There is a total of 48 states in the United States. But have you wondered how many states are along the East and West Coasts? East Coast states have 36% of the total population, and West Coast states have 17% of the total population. These states play a major role in the economy and growth of the USA. The map of USA clearly indicates the coast states of the USA. Continue reading to know more about it.
1. What is the East Coast of the United States?
The United States coast of the east is near the Atlantic Ocean in the north. The Atlantic course or the eastern seaboard is also the east coast region. The East Coast includes the 13 original colonies. Most coastal region populated areas are comprised of the states of the East. The total population is nearly 12 million people, which is approximately 36% of the total population of the United States.
New York City is a highly populated city. It is also the largest city with about 8.6 million people. It is also one of the most populated cities in the region. Florida is the largest state with about 65,000 square miles of area, and Rhode Island is the smallest state with about 1544 square miles of area. The Lowa is the least populous state, with a population of about 967,000. East coast also refers to the Appalachian Mountains and its east area having the shoreline from north to south on the Atlantic Ocean. (See Rhode Island Smallest State in USA)
2. What is the West Coast of the United States?
Along the West Coast of the United States coast, the North Pacific Ocean meets the Western United States. It is also known as the Pacific course and consists of the states which are California, Washington, and Oregon. Alaska, not being a contiguous state, is also included in the states along the West Coast. Hawaii is also sometimes included by the US census as the division of specific States. The total population is approximately 51 million. Paleo Indians were the first to live on the West coast. Later, it was colonized by the Russian, French, and Spanish.
The culture of Alaska is similar to the East Coast because of the weather. Between Asia and the United States, the West Coast region is the gatekeeper in terms of economic trade. California exports millions of agricultural products. The epicenter of technology is located in Silicon Valley. Alaska is dominated by tourism, agriculture, oil, and gas. However, Los Angeles has the maximum population among the states on the West Coast. Beautiful speeches, a young population, and thriving cities are well known in the states of the West coast. To get a complete idea of how many states are along the East and West coasts, read till the end. Also, check out what is the Northern Most State in the U.S.?
3. What is the Difference Between the East Coast and West Coast of the USA?
- The population of states on the East Coast is about 36% of the population of the US. In contrast, the population of states on the West Coast is only about 17% of the population of the US.
- The people of the East Coast are more proper and prem, while the people of the West coast are more laid back when their culture, politics, style, and language are compared.
- In the USA, states stretching from the north of Canada to the East Atlantic Ocean are referred to as the East Coast. The coastal states of the Western region, which stretch from the Pacific Ocean, are referred to as the West Coast.
- The number of states is more on the East Coast than on the West Coast. This factor improves the East Coast because there is a diversity in culture and more areas to be traveled. So how many states are along the East and West Coasts: 14 states along the East Coast and 3 states along the West Coast.
- All four seasons are experienced on the East Coast, while the climate is very different on the West Coast. (See What States don’t get Snow?)
4. What Ocean is on the West Coast of the United States?
The North Pacific Ocean, along the coastline of the United States, is the ocean on the West Coast. No other ocean is the largest as the Pacific Ocean on Earth. The US economy depends on the Pacific Ocean because of resources like fish. The word Pacific refers to peace because no storms were observed at sea. The states of the West Coast like Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and California border the ocean. Also, check out what is the difference between a sea and ocean?
5. What Ocean is on the East Coast of the United States?
The Atlantic Ocean is the ocean on the East Coast. There are other bays and seas, but the main body of water is the Atlantic Ocean. The smallest states like Florida are along the Atlantic coastline. The word Atlantic is derived from the word atlas, which is from Greek mythology. It is not the largest ocean but the second-largest ocean. (See What is the Largest Island in Asia?)
6. How Many States are along the East and West Coasts?
There is a total of 48 states in the United States. There are 14 states on the east coast in the north to south order:
- New Jersey
- New York
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- Rhode Island
Pennsylvania is along the East Coast but is not on the coastline. Also, Vermont and Connecticut have no direct coastline with the Atlantic Ocean. Washington DC, the capital of the United States, is between Virginia and Maryland but is also part of the East Coast.
Along the West Coast, there are only three states on the Pacific Ocean coastline: Oregon, California, and Washington. Hawaii and Alaska are also grouped along the regions of the West Coast of the United States. When all the states and their coastline are compared, Alaska has the longest coastline. Hence, there are 3 West Coast states only. So the answer to how many states are along the East and West coasts is 14 on the east coast and 3 states on the west coast. (See What is the Smallest Island in the World?)
7. List all East Coast States along with a Map of East Coast USA with States
To get a better view of how many states are along the East and West coasts, you can check the east coast map of USA. It has the following East Coast states:
- New Jersey
- New York
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- Rhode Island. (See How to find House Facing Direction in Google Maps?)
8. West Coast States List along with Map
How many states are along the East and West coasts? Well, you read the east coast states, the West coastal map of USA has the following names of the West Coast states:
9. What States don’t have Beaches?
The landlocked states which are away from a water body are the states which do not have a beach. There are 27 such states in the United States. The states are:
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- New Mexico
- District of Columbia, Arkansas. Must read what Country am I in?
10. Is Miami East Coast? Is Arizona West Coast?
Yes, Miami is not on the west but the city on the east. But Miami is not like the other east coast states compared to political and cultural features. Other than reading how many states are along the East and West coasts, you must know that the East Coast is typically the northeast. Miami is sometimes not considered the city on the East Coast because of the differences. The weather is warm, and the water is crystal clear blue.
Yes, Arizona is one of the states on the West Coast of the United States, which touches the Pacific Ocean and is the westernmost coastal State. It is landlocked and borders Mexico. The climate is relatively hot summers and mild winters with temperature differences day and night. One of the major rivers is the Colorado River. (See How the States got their Shapes)
11. What Coast is Texas on? Is Florida South or East Coast?
According to the US Census Bureau and the map of USA, Texas is neither on the East Coast nor the West Coast, but it is a region in the south and the central time zone. As you already know how many states are along the East and West coasts, note that Texas has the coastline of the Gulf of Mexico. So it can sometimes be considered on the East Coast but it is on the West Coast if you consider it culturally. The coastline borders Louisiana to Mexico from east to south. (See Is Bahamas part of US?)
Florida is the state of the south and is popular after Texas. Tallahassee is the capital of Florida. On a note, Florida borders two states which are Georgia and Alabama. It is in the southernmost direction of the United States. There is a crescent of islands and a marine shoreline along the gulf. (See Why is Europe called the Peninsula of Peninsulas?)