National Basketball Association (NBA)
After the NFL (National Football League) and Major League Baseball, NBA is the third wealthiest sport by revenue. It is a professional basketball league comprised of 30 teams featuring players from all across the globe. Basketball is one of the most popular sports played around the world
Who started the NBA?
Jmes Naismith, who was a physical education instructor, started this league in the late 19th century. In 1949, the NBA was formed by the merger of the National Basketball League and Basketball Association of America.
3Is Basketball considered a sport?
Basketball is not only known for enhancing a child’s self-esteem and confidence but also for building their leadership skills and developing teamwork abilities. It is relatively inexpensive as compared to many other sports and is considered to be safe.
How is Basketball played?
It is a team sport which comprises of two teams of five players each. Both the teams try to score by shooting a ball through a hoop elevated 10 feet above the ground level. The basketball court is rectangular in shape, consisting of a hoop at each end under organised rules. Also, the mid-court line of the court divides it into 2 main sections.
How long does an NBA game take?
Each NBA game lasts for 48 minutes. When a tie happens amongst the teams playing, this time may increase, as a tie leads to overtime. During the overtime, the game is played independently until a winner is found.
How many quarters an NBA game consists of?
NBA game consists of 4 quarters. Each quarter lasts for 12 minutes making the total game’s duration 48 minutes.
Why Basketball quarter lasts for 12 minutes?
If Basketball holds a quarter for more than 12 minutes, it would have been too exhausting for all players as they keep on running back and forth on offensive and defensive styles.
What is the average total time taken by one NBA game?
It has been estimated including timeouts, pauses, commercials, and other breaks play, an NBA game takes over 2 hours 15 minutes.
What is the first half in Basketball?
There are 2 halves in the Basketball game. The first half is the first of two halves. At the end of the first half, there is a half-time show. The team who loses the jump ball in the first half will start with the ball as soon as the second half starts. Moreover, the first and the second half lasts for 24 minutes each.
Why is it called a basketball?
Naismith contributes significantly to the emergence of ‘Basketball’, who used as goals two half-bushel peach baskets, based on which the sport became famous with the name basketball.
What are the 5 basic skills required for basketball?
What are the rules of basketball?
1. The ball can be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
2. Shouldering, pushing, striking, pushing, or tripping is not allowed.
3. The ball is not allowed to be batted with the fist, but only with hands.
4. The arms or body are not allowed to be used for holding the ball. It must be held between the hands.
5. The player is not allowed to run with the ball. They must throw it where they catch it from.
6. Striking the ball with the fist is considered to be a foul.
7. The ball must be thrown into the field and played by the first person touching it when the ball goes out of bounds.
8. A goal shall be made when the ball is batted or thrown into the basket and stays there.
9. It counts as a goal for the opponents if a side makes three consecutive fouls.
10. The referee is responsible for deciding which side the ball belongs to when it is in play in bounds and shall keep the time.
11. There is a 5 minutes rest in between two 15 minutes halves.
12. The team who score the most goals is declared to be the winner.
Name of all types of basketball shots
•Dunk (Or Jam)
Types of basketball infingements
Persistent Fouling- A player is removed from the game if he commits 5 fouls in a single game.
Technical Foul- When a player is arguing with a referee or is seen with unsportsmanlike behaviour.
Violation- Violation includes illegal dribbling or not releasing the ball within the allowed time limits.
Team Foul- If a team has committed 5 fouls in any one period, the other team is given two free throws.
Backcourt violation- An attacking player cannot cross the halfway line holding the ball once he has advanced the ball beyond it.
Some other infringement includes pushing, illegal guarding, holding, blocking, hand checking, charging, and illegal hand use.
Time limits in Basketball
Basketball includes 4 major rules that decides the time limits of a player to hold the ball that are mentioned below:
1) 24-seconds rule: A team has 24 seconds to shoot once they gain possession of the ball. If that team cannot shoot within those 24 seconds, possession is handed to the other team.
2) 8-seconds rule: A player may lose possession if he cannot move the ball into the frontcourt or over the halfway line from their own half or backcourt.
3) 5-seconds rule: A cloely guarded is allowed to pass or advance the ball towards the hoop within 5 seconds; if not, he may lose the possession.
4) 3-seconds rule: A player can only stand or remain in the opponent’s rectangular ‘key’ area under the basket for 3 seconds. If the player does not leave within 3 seconds, a foul will be called upon that player.
How Many Minutes in an NBA Basketball Quarter?
What is the duration of the basketball Quarter? According to an NBA news release. Currently, each quarter is 12 minutes long (48 minutes total).