Smoke bombs are super fun. There are various types of smoke bombs that require very simple ingredients with easy to follow recipe. Hence, today we will discuss how to make a smoke bomb at home.
1. How to Make Classic Smoke Bombs
Before beginning, it would be wise to learn When Can You Use Smoke Bombs. To prepare smoke bombs, you need an iron skillet, sugar, potassium nitrate, and aluminum foil. Here’s how to make a smoke bomb, classic style:
- Firstly, make an aluminum foil boat to hold the bomb.
- Add 3 parts potassium nitrate and 2 parts sugar.
- Heat the mixture on a medium to low flame and stir it continuously until it has a brown thick syrup-like consistency.
Note: If it starts smoking while cooking, turn the heat down. Do not try to quicken the process.
- Pour this mixture into the aluminum foil boat and let it cool.
- Just, throw a lighted match onto the boat to light this bomb and watch it explode into fumes.
2. How to Make Colored Smoke Bombs
Colored smoke bombs are a fun way to set off brightly colored smoke into the air! The procedure is similar to that of a classic smoke bomb.
- Follow the first three steps listed above to make a classic smoke bomb.
- Then, add two tablespoons of crushed organic dye while pouring the mixture onto the aluminum foil.
Note: Crayons do not contain the right type of pigment to produce colored smoke. Hence, one can order online organic dyes that are more volatile and look pretty as well. (See What are the top 10 favorite colors?)
3. How to Make Smoke Bomb Fountain Fireworks
Smoke bomb fountain fireworks can be made with a little twist in the classic smoke bomb. This fountain shoots up purple smoke and flames. You can make these fountain fireworks by controlling the ratio of ingredients under controlled pressure. The controlled pressure can be achieved by using a paper cone or cardboard.
4. How to Make a No-cook Smoke Bomb
The classic smoke bombs are super fun and easy to make at home but, many of you might be concerned about the mixture getting lit during preparation. There’s an easier way to prepare smoke bombs, and it does not require heating. Although no-cook smoke bombs require the same ingredients, it just takes longer to prepare them.
Here are the materials required to make a no-cook smoke bomb.
- Potassium nitrate
- Plastic cups
- Waxed paper
- Plastic spoons
The procedure to make a no-cook smoke bomb is listed below:
- Take a plastic cup, and add 3 parts KNO3 & 2 parts Sugar, as earlier.
- Take a plastic spoon to stir and add a little amount of water to make a thick paste. Make sure that the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Take small lumps of the mixture and set it onto waxed paper.
- Insert one fuse in each lump.
- Allow the prepared smoke bombs to dry for one or two days.
Note: The lumps will look like clay when they are ready to be lit. Make sure that it is not exposed to excessive light or heat.
5. How to Make a Smoke Bomb using a Ping-Pong Ball?
Did you know that you do not require any chemicals to make smoke bombs at home? If you have a ping pong ball and a lighter at home, your work is half done. A ping pong ball is made out of nitrocellulose so when you burn it, it gives off smoke. Moreover, the burning flame pattern of the ping pong looks more exciting than the smoke from a smoke bomb.
6. How to Produce Colored Flames with White Smoke?
If you want colored fire accompanying the smoke, you can add common metal salts to the preparation of how to make a smoke bomb. Different metals will give out different colors. For example:
- Copper or Borax can give out a green-colored fire.
- The usual potassium nitrate produces violet flames.
- Adding salt will produce a golden-yellow flame.
- Use calcium salts to get orange-colored flames.
Also, if you want to go a bit over the top, you can use small metal flakes of iron, magnesium, or other metals to create stars or sparks. (See Which color is obtained by mixing red and yellow colors?)
7. How to Light a Smoke Bomb?
Obviously, you would need to know how to safely light a smoke bomb and not just, how to make a smoke bomb. Once the bombs are ready, take them outdoors, and light them over a fireproof surface.
- If you have used a fuse to create a smoke bomb, you can use a lighter to light it.
- However, you can also make smoke bombs without fuses.
Either way, make sure you take extra care while handling smoke bombs.