Despite giving off an immense amount of heat, the sun is a natural source of light, heat, and energy. To trap this energy for human use, scientists have developed solar devices, like solar heaters, solar panels, solar lights, etc. As we are on the topic, I wonder how do solar powered lights work. Well, today you will get to know about how to charge solar lights without sun, how to charge solar lights in winter, how does solar street light works, and how do solar lights charge. You will get to know about all of these as you continue reading the article.
1. What is Solar Power?
The process of converting renewable sunlight energy into electricity, directly or indirectly, is known as solar power. Photovoltaic (PV) cells are used in the direct conversion process while concentrated solar power systems are used in the indirect conversion. In the next segments you will get to read how do solar powered lights work. (See What Would Happen if There was No Sunlight?)
2. What are Solar Lights and What are they made up of?
Solar lights are lights that work on the energy stored in their batteries that are charged in the presence of sunlight. Solar lights are made up of:
- Control Electronics or circuits,
- Light fixture, and
- Photovoltaic panel. (See All Battery Sizes with Pictures)
3. What are the different Types of Solar Lights?
Some commonly used forms of solar light are as follows.
- Decorative solar lights,
- Solar floodlights,
- Solar lamp posts,
- Solar lanterns,
- Solar pathway lighting,
- Solar-powered motion lights,
- Solar spotlights, and
- Solar streetlights. Also, check out what is the Best Lava Lamp to Buy?
4. How do Solar Powered lights work?
During the day, the solar cell absorbs the radiation coming from the sun. After that, the electricity is generated in the following way.
- The photovoltaic panel or solar cell attached to these lights is made up of several layers of silicone crystalline and chemicals.
- These layers are responsible for creating layers of positively charged spaces and negatively charged electrons.
- The light passing through the cells vibrates the negative electrons and they enter the positively charged spaces.
- The current thus generated is transferred through wires in the solar cell or the battery that is connected with the light. (See Who Discovered Electricity?)
5. What are the Solar Street Lights made of?
The solar street lights contain the following parts.
- Battery box with 74-watt, 75 Ah Tubular batteries.
- Solar Photovoltaic 74-watt Module.
- Compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) 11 watts.
- Inverter or Charge controller 20 to 35 kHz.
- Lamp Post 4 m steel lamp post. It should be painted with weatherproof paint. (See What size Bulb does a Lava Lamp take?)
6. How does Solar Street Light works?
The street lights are affixed with high storage batteries that provide backup for up to 11 to 12 hours. The solar street lighting system has an automatic on/off system that works from dawn to dusk (sunset to sunrise). The tubular batteries are low-maintenance and last for years. The solar energy consumed during the daylights the bulb at night. (See How Is Energy Measured?)
7. How do Solar Lights charge?
While discussing how do solar powered lights work, you must have come across the fact that sunlight is the most important element for charging solar equipment. To let the solar lights work nicely, there must be a proper system of photovoltaic cells and batteries. Without high-capacity batteries, solar energy will not get stored during the day. (See What are Examples of Elements in Everyday Life?)
8. Is Direct Sunlight mandatory?
Though it is not mandatory to place the solar lights under direct sunlight, still, they need some good hours of Sun. Solar lights must be charged for at least 6 hours to work for 8 hours approx. (See What are Examples of Screw as a Simple Machine?)
9. How to Charge Solar lights without Sun?
During the rainy season or on a gloomy day, solar-powered lights cannot get an adequate amount of sunlight. However, there is another way to charge these lights in the absence of sunlight.
- Use artificial lights or incandescent bulbs instead of sunlight.
- Place or bring the solar lights close to these sources of energy.
- Make sure that the lights are close to the bulbs to charge them in less time. Otherwise, the time taken to charge will be more than expected. Must read 3 types of Native American Shelters.
10. How to charge Solar Lights in Winter?
During winters, sunlight is not as hard as it is during summers. Due to this, less amount of energy is stored in the batteries. So to know how do solar powered lights work in winter, understand that you can charge the solar lights more effectively by following these tips.
- Clean the surface of the solar lights to keep it snow and dust-free.
- Reposition the lights to ensure they receive sunlight during most parts of the day.
- Use mirrors to re-direct the sunlight to the solar panels.
- Switch off the solar lights and let them deep charge. (See When do Days Start to get Longer?)
11. How to Clean and Re-position the Lights?
You need to keep the surface of lights clean to let them absorb more sunlight.
- Wipe the surface with a water-soaked microfiber cloth.
- Avoid using detergents.
For repositioning the lights, follow the steps:
- Notice the area or wall where the sunlight falls for the longest hours.
- Now, affix the lights to this new place.
- Let them charge for 8 to 10 hours.
- If required, you can change its position depending on the weather and the present situation.
- Also, avoid fixing them in shadows or under tall trees. (See What does the Thermometer and Snowflake mean on Weather App?)
12. How to use Mirrors to charge Solar Lights?
If you lack such a place where sunlight falls for most hours during winter, you can take help from mirrors.
- Take mirrors larger than solar panels. The size of mirrors is important as it determines how much sunlight they will receive and reflect.
- Place them in a diagonal position from the ground.
- Also, you have to adjust these mirrors with the movement of the sun across the day. (See How to Size a Rough Opening for Bifold Door?)
13. How are Solar Lights beneficial?
How do solar powered lights work, despite their high prices? Take a look at the following advantages of solar lights to know how solar lights are beneficial.
- A Solar system is expensive, but it helps you to save money on your electricity bills.
- It requires less maintenance and only timely cleaning and checkups.
- It works on sunlight, which is a renewable and unlimited source of energy.
- It does not emit pollutants to harm the environment. Therefore, it is eco-friendly.
- You get to choose from various designs, shapes, sizes, and styles. (See How does a Water Wheel work?)
Well, now you know how do solar powered lights work. Now, it is time to share this information about how to charge solar lights without sun, how to charge solar lights in winter, how does solar street light works, and how do solar lights charge. Any more tips from you are welcome. (See What are the Properties of Mixtures?)