You all played with a rubber ball in different colors which kept on bouncing. Yes, I am talking about the superball that was every kid’s favorite during the early 2000s. You know it by different names, like rubber super ball, bouncing balls, etc. You must be wondering about the super ball history and the facts about what makes a ball super. You will know the details about how to make a super ball as you read the complete article.
1. What is a Super Ball?
It is a bouncy toy made from synthetic rubber. It is also pronounced as a superball. It is made of Zectron and is very elastic. (See Top 10 Strongest Beyblades)
2. What is the Super Ball History?
In 1964, Norman Stingley, a chemical engineer, was looking for the uses for his synthetic rubber, polybutadiene. During the process of finding various uses for this rubber, he found out that it is super bouncy. He thought that that was the time to find someone who could manufacture it in large quantities. (See When Was Silly Putty Invented?)
3. When did it start being Manufactured?
Norman Stingley offered his invention for manufacturing to the Bettis Rubber Company, but they turned down his offer. The reason was the non-durability of the product. Then he went to Wham-O, an American toy company.
According to Richard Kerr, President of Wham-O in 1966, it took them 2 years to remove the impurities and faults from the rubber that Norman brought. Norman Stingley patented the ball under his name and then the manufacturing began. (See Who invented Paper and When?)
4. How much did they Sell?
The ball was a super hit as soon as it hit the market. It was in 1964, they were selling about 170,000 superballs per day. By the time it was Christmas in 1965, they had already sold more than 6 million balls. Before getting to how to make a super ball, see that McGeorge Bundy, President Adviser, United States of America, shipped 5 dozen (60 balls) to the White House for the amusement of the staff.
5. What are the Properties of a Rubber Super Ball?
Superball is not just a toy because, over time, various uses have been discovered for this ball. (See What are Coloured Glass Blocks?)
- With every bounce, it reverses the direction of its spin.
- Physics teachers use this ball to describe models of impacts.
- It has been used as an illustration of the principle of Time Reversal Invariance.
6. What makes a Ball Super?
Well, the thing that makes this ball super is the bounce and elasticity it has. You can also take white glue for making an opaque ball. For a translucent ball, you can use blue or clear school glue. You can now make this yourself at home too. You can try this homemade project with your kids too. The items needed for the project are as follows:
- Borax 1/2 teaspoon (2.84 grams),
- Cornstarch 1/2 tablespoon (7.15 grams), food coloring,
- Glue 1 tablespoon (9.3 grams),
- Measuring spoons, plastic bags for storage,
- Plastic Cups 2, rubber gloves,
- Warm water 2 tablespoons (29.57 ml),
- Wooden craft stick (for stirring the solution). (See How Does a Plasma Ball Work?)
7. How to make a Super Ball?
Now you have to assemble everything in one place and then begin the process.
- Wear your gloves. Take two containers.
- In one container, mix warm water and borax. Stir until finely mixed.
- In another cup, mix corn starch, food coloring, and glue.
- Now, pour the glue mixture into the cup of borax mix. Stir well with the wooden craft stick and let it rest.
- After a couple of minutes, the mixture will get harder. It is time to take it out of the cup and put it in your palm to shape it.
- If the ball seems firmer than you expected, simply roll it again. (See 75 Little Known Uses of Vinegar)
8. Is Borax safe for Kids?
Usually, borax is used for cleaning purposes, but it is sold on the market as a green product because its main ingredient is sodium tetraborate, which is known as a naturally occurring mineral. But it does not make it safe in all aspects. If you inhale it, you can have nose, throat, and lung problems. And if, by any chance, a person ingests it, then, it causes vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. According to the National Institutes of Health, borax has the following severe health effects on health. Do not worry, I will tell you another way of how to make a super ball. (See How to Clean Your Teddy Bear at Home?)
- Dizziness, headache,
- Hormonal issues,
- Irritation in eyes and skin,
- Lightheadedness, passing out,
- Toxicity, Tremors, and weakness.
9. How to make a Super Ball with Baking Soda?
Borax and cornstarch are not the only ingredients to make a super ball. You can make one with the following ingredients. (See 63 Amazing Ways to Use Baking Soda)
- Baking Soda 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 grams)
- Food coloring 1 drop (your preferred color), glitter,
- Glue 3 tablespoons (28 grams), water 2 teaspoons (9.9 ml)
- Wooden craft stick (for mixing).
10. What is the Process with new Ingredients and Baking Soda?
For this ball instead of borax, you have baking soda as the base.
- In a container take the baking soda and water. Mix well with a wooden craft stick to ensure there are no lumps. Make a thick paste.
- If your ball is sticky, add a saline mixture of 2 teaspoons (9.9 ml) in place of water.
- In a separate bowl or container, take the glue. You can substitute glue with silicone if are short of the required amount of glue.
- Add the food coloring to the glue. Choose the color you want and add just 1 to 3 drops, depending on the shade you want the ball to be.
- In how to make a super ball, use the wooden craft stick to mix the glue well with color.
- You can add glitter to the glue solution if you want it to be sparkly.
- Pour the water-baking soda mix into the glue and mix well with the stick.
- Keep mixing until the mixture is hard enough to not mix any further.
- Now, mold the mixture into a ball shape and leave it to dry for at least 24 hours. (See How to Make Oobleck with Flour?)
Now, you know how to make a super ball with and without borax. Also, now you know the super ball history and what makes a ball super, also according to the physicists. You can enjoy making this rubber super ball with your kids and friends. (See What is the Most Popular Muscle Car?)