giving you the amazing power to taste different flavors. (Also read How Long is a Giraffe’s Tongue?)
31. Everyone has unique and different tongue prints. (Also read 15 Unique Facts About Fingerprints)
32. You produce 40,000 liters of saliva/spit during an average lifetime.
33. Your jaws have the strongest muscles, including the tongue. (Also read What Is the Strongest Muscle in Your Body?)
34. Every part of the human body can more or less repair itself, except the tooth.
35. Similar to your ears, your nose is always growing and developing throughout your life. (See Why do people touch their nose while speaking?)
36. Your sense of smell is 10,000 times more sensitive than your sense of taste. (See How to Breathe through Both Nostrils?)
37. Your runny nose during a fever, flu or cold helps your body get rid of germs.
38. Your cardiac muscle (heart) never gets tired and continues to beat 24/7. (Also read What are the characteristics of a mesomorph body type?)
39. Your heart pumps almost 5.5 liters of blood every minute.
40. Your heart beats 100,000 times per day, which can sum up to 3 billion times for an average life span of 70–75 years. (Also read Are Nootropics Safe?)
41. Bone marrow is the only thing that grows faster in the body. (See How much blood is in Your Body?)
42. Another of the human body facts include pressure created during blood pumping by the heart is strong enough to gush out blood up to 30 feet in the air.
43. Blood is the supplier of oxygen throughout your body. It releases carbon dioxide inside the lungs to be exhaled out. (See What Does It Mean When Your Blood Is Dark Red?)
44. Blood carries nutrients and other enzymes released from the stomach to different parts of the body during the digestive process.
45. Blood is responsible for carrying waste products to the kidneys and liver to be excreted from the body. These human body facts are fun, aren’t they? Read on to find out more, you’re just halfway there! (Also read Do You Poop When You Die?)
46. Blood flow is highest in the kidneys to help its filtration process work at optimum levels. (Also read 14 Disastrous Health Effects of Smoking)
47. You know about four types of blood groups, but there are around 30 other recognized blood groups as well.
48. Your blood vessels can encircle the Earth 4 times if joined end to end. They can cover a distance of about 96,000 kilometers (59,650 miles). (Also read Why do we develop grey or white hair?)
49. The surface area of the lungs in adults is around 70 sq meters.
50. Your lungs have almost 1,500 miles of airways along with more than 300 alveoli (air sacs). (Also read Why do people yawn?)
51. On average, you inhale 11,000 liters of air per day. (See How to treat a Bad Cough? )
52. Your left and right lungs are not the same in size and structure.
53. Hiccups result from sudden twitching of the diaphragm (major muscles for respiration located below the lungs) to intake air. It happens when the closed throat interrupts the airflow. (See World Record For Hiccups)
54. Your left lung is divided into 2 lobes and is smaller compared to the right lung because the right lung has 3 lobes and provides space for the heart.
55. If a person loses about 2/3 of the liver due to surgery or trauma, it will regenerate to its original size in a minimum of 1 month (4 weeks). (Also read What happens to the body in cold weather?)
56. Kidneys have filtering units known as nephrons. These units clean the entire blood of your body in 45 minutes. (See How to keep my Kidneys Healthy? )
57. Urinary bladder receives 2000 ml of urine after the filtration process every day.
58. Your immune system protects you from various bacteria, infections, and viruses. It uses adenoid glands (located behind the nose and above the roof of the mouth) and organs like the spleen and thymus.
59. The skin is the largest organ of the human body.
60. Your skin on the palm and foot soles is the thickest, almost 1.5 mm thicker. (Also read Why Do Snakes Shed Their Skin?)
61. Your skin has 2.5 million sweat pores.
62. The weight of the skin of an adult person can be around 6.60 to 4.82 pounds (3 to 4 kilograms). (Also read 20 Revolutionary Diet Plans to Lose Weight)
63. Your skin is your first defendant because it protects the body from invading microorganisms.
64. Your body removes dead skin from the entire epidermis once a month.
65. Wrinkles appear as you age because your skin gets thinner and drier with age. It is also losing its elasticity. (See How to slow down the aging process?)
66. You enjoy scratching even if it is painful because scratching releases serotonin (pain fighting hormone/chemical) that makes you want to scratch more. (See How to increase serotonin naturally?)
67. Your cheeks blush because of a sudden rush of adrenalin.
68. Your skin is grafted from one part of the body and attached to another part. It is one of the most fascinating human body facts on this list.
69. The bruise after the injury appears when the blood vessels break and the blood is spread into the tissues surrounding the injury.
70. You have 300 bones at birth, but there are only 206 bones when you die. It happens because most bones fuse to form 1 long bone or various small bones. (See Do Women Have Adam’s Apple?)
71. You are 1 cm tall when you wake up but 1 cm short at bedtime. This happens because the soft cartilage relaxes and expands while you sleep. But during the day, the cartilage between your bones is compressed and squashed. (See Who is the tallest person in the world?)
72. Your feet have about 1 quarter (53 bones) of the total bones in your body.
73. Your ears have the smallest bone in the body. The stirrup or staples bones in your ears are only 2.8 mm long. (Also read How many bones are in the human body?)
74. Your legs can walk around the world in 690 days if you keep walking for 12 hours per day.
75. The thigh bone (femur) is the longest bone in your body. (Also read What does it feel like to lose a limb in an accident?)
76. Your teeth are considered part of the skeletal system, but they are not considered bone. (See Why My Teeth Hurt After Waking Up?)
77. Your hands receive their 50% of strength from the tiny (pinky) finger. It has to be a revelation in this 90 mind blowing human body facts list.
78. Humans have strong bones because a matchbox-sized bone can support 18000 pounds (8,165 kilograms) of weight. (See How does it feel to break a bone?)
79. On average, your body’s fat level can make up 7 soap bars. This is one of the most mind-boggling facts human body facts, isn’t it?!
80. Your small intestine is 23 feet (276 inches or 7.1 meters) long. (Also read Do Cows Really Have Four Stomachs?)
81. Your stomach holds the strongest acids. If it comes in contact with your epidermis, it can burn a hole in it. (Also read How Acidic Is Stomach Acid?)
82. Another fascinating fact out of this human body facts list is that your heartbeat starts syncing with the rhythm of the song you are listening to.
83. You cannot swallow and breathe simultaneously. (Also read What does it feel like to get stabbed in the stomach?)
84. You cannot tickle yourself.
85. The brain of a newborn baby cannot form erect images. Therefore, they see everything upside down. (See How does staying up late affect your health?)
86. On average, a human body carries 4 pounds (1.82 kilograms) of bacteria. (Also read How Many Cells Are in the Human Body?)
87. Iron extracted from the human body can be enough to make a 2.5 cm (1 inch) long iron nail.
88. The human head maintains consciousness for about 15 to 20 seconds after being beheaded. (Also read What does being strangled to death feel like?)
89. Men have larger brains than women.
90. Your fingernails grow faster than your toenails. (Also read Why some people bite their nails?)
So now you know about the 90 human body facts that indeed have blown your mind. Share these interesting mind-blowing human body facts with your friends and family for fun and awareness. Stick around for such cool information! (Must read 15 Nicotine Facts Everyone Ought to Know About)