Converting minced garlic to powdered
There are times when instead of using fresh garlic, you have to use powdered garlic either because the recipe demands or fresh garlic is not in stock, but the powder is. In such a situation, the problem with various people comes is in the ratio of cloves how much powder to use?
Fresh garlic substitutes
There are numerous options available in the stores as a substitute for fresh garlic:
- Jarred minced garlic- This one is the closest substitute to fresh garlic as you would find the intended flavour and texture in it. The flavour would not be that strong, but yes close to it.
- Garlic flakes- They are dehydrated minced garlic; hence, if you would put it in a recipe with any liquid ingredients, it would automatically rehydrate and change to minced garlic. A little bit of oil would also change its texture.
- Granulated garlic- It is ground garlic that has a slight texture in it. Hence people prefer it when the above options are not available.
- Garlic powder- If fresh garlic is not available, this can be one of the best options for you. It would give your recipe a great taste, but it has a less vibrant flavour plus has no texture.
- Garlic salt- It is not a perfect substitute for fresh garlic, but if there is no other option, it can still be used to give a garlic taste.
It is vital to know how much quantity of substitutes to use in comparison to one clove of garlic:
- Jarred Minced Garlic- You need to put ½ tsp. of this in place of one clove
- Garlic flakes- These are dried minced garlic; you must put ½ tsp of garlic flakes instead of one clove.
- Granulated garlic- You can use ¼ tsp of granulated garlic instead of one clove
- Garlic powder- Instead of 1 clove, you would need 1/8 tsp of garlic powder.
- Garlic salt- You would have to put ½ tsp of garlic salt in place of 1 clove. Remember, it would also add an extra 3/8 tsp of salt. Hence you would have to reduce the quantity of the salt in your recipe accordingly.
How much garlic powder equals one clove of garlic?
How much garlic powder should I substitute for one clove of garlic? Substitute Garlic Powder for Garlic Cloves.