Human beings spend about one-third of their lives sleeping, and it’s not surprising that they would want to remember their dreams. So, how to remember dreams in the morning? Dreams are a beautiful experience, and one can understand so much by recalling their dreams. By recalling your dreams, you can understand your subconscious mind, or even train your mind towards lucid dreams. Lucid dreaming can inspire as well as entertain you. Although almost everyone dreams often, most people are not able to remember them. Read below to learn how to remember dreams in the morning.
1. Maintain a Journal
You dream in the REM phase of your sleep cycle. It is not uncommon for people to wake up from sleep right after the REM phase. Even when you were up only for a short period of time before you went back to sleep, looking around will distract you from the dream you were having.
So, how to remember your dreams tonight? Hence, if you find yourself waking up from a dream, close your eyes while lying in your bed. Try to recollect as much as possible about the dream you were having. Later, open your eyes, take up your dream journal and write down whatever you can remember before going back to sleep again. If you are too tired to write everything down, note down the important things, and once you wake up in the morning, write down the details.
- Make sure that you have a book and a pen by your bedside instead of having to go to another room to write. If you have to go someplace else to write, there are great chances of you losing memory of your dream or the motivation to write it all down.
- If you are not the person who is interested in writing about it, you can always make use of the recorder on your phone.
2. Sleep Well
Here’s how to remember dreams in the morning tonight by sleeping well for an appropriate duration. A good sleeping routine is of great importance when it comes to trying and remembering dreams. In case you are not able to recollect dreams, here are the various ways to improve the quality of your sleep:
- Do not consume caffeine right before sleeping.
- It is also crucial for you to get 6-8 hours of sleep every night.
- It helps to follow a fixed sleep schedule regardless of whether it is a weekday or a weekend.
- Dim the lights and set your electronic devices aside for at least, thirty minutes.
- Make sure your surroundings are quiet. If you are a light sleeper, you may consider using earplugs.
- If you need some relaxation before sleeping, you can stretch or listen to calming music.
You dream during the first 4-6 hours of sleep, and most of the dreams during this time are associated with memory and repair. As the sleep time progresses, the REM phase of the sleep cycle increases. This phase is the time when most dreams become more interesting. (See Why do we have dreams at night?)
3. Tweak Your Dreams
One way on how to remember your dreams tonight is by tweaking it. If you observe closely, you will realize that it is easier to remember dreams well, if they are exciting and adventurous. You can try stimulating such engaging dreams by doing something different during the waking hours, such as:
- Visit a new place
- Learn something new like painting or dancing.
- Take a different route to your office.
- Dress differently each day.
Additionally, it is known that food and supplements can also affect your dream patterns. Here’s how to remember dreams in the morning by adding these in your diet:
- Melatonin-containing food affects the REM phase of the sleep cycle. Examples: bananas, cherries, almonds, etc.
- Vitamin B6 also affects dreams by increasing dream recollection and vividness.
- Many tribes use different types of herbal teas to induce lucid dreaming among their members. Calea is one such plant whose flowers, leaves, and stems can be used to make teas.
4. Look Out of a Window
This is another habit that you can try and develop to remember dreams better. By looking out of the window every now and then, you develop better observational skills.
- Try looking out of a window and then, pretend that you are seeing a dream.
- Now, describe to yourself what you are seeing, sounds you are hearing, and scents you can smell.
- Keep asking questions to yourself. For example, ask yourself how is the weather out there or can I identify the plants growing outdoors.
- Write down all the details in your journal as you try and capture the dream.
As you keep repeating this exercise, you will get better at capturing the details of everything. Training yourself this way will help you with how to remember dreams in the morning.
5. Keep a Dream Anchor Nearby
A dream anchor is any object that helps you remember your dreams once you see the object. While some people are better at remembering dreams before they open their eyes, others need a dream anchor to help them remember. You must place this object near your bedside so that you can easily see the dream anchor as soon as you open your eyes. Once your brain has associated this dream anchor with the process of recollecting dreams, remembering becomes easier. These objects could be anything: lamp, candle, showpiece, etc.
6. Remind Yourself to Remember
For many people, reminding themselves to remember their dreams is sufficient.
- Keep telling yourself that you can remember dreams.
- Later, write down short reminders for yourself on sticky notes and stick them near your bedside.
- Read the sticky note aloud every night before going to sleep.
This positive affirmation will help you remember your dreams better. (See How do dream catchers catch dreams?)
7. Start Small & Practice More
If you have tried all how to remember dreams in the morning methods mentioned in this article, and you still are not able to remember dreams, then you need to change your tactics. Remembering dreams requires practice, so each step counts. For example,
- Start by remembering a color.
- Analyze your emotions as soon as you wake up. These emotions can sometimes lead you to a particular person or an event.
- Improve your food habits as food can affect your dreams too.
- Take a nap during the afternoon as the dreams are easier to remember during that time of the day.