You have often heard sentences like don’t let your past ruin your present, and if you miss this moment you won’t get another, etc. The basic message of these and many more sentences is how vital is to just live in the moment and every second of it. Life is filled with numerous moments of memories, experiences, and meaning. You can’t stay positive or happy all the time. Life has its ups and downs that make you mentally strong and push you closer to trying to find the meaning of life. Knowing how to stay in the present will help you in enjoying every moment. It is always fulfilling and peaceful to just live in the moment. You will learn some tips regarding how to just live the moment and the benefits of enjoying every moment.
1. What are the Benefits of Enjoying every Moment?
Enjoying every moment of your life will help you appreciate life, the people you care about, and even the little things that you have in your life. This topic has been a major talk recently. It is not just trendy lifestyle advice or some short-lived craze. It is a way of life. You never know what might happen tomorrow. The problem is that life doesn’t wait for us. One day you would look back and realize that you spent your entire life thinking about the future or worrying about the past instead of enjoying your life.
Keeping your mind stay in the present is the most understated yet difficult skill to master. And this has nothing to do with spirituality or spiritual aspirations. Some benefits of knowing how to stay in the present are as follows.
- Understanding one’s feelings: When you stay in the present, it will be easy to identify what is making you uncomfortable. You understand what is making you feel overwhelmed or afraid. Once you get an understanding, you try to look for a solution for the uneasiness and solve it. Instead of lapsing into a bleak and negative attitude leading to seeing life as dark and scary.
- Anxiety reduction: Everyone feels anxious at all times. For some, meeting new people gives anxiety. For others, it might be taking up a test in a classroom. The feeling anxious never goes away completely. Having a habit of presence will help us overcome this anxiety and be better prepared for things that give anxiety to us. It reduces the intensity of the feeling of overwhelmedness as staying in present makes us better prepared for tomorrow. (See Uses of EMDR for Anxiety Reduction)
- Personal and professional growth: Living in the moment will help you think about what’s in front of you rather than thinking about a mistake you did yesterday or the what-ifs about an upcoming project. Being mindful of the present will help one concentrate on one’s work, be more productive and help you think outside of the box. You would find yourself growing not only professionally but also on a personal level. Must read the 7 steps for managing difficult employees.
So being in the present is the key to living healthily and happily as it helps you stay grounded, reduce anxiety, and stress and keep you connected to yourself and your surroundings. Being present not only makes us happy but also helps us cope with pain, and negative emotions like fear and anger more effectively. The next segment will discuss how to stay in the present. Continue reading till the end. (See Benefits of The Elevation Experience)
2. How to Stay in the Present and just Live the Moment?
Humans are lucky to live in this beautiful world, and sometimes get lost in their miseries. You lose yourself to the scenarios, things that had happened in the past or that are going to happen in the future, forgetting how to stay in the present and just live in the moment and enjoy it.
It is not as simple as saying. Researches say a practice or a thing becomes a habit if it is practiced for 48 days or more. It is difficult for one who worries a lot about the past and future to stay in the present but it is not impossible. Here are some tips on how to stay in the present.
- Meditate regularly: Even though this has been advised many times, it still gives the intended effect. Meditation is one of the best ways to train one’s mind to focus and make our mind stay in the present. If you are a person who loves working out, then the best alternative for meditation is yoga. Yoga shapes not only our body but also our mind. It disciplines our body, mind, and soul and helps us to focus on the present moment.
- Be aware of your surrounding: One of the key things that push you closer to enjoying every moment is being aware of yourself and your surroundings. In today’s world, everyone needs things to be done in a jiffy. No matter how small a task is, like standing in a line to get a cup of coffee, everyone’s in a rush. This attitude made you forget about all the beautiful things that surround you. You appreciate it only when some eye-opening scenario happens. Take your time to enjoy your surroundings. Be aware of it. Start taking a breath of fresh air every morning. Appreciate the rose you see on your way to work. Listen to the sounds of birds chirping in the morning. Take a proper look at the people around you. The world you live in is an interesting place to be. Only you don’t take a closer look at it. (See What is Priming Theory?)
- Maintain a morning journal: Another great exercise habit that helps you set your mind is by maintaining a morning journal. Endorsed by Julia Cameron, an author, these morning pages help you stay in the present throughout the day. How does this work? Before going to work, school, or anywhere as soon as you wake up, take a note and start writings what comes on to your mind. There’s no proper way or format to do it. This three-page exercise is a stream of morning thoughts that run through your mind on that particular morning. It’s not even considered writing. It’s just your thoughts meant for your eyes only. (See 10 Golden Rules of Life)
3. How to Balance the Future, Present, and Past?
Humans are keyed in such a manner that they always tend to dwell on the past or think about the future. From advertisements to alerts, everything is about the future and past only. What about a present then? How to stay in the present is important or not? (See What to Do When You Feel Like a Failure?)
It’s not possible to not think of the past and the future. It would be foolish to completely ignore both of them. What will happen if you don’t learn from your past mistakes? It would be extremely dangerous to not plan for the future. You need to balance all three to lead a happy life. Here are some ways one can balance the three:
- Think of your past only for a reason.
- Consider the future thoughts for a fixed or less time like the past. Think about things that won’t make you feel overly anxious or overwhelmed.
- Try to stay in the present most of the time. (See Woes of the Bored and Lonely Mind)
So, today you learned about how to stay in the present and what is the importance of staying in the present, and how to balance the future, present, and the past. Engaging in mindfulness or staying in the present doesn’t mean that you are ignoring the past or future. It simply means you are not always staying in the past or future. Past, present, and future is important but staying in the present are more important than the other two. Because it will help you lead a happy and healthy life. (See 21 Most Satisfying Ways To Truly Pamper Yourself)